SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Mxturd
Mxturd is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Astra

My daughter is looking at buying an Astra. Is there anything I should look for when we go look at the car? Thanks in advance
Mxturd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2008 Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxturd View Post
My daughter is looking at buying an Astra. Is there anything I should look for when we go look at the car? Thanks in advance
It's been a few days so I guess I could answer this one. Other than what has already been posted on this site, you should look them up too, here are a few things. Generally they are solid well built cars. You may get 100,00 miles out of one and have few or no problems other than the typical wear items such as the exhaust, brakes, battery and tires. You may have more than a few problems with them, especially ones over 150,00 miles. I have had more than the usual.

Speaking of exhaust. Look at the flex pipe, is it falling apart or well on it's way? Usually they are. Check the wheel bearings. This is a semi-common complaint. Has the car been serviced regularly? Spark plugs replaced at 25,000 miles like stated in the owners guide. If they have not been replaced in 30,000 to 40,000 miles the coil pack will probably fail. Oil been changed at least every 5000 miles? I do mine at about every 3500 miles. If not, the camshaft solenoid sensors will probably fail.

Check the condition of the clutch on a standard transmission. They may only last 100,000 miles or so, like on mine. Check the operation of the automatic transmission. They are known to have problems. Again, check any service records, that is if you can get any service records. These cars are getting relatively long in the tooth.

Check the brake pads and rotors for wear. Check the E-brake if it works and if it is not rusted. Like I wrote, these cars are getting old and mine drives in a salty environment.

Are there any service lights on or do these stay on? TPMS, CEL, brake, etc.

Parts are becoming much tougher to find for body, interior and trim, but even they are out there. Sometimes you have to be creative, remember the internet is your friend. Wear items are readily available, if not at your local Pep Boys or Advance, but also on the internet. The only wear items not readily available, I have heard anyways, are suspension parts for the XR 3 door "sport" suspension such as struts and shocks.

As in every used car look at the overall condition. If it looks like it was driven by a guy who beats rented mules, probably look elsewhere. I don't think they are extremely durable cars and they cannot be abused. Usually the 12 volt outlet cover on the console are broken off. As are at least one of the child seat anchors on the back of the rear seats. On 5 doors the wiring to them becomes brittle and breaks, leaving you without power windows or power locks. This is very common. Check for a good repair or a bad "hillbilly" repair on this. Nothing against people who live in Appalachia.

These are things to look for and again surf this site, there is a lot of information here. The internet is your friend.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote