SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
A1cntrler
A1cntrler is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Hello! New Astra owner with a couple questions..

Hello! I just purchased a Saturn Astra 3 door XR (113,000 miles) for my son as his first car. Of course the salesman tried to scare me away from the defunct car company (Saturn) and a one model year only car, but I did my own research and know that there's parts available and really it is a global platform that has been around for years...

Anyways it's a silver 3 door XR. I've already replaced the antenna base (weather seal was cracked up, no leaking yet but wanted it done) and fixed a few minor things in the interior. Outside and underside of the car are nearly pristine and I cannot find a speck of rust on it anywhere. I went ahead and did an oil change (filter was worst I've ever seen, collapsed and clogged. No telling when it was last done) and Pulled the wheels to check all the brakes/joints and bushings. All are in good condition, but the rotors are grooved and service history does say the front rotors were turned once in the cars life so far, so I've already ordered a full set of rotors/pads for it. The cabin air filter had a date on it of 11/20/2007 and was nearly plugged completely with dirt and leaves. A few minutes with a brush and vacuum got the housing cleaned out and a bit of weird contorting of my body I was able to get a new one in place. Next on my list is a water pump replacement. Current one seems to be leaking out the weep hole and throwing Dexcool onto the underside of the hood via the AC compressor. While I'm there I'll put new hoses on (that was a expense greater than expected, but the OEM ones look ok, but they're old and still have a factory spring retainers everywhere but at the thermostat housing (looks to have been replaced fairly recently). So anyways, the car is in good hands and I'm trying to get everything set as new for him as a good baseline to do his own maintenance on.

The question I have involves the DIC. I have ordered a Connects2 for the car to retain the steering wheel controls as I am installing a Pioneer double DIN head unit so he can use his Apple Carplay in it. The "Settings" button on which you access the clock settings and a few other things is located on the CDC40 panel which will be removed to put in the trim ring and head unit I'm installing. Once removed, how does one set the clock there (also does it only always display in 24h, not 12h mode? Haven't found a setting for that) or will it simply no longer display? Will the temperature still be available on the DIC with the Connects2 adapter?

Thanks in advance!
A1cntrler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Hello! New Astra owner with a couple questions..

Clock is only military time.

Several people upgraded the radios here so you might search the forums. Someone here might respond but in the meantime, here is a member's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLmcYslcyo

I would replace the spark plugs, air filter, accessory belt, and brake fluid.

The waterpump is easy to change.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
A1cntrler

2008 Astra XR

I did replace the air filter already. Ordered it when I bought the oil and cabin air filter. The accessory belt is on order and will be replaced when I do the water pump. Brake fluid will be changed as well when I do the brakes once the rotors arrive and pads.

Forgot to mention the timing belt was done already at 76k miles, so that's got a bit longer still. I did take off the inspection cover to look and verified it's not oem, it's a Gates. I'll pick up some plugs for it.

Also I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket as there's some oil seeping out around it.

Thanks for the reply! I did search last night and digging through I found a couple answers. Clock can be set still with the Connects2 via the settings menu which once connected is accessible through the steering wheel buttons.

The time is in 24h but is changeable to 12h at a dealership using the tech stream software. Seems like a simple option that should have been user accessible to me...
Old 03-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Interesting... I don't think anyone here ever got that clock out of military time format. If you have a dealer update / adjust any firmware, you might look for a former Saturn dealer that he has recently worked on an Astra, rather than a random GM dealer. The reason is that (some) the Tech II work MIGHT (or NOT) require some additional European software install. This Astra video series by Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics gives you an idea of the extra software that the dealer might need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pk0ndM-Z9w

The leaking valve cover gasket is a common problem. One popular "similar" problem in that area is a torn PCV flap; that is incorporated inside the valve cover. Somebody sells replacement PCV flap kits, but the valve cover plastics are pretty brittle from heat & oil so a new valve cover might be a better option, if your PCV flap is broken.

Great news the timing belt was recently replaced.

Here are a couple of interesting Android installs

https://magazine.odroid.com/wp-conte...ine-201506.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vp2UE5ZyQ

Somebody (Russian?) put the factory screen in the roof panel and an android screen in the dash; can't find that video or posting, unfortunately.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
A1cntrler

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Interesting... I don't think anyone here ever got that clock out of military time format.
Thanks for the links!

I went back and found the thread where someone says it was changed to 12hr format.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...rmation+Center
Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
Yenta Attack
Yenta Attack is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Am I the only one that changes all of my clocks to H24 format? No issue for me to use H24 format - in-fact I change all my clocks to this format when H24 is available.
Yenta Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
A1cntrler

2008 Astra XR

24h is fine by me. I'd set them to utc myself🤣

My son is the one that drives it though and gives me a blank stare when I tell him how to read it.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1cntrler View Post
I did replace the air filter already. Ordered it when I bought the oil and cabin air filter. The accessory belt is on order and will be replaced when I do the water pump. Brake fluid will be changed as well when I do the brakes once the rotors arrive and pads.
Just a quick note on the brakes. I just did the rears on mine (pads and rotors) and it was a pretty quick job, but in case you don't already have it the Lisle model 28600 piston retractor tool was a real help. Can't really get a C-clamp in there easily because of the handbrake parts on the back of the caliper, and the tool was only about 10 bucks. Also, the weird-o Torx E18 bolts on the mounting bracket worked perfectly with a 9/16" 12-point wrench.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #9
A1cntrler

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
Just a quick note on the brakes. I just did the rears on mine (pads and rotors) and it was a pretty quick job, but in case you don't already have it the Lisle model 28600 piston retractor tool was a real help. Can't really get a C-clamp in there easily because of the handbrake parts on the back of the caliper, and the tool was only about 10 bucks. Also, the weird-o Torx E18 bolts on the mounting bracket worked perfectly with a 9/16" 12-point wrench.
Thanks for the tip! I have a nice full set of torx and e-torx so those won't be an issue. Also have a full brake too kit to retract those pistons. I'm replacing wheel bearings in the rear at the same time. One of them back there is on the way out.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Check the emergency brake cable is not binding from internal rust; that happened to mine and killed the left rear pads.

2 of the bolts take a lot of power to remove!
Old 04-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Indeed. The mounting bracket bolts required some muscle. When they did finally come out, they looked almost pristine on the inside, with factory blue thread locker still visible. The dust shield looked awful, though.

I'm happy that I went 122k on original brakes, but surprised that it was the rears that bit the dust first.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote