SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
spenser4
spenser4 is on a distinguished road

Default 05 ion ecotec swap with 07 chevy ecotec

A friend has a 2005 ION with a 2.2L ecotec engine with a spun bearing. Heh as 2007 chevy 2.2ecotec and transmission. Is it possible to swap engine and trans from chevy to the Saturn?
spenser4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 05 ion ecotec swap with 07 chevy ecotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenser4 View Post
A friend has a 2005 ION with a 2.2L ecotec engine with a spun bearing. Heh as 2007 chevy 2.2ecotec and transmission. Is it possible to swap engine and trans from chevy to the Saturn?
Yes, probably. What Chevy car model is it? Do you know which transmission was in it? Additionally, which state are you in?
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
spenser4

2007 Chevy cobalt. I don't have any idea on transmission. Engine ID number on cobalt is 10AXKT707191620. I live in Pennsylvania.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would have to believe that your friend can at least identify whether or not the transmission is manual or automatic. I did a little bit of "digging." If it's an automatic then it will have a GM 4T45E; if manual then it's a 5 speed, but I can't determine who the manufacturer is. The engine ID may help with transmission identification, but you'd need to contact GM's tech service help to ascertain that. Since you live in a state that follows looser smog rules than my state does (CA) than you aren't likely to have serious concerns about placing a later model engine in an older model car. Be sure to carry over any necessary wiring harnesses from the Cobalt when installing that powertrain into the Ion and, of course, you must use the Cobalt's PCM and possibly TCM if applicable.
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.

Last edited by pierrot; 03-12-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
spenser4

Yes it's an automatic I am more concerned with fit and interaction with the BCM and any other systems.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenser4 View Post
Yes it's an automatic I am more concerned with fit and interaction with the BCM and any other systems.
Of course, that's a natural concern and not one which I'm believe many non-professionals can answer for you. I'll give you my best take on it, but by no means do I have the "last word" on the subject. When comparing engine and transmission mountings the '07 Cobalt 2.2L w/AT and the '05 Ion 2.2L w/AT, they appear to use the same part numbers. So the drop in looks okay.

As for the electrical, this is where things get complicated. Both cars utilize a TCM, but it appears that the Cobalt's is internal to the trans and the Ion's is external (candidly, I could be wrong about the location of the Ion's TCM, but that is what I'm seeing with the OE parts websites). Additionally, the picture available from an online OE source shows the TCM having different connections. The BCM's and ECM's don't appear to have anything in common either. If your state does not mandate that tail pipe emissions must follow the lastet model information - either body year or engine year - then there may be no problem just dropping in the engine and connecting the Ion's emission components to it. However, it appears that a trans swap may require some significant wiring adjustments.

Which transmission is in your Ion?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
spenser4

Decided to just get another motor. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 AM   #8
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

For anyone who thinks about this in the future, I believe (but I'm not positive) 07 engines used a different tooth count on the crank position sensor trigger. Changing it requires swapping the crank. They definitely used a different ignition setup (coil on plug instead of waste spark).
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote