SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 02-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Redbird62
Redbird62 is on a distinguished road

Default 08 Astra won't turn over

Everything is fine power wise. Put a new after market coil pack in(1A auto). GF's driving home and it died, at her mech shop they found blown ECM fuse, replaced still won't turn over. He replaced the clutch safety switch, still won't turn over. ???? I'm going to go through the entire fuse panels first off tomorrow...Lost...

I'm having it towed home, he has had it 3 weeks and doesn't have a clue either.... I've been around cars, mostly old muscle cars, most of my 53 years. I'm not new to the basics but these new computerized ones I'm still learning. I have a OB2 code reader, but don't have the car home yet.
Redbird62 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 08 Astra won't turn over

First, clarify your definition of "won't turn over". Does this means the starter turns the engine but the engine won't fire up or no starter sounds, dead silence?

OBD II readers/scantools are simply another tool to add to the tool box because of electronic sophistication of EFI systems. Just like buying sockets to be able to turn nuts and bolts in tight places, readers help decode stored error codes in OBD II systems. Sockets and readers still requires an educated person to use them. And readers are only helpful when the check engine light is ON otherwise they're useless; once the OBD II system detects an error, it stores the error code in temporary memory and turns on the engine light. Plugging in a reader will display the stored error code(s) to help with troubleshooting.

What makes our EFI systems different from non EFI systems are the electronics and computerized controls with sensors to make engines run better and more reliable. While it can be difficult to understand, knowing basic engine principles and learning what each sensor does can make the transition from carburetors/distributors to electronic fuel injection less confusing. Adding the factory theft deterrent systems to prevent stolen cars using rfid/chip in the key technology simply adds another layer of electronics. Your xponder key either disables injectors, fuel pump or starting circuit when its enabled and active. Review your owner's manual for clues when PassKey II is active and any indicators telling you its active (security indicator).

Examples of Saturn factory theft protection; one model of the S-series used a starter interrupt circuit to prevent the starting circuit from operating, the L-series has Passlock and disables injector operation when active and Ions went back to disabling the starting circuit to prevent theft.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Redbird62

Won't turn over means won't turn over. Doesn't start normally would mean turns over doesn't start. I'm not a noob when it comes to cars, I know exactly what the difference is between Aspirated, MPFI and EFI, what I don't know is all the circuitry involved, but I do know the basics of how certain sensors effect the mixture ect ect... I don't know exactly what has been checked and haven't dug into running any voltage test. All I really know is what it did before it died and that the dash fires up has 12v at battery, won't jump, but won't turn over ie the starter doesn't engage. The Mech said it has no voltage at the starter. He tried a new clutch safety switch put new ECM fuse and the old coilpack in that had #1 cylinder not firing... I'm kinda frustrated with this shop having it for 4 weeks.... I'd rather work on my Silverdo... It is alot easier to find answers too....
Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Take it to GM dealer if you don't have time.
I had this happen few days ago on another Saturn, some electrical gremlins in the ignition switch.
They diagnosed and fixed in two hours.
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

NO voltage to the starter suggests to me a discontinuity of the power feed from it to whatever fuse/relay feeds it.

Did you mech. ring out the power feed back from the starter?

What about manually jumping the starter to ensure it's functional?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird62 View Post
Won't turn over means won't turn over. Doesn't start normally would mean turns over doesn't start. I'm not a noob when it comes to cars, I know exactly what the difference is between Aspirated, MPFI and EFI, what I don't know is all the circuitry involved, but I do know the basics of how certain sensors effect the mixture ect ect... I don't know exactly what has been checked and haven't dug into running any voltage test. All I really know is what it did before it died and that the dash fires up has 12v at battery, won't jump, but won't turn over ie the starter doesn't engage. The Mech said it has no voltage at the starter. He tried a new clutch safety switch put new ECM fuse and the old coilpack in that had #1 cylinder not firing... I'm kinda frustrated with this shop having it for 4 weeks.... I'd rather work on my Silverdo... It is alot easier to find answers too....
You'll have to take a step back for a moment. The reason for clarification is to separate those that do not know the difference between no start (as in engine turns over but doesn't fire up) and no start (as in no starter sounds). Do you see the difference? While you may see it only your way and know your way around cars, public forums are filled by many clearly not knowing the difference in wording. Questions to clarify statements are asked as there are many that mean one thing but mean something else.

Without any more info, below is the starter wiring for the XE model (no mention of which model). To make this difficult, your Astra uses PassKey II, the factory immobilizer with an rfid/chip in the key theft deterrent system. When its enabled and active, starting may be disabled to prevent stealing a car without the chipped key. An indicator usually turns on or flashes during starting attempts. Depending on whether this problem is from the theft deterrent system disabling starting or something related to the starting circuit is unclear. The starting circuit is no longer a simple ign switch sending 12v to the starter solenoid. Factory immobilizer circuitry in conjunction with low voltage logic signaling is used to reduce wiring weight. If you look over the wiring drawing, you'll also notice several fuses used in the starting circuit; a 175A Fuse 4, 25A Fuse 18, 7.5A Fuse 34 and 200A Fuse.

You may have a worn out starter (no mileage mentioned), an intermittent faulty theft deterrent system, a worn out battery, loose/corroded battery cables, a worn out 87A start (K9) relay, or a blown fuse.

I doubt any garden variety mechanic is reading the service manual wiring and info on theft/immobilizer systems for your Astra. Once past the basics, electronics requires access to service manuals................
Attached Files
File Type: pdf starting-charging-starting-circuit-1-of-1.pdf (18.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Redbird62

Lets go through this again,,, I put a knew coilpack in, my GF was driving down the road, the car died and would not turn over, she had to have towed, Her mechanic found a blown ECM fuse.... He though maybe clutch switch and replaced it and it still won't turn over...

fdryer,,, TY for schematic, that will help EXTREMELY helpful...

The car has 35k on it... it is fairly well maintained. It is a 08, 4 door hatch XE with manual trans.

NOW I doubt it is the starter unless while it's running down the road it runs through the ECM circuit,,, not likely...

The problem is it won't turn over, but why did it blow the ECM fuse going down the highway ???

The coilpack was from 1Aauto,, kinda iffy... it came in a box **made in china** with no part # on it... This is what bothers me, could have that coilpack damaged the ECM ??

I'm going through the entire fuse today, I don't think her mechanic did... I'm also going to ohm some out the sensors an switches.

I am a maintenance mechanic by trade, industrial machines and a good electrician. I can read and understand schematics quite well.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Redbird62

Well Thanks to that schematic and the owners manual I got it running. You won't believe what it was... Her mechanic didn't put the the ECM IGN fuse back in...
Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for following up. As you saw, the wiring diagram on our cars are more complex than were years ago.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
Redbird62

Well the mystery why it blew the ECM fuses is over as well. I picked up the 1Aauto coil pack from the shop and it has a blow out on the top of #4 cylinder plug.... Never going cheap online parts again...
Old 04-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #11
chrissavant76
chrissavant76 is on a distinguished road

I bought a 2008 Saturn Astra xe. When I first got it is was sitting for a few months. So I jumped it started up drove around for a lil while parked it next morning it cranked killed it 2 hours later went to try it nothing just a clicking sound from the relays in the fuse box. So started reading they said starter. So got started changed it out got it all installed to have same problem no start or turn over battery is brand new. So was thinking I need to buy all new relays will be my next step. So if anyone can help me out I really appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.
chrissavant76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #12
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

We don't see many people with relay problems here.

Can you get a code reader and check for codes?

Beyond what is noted by others above, I would begin by fully charging the battery. The battery should read about 12.6v at the battery terminals when the car is off. Not sure if it could start the car at 12.2v.

Clean and well secured wires at the starter are critical on these cars. So double check.

If the car is from a place with a lot of rain or snow, the main electrical contacts may be corroded and you are not getting sufficient energy to start the car. You can do a voltage drop test. Then disconnect the battery and clean the battery terminals, clamps, the connections at the starter, the connections at the alternator, the grounds (some are below the battery, some are below the UEC box, one brown wire is on top of the engine...). You can clean some of the main battery terminals also.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote