Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Phenolic Heat Shields

Im an advocate for keeping the EGR installed and plugged in. Detonation isn't fun.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Iím no expert here but here are my thoughts on valve burning. First I have driven my í95 SC-2 with both the phenolic heat shield and the ERG blocked off for almost a year now, over 10,000 miles, with no sign of valve burning (loss of compression, smoking, etc.)

Valves burn when an engine runs to lean. The excessive oxygen, mixed w/ fuel acts like a cutting torch. Worn mechanical components can also cause valves to burn. Worn valve guides allow to valve to be ďcockedĒ crooked. To narrow a valve seat prevents heat transfer. Even a stuck lifter that prevents the valve from properly closing can cause it. http://www.bassoassist.com.ar/ingles/esrecom02.htm

The EGR valve is used to reduce the amount of nitrous oxides (NO2) released into the atmosphere. When nitrogen and oxygen are combined with high cylinder temperatures NO2 gas is formed. The EGR valve reduces the amount of NO2 by recirculating a small amount of exhaust into the intake. It is a controlled opening between the intake and the exhaust. By mixing this inert gas into the air fuel charge the cylinder temperature is reduced. Reducing the temperature reduces the amount of nitrous of oxides produced in the chamber. However it also reduces HP since it displaces some of the oxygen entering the cylinder.

One of the main goals of modifying an engine is to increase the amount of oxygen entering the cylinder. This then results in an increase in the amount of fuel the carís computer injects to prevent a lean condition. Long before the emission requirements where enacted high performance engines ran very successfully with much higher compression ratios and leaner fuel settings without ERGís. In fact an old Saturn trick was to use quarters between the ERG and the cylinder head to block the flow.

Blocking or removing the ERG will not cause detonation. It may prevent it for a while in a poorly maintained engine. If you are going to modify an engine the best way to prevent detonation is to use premium fuel.
It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #43
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The EGR has nothing to do with valve burning. Exhaust valve burning is the result of lean mixture at high RPM and engine Load. Blocking the EGR just increases combustion temperature which will end up clogging your rings with carbon sooner. Restricting the flow is splitting the difference.

The problem with increasing combustion temperature is that the piston crown is cooled by oil spray. The pistons are hypereutectic alloy, they hold heat real well. Aluminum expands at a greater rate than steel. Get them hot enough and you run out of clearance. If you check rebuild specs you will find how much larger the #4 cylinder is to accommodate the increased EGR temperature.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #44
solarcar_sc1
solarcar_sc1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

With my experience with the sohc i had before the dohc swap was in fact accidentally ran low on oil with the egr unplugged and blocked.....one morning i woke to my car missing at 4k rpm in every gear. The only way i could get it to stop missing would be pushing the clutch in and allowing the rpms to drop. I spent hundreds of dollars changing the entire fuel and electrical system with no avail. I finally said to hell with it and bought the dohc. I remember seeing something about the whole egr, valve burning, valve float thread on the forum and decided to dig a little deeper. Pulled the head and saw that the #4 cylinders exhaust valve was burned pretty bad and the cam lobe was etched pretty bad as well. Thats why im weary on doing the egr block again.
If life is flying by, DOWNSHIFT!!!

1999 SC1.5 DOHC swap, 1998 MP3 tranny swap, cam mod, CAI.
solarcar_sc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
solarcar_sc1

1999 SC2

oooooh second thought, what about going one step colder with the spark plugs?

would that lower the temp in the combustion chamber?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Going to colder plugs tends to prevent the onset of preignition and detonation. IT also enhances low RPM, light load fouling. NGK is about the only plug you can pull this trick and get away with it for very long. For the DOHC that would be a BKR6ESA-11, if it exists. The BKR6ES-11 does exist however
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
solarcar_sc1

1999 SC2

whats the difference between the two serial numbers? besides the "a" of course

Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Heat Range and the "a" is a slightly different nose shape.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #49
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 sets left. Donít miss out; Iím not going to make any more, too much trouble. How many times have you said ďIíll get that performance part next yearĒ only to find they stopped making it for Saturns?
It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote