SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
1sksc2
1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
Default could my ngk plats be causing misfire

just recently changed my plugs to nkg plats. i thought they would have a better pop.

i had a pending p0301, and i checked everything out allready. wires are only a month old. same with the plugs. this problem occured just two days ago.

symptoms are: misfire, heavy vibration, terrible misfire on cold start. but evens out when it runs for a min.

new ects, and wire connect. coils are good. ecm is good. cps is also good. compression is fair. 183,856 currently on it. time for rebuild. waiting on taxes, i just have to keep her running til then. the wife has dubbed her the zena warrior princess. lmao.

my current fuel trims are way out of wack. ST is -50 and LT -1.56/ i assuming that has to deal with the heavy misfire.

if anyone can give me a place to start it would much help. thanks
1sksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: could my ngk plats be causing misfire

NGK BKR5ESA-11, no substitutes. If you are lucky you did not burn up the new wires as well.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
1sksc2

1996 SL2

rich what is the cause of the plugs making a miss. like what is the different in plug a problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Electrode shape and direction of current flow. DIS will not function properly with the different electrode shape in the plug.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I've had a bad ignition module cause the problems you are experiencing.

(And change to the standard NGK's as mentioned)
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
CBrown
CBrown will become famous soon enoughCBrown will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

I had a post a few weeks ago for "98 SL2 hesitation" and if you read it you will see I checked all kinds of things trying to fix it. The fix was a new set of regular OEM recommend NGK plugs.

It was a PM from another member who got me off the stump. Hope you get it fixed soon!

cb
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
1sksc2

1996 SL2

thanks rich, and friends for the info. ill get the reg plugs asap. and see if that will solve the problem. ill post again to let you know if that was it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
1sksc2

1996 SL2

ok guys. the misfire is gone. so it turns out oldnuc was right again. omg who would have thunk. hahaha. thanks rich and friends.

fuel trims are about right. just got a few things to ask.

i checked my fuel pressure reg. i sucked on the hose to see if i could taste fuel. and i got some fumey taste. i dont think its a huge problem. cuz it was just replaced last year in feb. i was curious because my long term was at -15.56%.
and from what i know about that is that something is wrong.

on the other hand i did take my battery out to get a good long charge on it since here in cedar city the temp hasnt got above freezing in a month and my battery was all worn down. so my monitors haven't reset yet.

and one more thing. my trans wont shift into over drive gear. even when the car is warmed up all the way. i just changed out the fluid before winter. any info would be helpful. thanks guys
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If auto it only has 4 gears and starts in 1st if all temp sensors are reading correctly. Other than that the 2nd gear is skipped. ECTS/TTS/IAC all must match when key first turned to RUN.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
1sksc2

1996 SL2

my scanner will read ects but not the other two. but i took it on the highway and it shifted. and it shifts normally now. thanks rich.