SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
dakota
dakota is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 SL1 Stalls when cold.

I am working on a 1998 SL1 that has a stalling problem when cold. If the gas pedal is held all the way to the floor it will start but just like a car that has been flooded. Thinking that it was a fuel delivery problem/bad plugs, I replaced the plugs, cleaned the throttle plate in the throttle body, and replaced the fuel filter. Have checked to see if any fuel lines may have been pinched somewhere and found nothing. Found that my customer had been using a low grade of winter fuel. When I changed out the fuel filter there was quite a bit of nasty sediment in it. Added a quality fuel injection cleaner to the tank and some better fuel. It seemed to operate alright that same day. Next day the car was having the same problem. Could this be directly related to the fuel pressure regulator? If so where is the regulator located? The car has the same problem if it has been running for a while and then is left to sit for and hour or two. Once it does finally start and idle it runs great.
Can someone help point me in the right direction of what I am to be looking for? Thankyou
Dakota
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: 1998 SL1 Stalls when cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
I am working on a 1998 SL1 that has a stalling problem when cold. If the gas pedal is held all the way to the floor it will start but just like a car that has been flooded.
That is actually the procedure used to clear a flooded condition. Use the search function on the menu bar, and search the board using keywords "clear flood" for more specific information.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

I think that the fuel pressure regulator is located in the lower left rear of the car. Look in the How-To section. If the engine coolant temperature sensor has never been changed, then also look in the How-To section for how to replace it. A good source for Saturn parts is http://www.saturnparts.net
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Starting in 98' the fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel filter. (Returnless fuel injector rail) When you replaced that pricey fuel filter, you also replaced the regulator.

Check to ensure the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) has been REPLACED in this car with the upgraded all brass version ($12 part) A faulty ECTS and/or ECTS connector is the cause of better than 90% of cold start and fuel mixture problems on "S" series Saturns.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote