SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Holwerdad
Holwerdad is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1
Default 1998 SW1 Starts - Stalls - No Start

Symptoms: Initial start for the day, engine fires up fine and seems to be running normal. After several minutes the engine will abruptly stop running and unable to restart. FYI: The car sits outside exposed to the cold North Dakota weather. On selective days it will start and remain running. I can drive around running around with numerous stops & goís. It will fire up and run normally. This originally started about a month ago.
1. Iíve checked all fuses and relays = all check good.
2. Previously changed the ECTS (brass type) = all checks good.
3. Getting no engine error codes on the display and no error codes reflected when checking the OBD II with scanner.
4. As part of my troubleshooting Iíve replaced the Fuel Pump (sender) and the fuel filter/pressure regulator. I hear the pump running for several seconds upon initial start.
5. Just yesterday afternoon, it started and I drove it around for about 1-hour with no issues. This morning it started initially and stopped after several minutes. After this happens, the car cranks, but wonít start.
6. Put in my garage today checked plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I had changed plugs 6-months ago and all were clean/gapped as required. Checked for any other defects with none noticed.
7. Itís a head shaker. Like my SW1 and it has been a great car, but Iím perplexed at the moment.
8. Not sure what my next move will be and Iím another stubborn DYIíer that doesnít like to be defeated.
Seeking thoughts from the experts. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.
Holwerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 1998 SW1 Starts - Stalls - No Start

You don't have a distributor cap; you don't have a distributor.

You need to check for spark, but you need to do so at the time it fails. Remove the #1 and #4 spark plug wires from the coil and turn the key to START, and look for spark jumping between the coil towers (may need an assistant). If no spark, prime suspect is the CPS - crank position sensor. Somewhat common for them to fail when warm/hot.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Holwerdad

1998 SW1

Thanks for the advice. Will do a spark check. I've changed the starter, so know where the CPS is located if replacement needed.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwerdad View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will do a spark check. I've changed the starter, so know where the CPS is located if replacement needed.
It sits on the right side of the engine or the back, depending on how you look at it. Its right above the starter. Search is wonderful thing....You'll find about 100 posts, but here is a current thread that address the CPS. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190538

When the car dies, and won't start, pull the spark plug wires off the ignition coils and watch to see if there is spark across the coils. Bad CPS = dead EFI = no spark.

EDIT: Oops. Didn't see madpogue already covered it.

Last edited by lamping.ap; 04-12-2013 at 10:17 PM.
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Holwerdad

1998 SW1

Thanks Madpogue. Got the New CPS installed and the SW1 is running great! I was able to make the change without removing the starter. Patience, tolerance, ability to work with one hand, and ability to work mostly blindly required. It took me about one hour to complete the task. Thanks again for the expert advice. dgh
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Good to see someone else from ND here.
Send me a PM if you need parts I have few.
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
97 SL2 Back from the grave
99 Sw2 Daily driver
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Holwerdad

1998 SW1

Yes Sir. No parts needed just yet, but appreciate the kind offer. The inbound snowstorm will be a good ops check for 1998 SW1.

I bought this car for my teen children to drive, but they don't think it's hip, slick, & cool enough despite being a FREE offer. So, it's become my runaround town and work vehicle. Have a great day.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Same here bought for kids not cool enough so throwing DOHC in and gonna run it.
Groceries stocked gas for the snowblower and ready to go. Stay warm.
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
97 SL2 Back from the grave
99 Sw2 Daily driver
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Holwerdad

1998 SW1

Couple of photos of the Crankshaft Position Sensor removed. Important little bugger.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwerdad View Post
... I bought this car for my teen children to drive, but they don't think it's hip, slick, & cool enough despite being a FREE offer. So, it's become my runaround town and work vehicle.
Well, it don't play MP3's, talk back for GPs directions, no plug-in for Ipods, no BlueTooth, can't run Android apps like Torque to tell the idiot driver what's wrong, and no cruise control................No no no, this car's way too old school since drivers feel they can multitask much more than you or I can when all we had was a radio to play with. Yes, sir, too old school - they're bored with simple driving and must fill in the driving boredom with new school toys while they learn the hard facts of life that driving is the 1sr priority, not texting/yakking on a cell phone/button pushing GPS because they can't find their way around the block. Some of them are smart too.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
My_96_SL2
My_96_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Well, it don't play MP3's, talk back for GPS directions, no plug-in for Ipods, no BlueTooth, can't run Android apps like Torque to tell the idiot driver what's wrong, and no cruise control................No no no, this car's way too old school since drivers feel they can multitask much more than you or I can when all we had was a radio to play with. Yes, sir, too old school - they're bored with simple driving and must fill in the driving boredom with new school toys while they learn the hard facts of life that driving is the 1st priority, not texting/yakking on a cell phone/button pushing GPS because they can't find their way around the block. Some of them are smart too.
It's sad with my generation. Really is...
'96 SL2 (Build Date 10/95, purchased 2/17/96)
Gifted on 3/02/13 with 123,440 miles.
130,600 miles as of: 5/23/14
30.9 MPG average.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/motoskiier/sl2 < My Fuelly
My_96_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote