SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 05-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
snowkilts
snowkilts is a jewel in the roughsnowkilts is a jewel in the roughsnowkilts is a jewel in the rough

Default TPMS scan tool

Has anyone tried a TPMS scan tool on an Aura? I'm thinking of getting one if these: https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiTPM...omotive&sr=1-5

I have a tire light that blinks, then comes on solid, indicating a problem with the TPMS system. I've seen other threads indicating that the DIC should show actual tire pressures, but this does not seem to be the case with a 2007 Aura.

As an added complication, I cannot put the car in relearn mode because I do not have an original key fob. The car is equipped with an aftermarket remote entry and starting system. I have not found an alternate relearn that works on 2007s.

According to the literature, this tool should be able to read the sensors individually (assuming they all work), then relearn the system through the OBD port. If a sensor needs to be replaced, this tool will also activate Autel brand replacement sensors. Obviously the tire needs to be demounted to replace a sensor.

I'm finding the world of TPMS to be very confusing. The previous owner of the car told me she took it to multiple tire shops but was told the TPMS "couldn't be fixed". I, of course, take this as a challenge.

Any insight anyone has would be appreciated.
snowkilts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: TPMS scan tool

Is is a tpms fault or tire sensor battery dying? If you search for sensor battery life in your owner's manual or online, battery life is limited to around 10yrs. When was the last time one or all tire sensors were replaced? There should be guide lines on replacement intervals coinciding with tire replacement. Alldata or Mitchell online service manuals can help before presuming tpms failure or investing in a tpms scantool.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I'd agree with fdryer, the battery in one or more sensors is most likely near dead. Some scan-tools can tell you the battery status of each sensor. I had to replace the sensors in my 2008 Aura. Mine wouldn't go any further in the relearn process once it got to the sensor with the dead battery.
To get into relearn it would be cheaper to buy new key fob and have it programmed to the car or buy a kit like this, comes with a programmer.
If your Aura came with factory remote start...
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-13731-...07+Saturn+Aura

If your Aura came with only RKE...
https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-24843-R...07+Saturn+Aura
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #4
snowkilts
snowkilts is a jewel in the roughsnowkilts is a jewel in the roughsnowkilts is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Is is a tpms fault or tire sensor battery dying? If you search for sensor battery life in your owner's manual or online, battery life is limited to around 10yrs. When was the last time one or all tire sensors were replaced? There should be guide lines on replacement intervals coinciding with tire replacement. Alldata or Mitchell online service manuals can help before presuming tpms failure or investing in a tpms scantool.
I have no idea what the status of the sensors is. The vehicle is new to me. The scan tool also has the ability to trigger the sensors individually and determine their status.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
snowkilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
To get into relearn it would be cheaper to buy new key fob and have it programmed to the car or buy a kit like this, comes with a programmer.
I saw your earlier post on this as well. I'm just wondering if the aftermarket system would have interrupted the function of the original fob.

Like any other tool, I don't mind spending the money on the scanner, because then I'll have a scanner. I just don't want to buy a tool if it's not going to work.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

When I was having sensor trouble I went to a tire shop. They read the sensors for free, with their tire tool.
I can't tell you if that tool will do what you want or not. There is an email address in the ad you posted, maybe ask them. You'll probably buy that tool only to use it the once to find that the batteries are weak and then have to buy new sensors anyway.
I don't believe an aftermarket remote start could disable the built in pressure sensor relearn function. Aftermarket systems are hacked in to the wiring externally to the computers built in to the car.
Look on the RPO code sticker in the glove compartment, if you see AP3, your car came with factory remote start.
Complete list of RPO codes is here so you can find what options your car came with.
https://www.newgmparts.com/decoding-...tors-rpo-codes
Old 05-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #7
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

When I was having sensor trouble I went to a tire shop. They read the sensors for free, with their tire tool.
I can't tell you if that tool will do what you want or not. There is an email address in the ad you posted, maybe ask them. You'll probably buy that tool only to use it the once to find that the batteries are weak and then have to buy new sensors anyway.
I don't believe an aftermarket remote start could disable the built in pressure sensor relearn function. Aftermarket systems are hacked in to the wiring externally to the computers built in to the car.
Look on the RPO code sticker in the glove compartment, if you see AP3, your car came with factory remote start.
Complete list of RPO codes is here so you can find what options your car came with.
https://www.newgmparts.com/decoding-...tors-rpo-codes
Old 05-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #8
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Sorry for the double post, server maintenance started just as I posted.
Here is a copy of the owners manual, in case you don't have one.
My 2008 shows actual tire pressures, the 2007 does not.
https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...ura_owners.pdf
Old 05-09-2021, 06:54 AM   #9
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

If you plan to keep the car and have a laptop, you might be better to invest in a VCXNANO. It emulates the GM TechII tool that the dealers use and can do whatever the GM tool can do.
I think it can program key fobs as well as the TPMS. I also think it's bi-directional so you can toggle solenoids to aid in troubleshooting as well as programming the VIN into modules.
fdryer has one, maybe he will chime in...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vcxnano+g...x_pf_dsk_mvftr

This walk through programming key fobs on a Saturn...
http://blog.vxdiagshop.com/2020/12/0...nano-tech2win/
Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have programmed several remotes with VCX NANO but cannot find anything in the menu about tpms. Auras are listed and an initial menu search for tpms doesn't appear. TPMS may appear in a menu onscreen if VCX NANO is connected to a GM vehicle with tpms when communications occurs automatically to allow additional menu selections. Since L300s never had tpms, I cannot test for it. The only way to check for tpms communications is connecting to a GM vehicle with tpms. Online chat offers help from https://www.vxdiagshop.com/wholesale...i-version.html.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

TPMS software lives in the RCDLR module along with the RKE program. It could be that you need to connect to that module to see the TPMS data.
However, once a key fob is programmed, the stock relearn functionality will be available.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Just for info tire pressure readings on aura dash were 2009, 2008 and 2007 green line hybrid so normal 2007 didnít have that...
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
snowkilts

I just wanted to post an update on this.

I ended up buying a TPMS scan tool (this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293741614917).

It worked perfectly. I was able to read the sensors and verify that they are all working. I was able to "relearn" the ECU through the OBD port (not to be confused with "programming" sensors, which is completely different). After some driving, everything appears to be working and the TPMS light is off.

As imaddicted2u pointed out, there was probably a cheaper way to do this, but this way I got a nice little scan tool.

I would also add that the tool I bought was advertised elsewhere for around $225, but this seller was selling it for $158. The cheaper version apparently only included updates for three years, as opposed to lifetime for the more expensive version.