SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
kailuamike
kailuamike is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SW2, door lock switch kaput

Driver's side door lock switch is broken, in that when lock or unlock is pressed, the rocker just flops around and the door lock solenoids chatter. I can stop it by pressing the passenger's side unlock switch while simultaneously jiggling the driver's side rocker. I am guessing that this is a mechanical failure of the rocker, leading to electrical craziness in the switch. Is replacing this thing a monumental task, or can a DIY'er do it? Coincidentally, the driver's window does not go down all the way with one touch of the button; it takes a full press to make it go all the way down. This happened at the same time that the lock/unlock switch went bananas. How are these two phenomena related, if they are?
kailuamike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
USMCBride11306
USMCBride11306 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: 99 SW2, door lock switch kaput

I'm not sure how easy it is to fix, but I literally just had my door locks fixed. Yesterday as a matter of fact. Mine had the same issues.

If you can't do it yourself, it's really inexpensive to have fixed. It only cost me 175 (parts and labor) to have it done at the dealership. But you want to do it. I'm not sure if this would happen in all cases, but mine was draining the battery because the switch was always in the on position. A new alternator and countless batteries later, it's fixed.
USMCBride11306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

$175 is a LOT to fix this, especially since you don't need to get all grubby and the tools are easy to find. I'd look at the following Richpin video and take off the door handle so you can more carefully inspect what's wrong with the rocker switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF5vCjhcyd8

You might look at my photo pages here, I have some closeups of the backside of the door handle and the electrical connector that's the same on your car, plus some commentary from when I needed to remove & replace the window regulator.

If you go to any decent junkyard, you can pull a replacement part for $5 with very little time and effort.

I would get one of those little hookend tools as seen in the video and below to remove and replace the control rods, though. That might run you a max of $10 and save you some time and frustration.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on or have any Qs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hook_Tool.jpg (2.1 KB, 11 views)
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The door handle just screws on, and connects via the control rods.

You need that hook for the window handle; this is one of those evil little things our cars DID inherit from GM. That stupid horseshoe clip hidden behind the handle, used by GM since the "I Like Ike" days. Just because they evidently have a vanity issue with a SCREW in the middle of the handle axle. The day I hear of someone trying to look cool in her/his non-GM ride, and getting turned down for sex, drugs or anything else as a result of the other party seeing such an unsightly thing as a screw attaching the window handle, I'll eat my ECTS.

Rant off, never mind. You have power windows. Disregard all reference to the hook (and thank your lucky stars you don't have to eff with it).
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

The hook tool is useful for the window winder handle, but it also is useful for taking off & especially PUTTING ON the plastic control-rod hooks. I'm sure it's possible to do it without this tool, but it makes for less time/frustration/extended time in purgatory for all the cussin' you'll do.....
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
MikeD2
MikeD2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2002 SL2

The switch itself pops right out with a screwdriver. Disconnect the wiring clip & the locks will still work using the key fob or the switch on the other door.

When you have the switch out, pop the rocker off. Inside you will see a broken white plastic piece about 1/16" round by 3/8" long, that is the problem. It can't be fixed.

The only reason I know this is because it happened too me last week. My switch is still sitting in a candy dish where I keep my keys. I may stop at a junk-yard to look for one. Good luck!!
MikeD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
caliber bob
caliber bob is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
The switch itself pops right out with a screwdriver. Disconnect the wiring clip & the locks will still work using the key fob or the switch on the other door.

When you have the switch out, pop the rocker off. Inside you will see a broken white plastic piece about 1/16" round by 3/8" long, that is the problem. It can't be fixed.

The only reason I know this is because it happened too me last week. My switch is still sitting in a candy dish where I keep my keys. I may stop at a junk-yard to look for one. Good luck!!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but this is exactly what I needed to know. I just ordered a new GM switch on ebay. If anyone else is looking for one, they have several more available. I wanted to avoid taking the door panels off and this is the perfect solution. Thanks!

BJ
caliber bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
caliber bob
caliber bob is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

@Mike - New switch arrived and I installed it in less than a minute. Works perfectly. Thanks for the solution.

BJ
See that car on the left? A contractor's dream car!!!
caliber bob is offline   Reply With Quote