SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Center Exhaust Section

Has anyone bought one of the European sourced pieces for their NA Astras? These have been long since unavailable from GM parts stateside. I bought one off of eBay from jolly old England but I have run into a bit of a sticky wicket. Now the seller wants the VIN to make sure it is correct. Their are some within year and within model variances, apparently. Also the bloke wants to chop the thing in half just to be able to ship it.

The Klarius P/N is GM597A which cross references to our Saturn GM P/N of 13244456. It also cross references to the following manufacturers P./N's: Bosil 284-735; EEC EGM597; EUROFLO EXGM3158; GT Exhausts GM597 and Walker 23145. It also matches Opel P/N 58 52 673.

Will this part fit our Astra? I am 99% sure but I just need to confirm this. On the axing off the exhaust just like Ann Boleyn's head, I don't even want to think about that because it is out of the question.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Center Exhaust Section

If you have a nearby custom muffler shop they might have something off the rack that they can adapt.

Another alternative is to buy used from a junkyard. Special Way in Detroit (313-279-7700) has a black Astra XR; ask price [exhaust assembly] is $125. You might look for a southern car for less salt but more shipping charges. There is another at Buckeye in Ohio (330-549-2700), no price listed.

Goob purchased some suspension parts from Europe and I purchased some smaller bits. Transport takes some time and is a bit pricey. Some sellers get cold feet before shipping so be open to different alternatives Given the massive shipping costs, you might have them lop off the tube and have a local shop properly weld the thing together.

The Euro cats might cause issues but I don't know why the middle silencer would...not sure there.

Last edited by AstraFasta; 03-14-2021 at 10:11 PM. Reason: changed and added junkyards
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
If you have a nearby custom muffler shop they might have something off the rack that they can adapt.

Another alternative is to buy used from a junkyard. Special Way in Detroit (313-279-7700) has a black Astra XR; ask price [exhaust assembly] is $125. You might look for a southern car for less salt but more shipping charges. There is another at Buckeye in Ohio (330-549-2700), no price listed.

Goob purchased some suspension parts from Europe and I purchased some smaller bits. Transport takes some time and is a bit pricey. Some sellers get cold feet before shipping so be open to different alternatives Given the massive shipping costs, you might have them lop off the tube and have a local shop properly weld the thing together.

The Euro cats might cause issues but I don't know why the middle silencer would...not sure there.
Thanks for your response. The custom bending shops really give me the creeps because when I took my 1973 Opel Manta Rallye to one in 2008 to fabricate a system they butchered it. After the guy was done with it he dented the brand new mufflers during the installation, had about two and a half inches of ground clearance in some spots, it rattled in about three places against other parts of the under body and was crooked (not parallel to the body). Needless to say, they put their least experienced kid on it.

I was surprised and disgusted that they put out such garbage work like that. I did have those clowns do it over and make it into an acceptable finished product. That little saga has put me off on custom exhaust fabrication.

Serviceable used exhaust is tough to find in the rust belt and when do I find a car in a yard it has usually been drug through the mud so much that I would be fortunate to find anything underneath intact.

As to them cutting the exhaust in two just to ship it congers visions of some dude who looks like Andy Capp on the loose with a dull hacksaw.

I am going to look further on this site for someone who did buy the center exhaust section overseas. I swear that there was one a while back and they did say it fit perfectly. OEM cats or some online place is selling a 13244456 for $356 or something so that is out of the question.

Thanks again, maybe someone else could chime in on this.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
Old 03-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
PaulR

Quote:

Here is a diagram of the Astra exhaust and the piece I need is #3. Does anyone have a good used one?
PaulR

Old 03-17-2021, 12:41 AM   #5
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

I bought my Bilstein front struts from Autodoc UK Website.
They seem to have 3rd party piece that you are looking for.
Sorry, I just looked closer, they are out of stock too.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-sea...yword=13244456
08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:03 AM   #6
goob

Found part on Ebay UK website:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...uD4T#vi-ilComp
Old 03-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
Bought one from England and got it yesterday. They had to cut it into two pieces as mentioned in my earlier post. It is Klarius brand GM597A. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3167.jpg (48.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3169.jpg (47.5 KB, 11 views)
PaulR

Old 03-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

That was fast.

What did it cost all in?

Do they make these in stainless steel?

Can you coat it to prevent rusting?

I see they also sell the "front pipe" with the flange & flexpipe integrated for like $40. Never thought about that as a fix to the always failing flex pipe.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
goob

Was this for the 3 door or 5 door?
Old 03-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
PaulR

Quote:
That was fast.

What did it cost all in?

Do they make these in stainless steel?

Can you coat it to prevent rusting?

I see they also sell the "front pipe" with the flange & flexpipe integrated for like $40. Never thought about that as a fix to the always failing flex pipe.
It cost about $130 for the part and shipping. They can be had, depending on the manufacturer and exchange rate, from $120 to $195. The Walker brand exhaust piece is the most expensive. Look on the website Euro Car Parts, they had a St. Patty's Day discount running at the time I was looking, but I could not order in time. They may have another now.

Sorry it's not stainless steel.

I replaced my front pipe in 2019 and spray painted it with the best "ceramic" high heat silver paint I could find. For the most part it is holding up except for on the welds and the braided flex pipe. Before painting I made sure that I lightly scuffed it up. This next time on the welds, I am going to try a high heat primer which I see they now make..

The flex pipe you mentioned I have seen too. That would be a good alternative to welding in just the flex pipe.
PaulR

Last edited by PaulR; 03-26-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
PaulR

Quote:
The center section is made for both the 3 a nd 5 door.

Now the last section, the rear muffler, is different on the 3 and 5 door. The most visual, (and only?), difference being the exhaust tip.

Now a little FYI on the front pipe section, in Europe, (and the rest of the world?), they do not have the second catalytic convertor. Which is not a big deal if you have to replace it. On eBay they are sold by an outfit in Canada for, depending on the current exchange rate, about $90. I just hope that these guys would manufacture the center section exhaust, then I would not have to buy it elsewhere!

Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but this is what I can tell you.
PaulR

Old 04-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
joerancourt
joerancourt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Bought one from England and got it yesterday. They had to cut it into two pieces as mentioned in my earlier post. It is Klarius brand GM597A. Here are some pics.
So @PaulR, did you just have it welded back together? I order something similar the other day and got a message this morning saying it was too big and they were cancelling the order.

No welding gear here. Need to squeeze out at least another year on this car. Other than the exhaust and some rust, it's mostly ok. Pulled the orbital sander out this weekend and just did a quick with some rust treatment and glossy black paint. Perfect? No. Less ghetto? Yes.
joerancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #13
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerancourt View Post
So @PaulR, did you just have it welded back together? I order something similar the other day and got a message this morning saying it was too big and they were cancelling the order.

No welding gear here. Need to squeeze out at least another year on this car. Other than the exhaust and some rust, it's mostly ok. Pulled the orbital sander out this weekend and just did a quick with some rust treatment and glossy black paint. Perfect? No. Less ghetto? Yes.
Sorry for the delayed reply as I have been busy of late and not keeping up with this forum. The place in England that I bought my center section exhaust from had to cut it behind the muffler and hanger brackets before being shipped. No, you do not need to weld it back together if you don't want to. Just use a 1 3/4" stainless steel exhaust band clamp. I can get you full information on this if you are still interested. Just let me know.
PaulR

Old 05-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #14
PaulR

Quote:
This center section that I purchased is for both the 3 and 5 door Astra.
PaulR