SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
ParrishIon
ParrishIon is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Question 07 Ion 2 Driver's Side Auto Door Lock Issue

Hey fellow enthusiasts! My 07 Ion Level 2 has 2 quirks I have faced so far. The driver's side lock will not lock or unlock with either fob I have. This adds the risk of accidentally leaving the driver door unlocked. However, the alarm still works. Sadly, it's usually me setting it off if opening it b4 unlocking. Is there a relay or fuse specific to this?
ParrishIon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 07 Ion 2 Driver's Side Auto Door Lock Issue

1- Are the other door locks working when using remotes? If none work then it may be a power, fuse, wiring or bcm issue. If doors lock/unlock with remotes except driver's door then it may be a power, wiring, door lock/unlock solenoid or mechanical issue related to the driver's door.

2-Does the driver side lock/unlock tab work manually to lock/unlock this door? If no then a mechanical issue may be binding, preventing the solenoid from operating. If manually locking/unlocking works then the problem may be wiring at the door hinge or connection to solenoid, sticking solenoid/linkage or dead solenoid. Listening for this solenoid while pressing either master or driver door switch lock and unlock should elicit sounds from inside that door. Placing fingers lightly on the door lock tab while exercising door locks should feel like the solenoid moving linkages in the lock/unlock cycles.

You'll probably have to remove the door panel for access to the door lock linkages, solenoid and connector. Once accessed, measuring for 12v on the connector while cycling door locks should display momentary voltage to verify intact wiring. My guess is one main fuse powers all door lock solenoids. The remote or door lock switches send commands to the bcm. The bcm sends door lock signals to driver and remaining door locks for locking/unlocking. Since door lock solenoids are powered momentarily, relays aren't needed for the bcm to control them directly thru a power transistor or two. BCMs rarely fail.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #3
ParrishIon
ParrishIon is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Wow thank you! That covers all possible bases. I will let you know what I find. I am likely going to post quirk #2, but since you seem so fully knowledgeable on the Ion, have u run across the issue on 07s where the cruise Control res +/set - button on the right side of the steering wheel stopped functioning, and even after replacing the 2amp fuse as well as the switch itself being replaced to no avail?
ParrishIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have cc and an led turns on, on the power button when pressed to tell me cc is enabled or at least power is supposed to be connected to the cc circuit. Pressing any other cc button either verifies cc operation or not. The car must be above a minimum speed (15 mph? ) before cc allows operation. Checking fuse and switch eliminates several easy steps that should have solved this problem. Did you check for actual power on the fused connection? Ignition must be turned on to check cc fused power. Presuming no major repairs were made in and around the steering wheel controls and wiring associated with steering wheel controls or other areas of wiring, leaves the cc electronics. I'm guessing the ecm has the cc program. I tend to lean on ECMs rarely failing when external wiring and sensors fail to send signals to the ecm. The ecm is only as good as the weakest wiring connection or sensor to trip it into partial failure. The ecm will not allow cc operation if the brake or park switch failed or engine problems exist. Cc must have an engine running free of problems and at speeds free of interference for cc to operate at selected speed setting. Here's where service manuals help with diagrams and descriptions to allow better troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I do not have access to online services providing service manuals otherwise it would just be a matter of looking up cc operation, drawings, diagrams, wiring and sensors used to 'see' what may fail and connect your descriptions of repairs to attempt narrowing down where the problem may lie.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote