SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 02-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
mstanhope
mstanhope is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Vue 3.5L Transmission Differences?

I tried looking, but found nothing.

I have a customer with a 2006 3.5L Vue FWD here that needs a new transmission. The internal drive chain keeps wiping out the speed sensor and sending the transmission into a frenzy. I felt inside of the transmission and the chain has a good amount of slop in it. Only reasonable solution is to swap in a used, good trans but before I get too crazy, want to ask...

Is there a diffrence with the 2wd and AWD transmission? My brother has a spare transmission for his AWD Vue that he bought thinking his transmission had an internal issue, when he just had a faulty axle. I can buy this trans cheap, but will it work in the 2wd model, or are there different transmissions for each one?

Thanks for your help.

Michael Stanhope
York Auto Repair
Michael A. Stanhope
ASE Certified Technician

2004 Saturn Vue FWD 2.2 5-speed
2003 Saturn L200 2.2/Automatic
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (For towing in the parts cars!)
mstanhope is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Vue 3.5L Transmission Differences?

Saw more then a dozen at local yards for $200-300. I think 200 is cheap. Vs putting in an awd that does not work.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:34 AM   #3
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Vue 3.5L Transmission Differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstanhope View Post
I tried looking, but found nothing.

I have a customer with a 2006 3.5L Vue FWD here that needs a new transmission. The internal drive chain keeps wiping out the speed sensor and sending the transmission into a frenzy. I felt inside of the transmission and the chain has a good amount of slop in it. Only reasonable solution is to swap in a used, good trans but before I get too crazy, want to ask...

Is there a diffrence with the 2wd and AWD transmission? My brother has a spare transmission for his AWD Vue that he bought thinking his transmission had an internal issue, when he just had a faulty axle. I can buy this trans cheap, but will it work in the 2wd model, or are there different transmissions for each one?

Thanks for your help.

Michael Stanhope
York Auto Repair
There is no chain inside these transmissions.

The issue you are describing is not too uncommon on these Honda 5-speed automatics. The play you are feeling through the speed sensor hole is one of the driven gears because the bearing has failed.

Watch at 3:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BATHuNsOKo

The two transmissions are very similar. I believe you could use an AWD in place of a FWD and simply leave the front diff output to spin freely.
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote