SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 04-30-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
mister saturn
mister saturn is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Aura XE not working correctly with aftermarket radio?

I know that the turn signal chime won't work without a special connector, but my dash display doesn't work correctly with another radio as well. The display shuts down randomly and won't show the correct speed, gas level, temp, etc. Any idea what's going on?
mister saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 2007 Aura XE not working correctly with aftermarket radio?

Did you hack the wiring to connect the aftermarket stereo? Did you use an interface adapter?
The only possible connection between the radio and gauge cluster that I can see is the GMLAN communications wiring. I think the GMLAN bus wires are pink and connected to pins 9 and 10 on the 14 pin connector. If left unconnected (unterminated) it might mess up communications on the data bus, causing the issues you see on the gauge cluster. Did you get a check engine light or any codes?
Can you put back the original stereo to see if the problem goes away?
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
mister saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Did you hack the wiring to connect the aftermarket stereo? Did you use an interface adapter?
The only possible connection between the radio and gauge cluster that I can see is the GMLAN communications wiring. I think the GMLAN bus wires are pink and connected to pins 9 and 10 on the 14 pin connector. If left unconnected (unterminated) it might mess up communications on the data bus, causing the issues you see on the gauge cluster. Did you get a check engine light or any codes?
Can you put back the original stereo to see if the problem goes away?
I soldered the new radio's wires to the aftermarket harness wires. The power wire on the harness needs to tap a fuse from the passenger fuse box. I tried pretty much all the fuses, the radio worked but still had an effect on the dash. I don't think the check engine light was on, don't have the means to check the codes though. As soon as I put the stock radio back everything went back to normal.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The GMLAN wires are connected to load resistors inside the stock radio. Leaving the wires floating can cause communication problems on all the modules connected to the GMLAN. A proper interface adapter will allow the aftermarket radio to be connected and avoid the issues you are seeing, along with the ones you don't see. There are many Aura threads that discuss the interface adapter options.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:29 AM   #5
mister saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
The GMLAN wires are connected to load resistors inside the stock radio. Leaving the wires floating can cause communication problems on all the modules connected to the GMLAN. A proper interface adapter will allow the aftermarket radio to be connected and avoid the issues you are seeing, along with the ones you don't see. There are many Aura threads that discuss the interface adapter options.
So a Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 adapter would fix the issues?
Old 05-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

That looks like the right interface.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120LCL...Interface.html