SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
kd4hvz
kd4hvz has a spectacular aura aboutkd4hvz has a spectacular aura about

Idea Fix for return line coolant overflow broken nipple

Here is my fix for a broken coolant overflow return line nipple on a 2001 Saturn SL2.

After doing some research, discovering a replacement intake manifold was ~$300, and would take me all day to fix, I set out to find a better (i.e. easier and cheaper) way to fix it. There were some kits that were about $100 but still required dismantling half the engine and was not a good solution to me.

So, after trying a simple epoxy type fix, I ended up plugging up the broken nipple outlet with epoxy, drilling and taping next to the nipple, and then using a threaded fitting to tie into the return hose.

The parts to fix it totaled around $15 (including tap).

Instructions based on what I did. (Modify the process for whatever works for you.)
  1. Plug the old nipple base with epoxy. (See pic, right circle.)
  2. Drill hole just in front of and in top of the old nipple outlet. (See pic, left circle.)
  3. Tap the hole.
  4. I used a 1" x 1/2" threaded fitting, then adapted that to 1/2" barb.
  5. I then extended the existing hose about 6" just so it was not such a tight turn with the hose. (See pic of completed fix.)

Very cheap, very easy, and it seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps, or at least give someone some ideas.

I would also welcome any comments, suggestions, etc.

-Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL2-plug-drill.JPG (100.1 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg SL2-fix.jpg (67.9 KB, 420 views)
kd4hvz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fix for return line coolant overflow broken nipple

If you can keep the plugged broken port from blowing out or leaking then this will work. I would have used 5/16 or 3/8 for the initial tap point fitting size. The return line only requires a 5/16-3/8 line to be effective.

Most products sold as Epoxy at the parts, big box, hardware store are actually polyester resin. The only commonly available epoxy resin product is JB Weld.

The problem is that neither one of these bonds well to the plastic manifold. You have to make a mechanical bond/connection so the polyester/epoxy stays in place.

This fix works and can be installed without massive disassembly but not cheap.
Intake repair
http://www.carsaturn.com/
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
kd4hvz

I had looked at that part while I was doing my research. If I recall correctly, it was around $90 for the part, which would not have broke the bank, but did not want to have to tear the whole thing down to do it.

I appreciate the tip on the epoxy. The epoxy used was specifically for plastic, but I don't know anything about the chemistry of adhesives so that does not mean much. Maybe a layer of JB weld over it might increase the chances of it lasting longer. It can't hurt, and if it ensures a longer life on the repair it will be time/money well spent.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The repair part sells off of their site for 75.00, don't know about any additional shipping.

Any of the various adhesives will not bond to glycol soaked plastic. This makes plugging holes difficult. If the failed port shape narrows as it progresses to the opening then a blob inserted into the port after careful preparation will be mechanically wedged so it stays in place. The problem is that continuous vent barb was an offshoot branch of the main hot water to heater core outlet, there is not much material to work with in modifying the shape.

You want to use the smallest diameter fitting you can as this reduces the total force on the threads you cut into the plastic and reduces the possibility of a future failure.

You have come up with a low cost viable option for a permanent repair though.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

While this is a good fix for a broken nipple, this does not address the bigger issue which is more common. The issue is the intake cracks at the molding seam on the driver's side in front of where the heater hose connects to it.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, it only addresses the deaeration line nipple failure.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
dwpeters
dwpeters is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2000 SL

I did the repair in a similar way, except I drilled out the original hole and tapped it for 1/8" pipe threads. I used the same JB epoxy for plastic. The repair has held up as a daily driver for 4 months, including a 1000 mile trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoolantReturnRepair.jpg (66.0 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by dwpeters; 04-06-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo
dwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
vikasevan
vikasevan has a spectacular aura aboutvikasevan has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpeters View Post
I did the repair in a similar way, except I drilled out the original hole and tapped it for 1/8" pipe threads. I used the same JB epoxy for plastic. The repair has held up as a daily driver for 4 months, including a 1000 mile trip.
Does it still work?
and did you use brass nipple?
vikasevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Mrs10nant
Mrs10nant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpeters View Post
How has this fix held up for you? This very break happened to my '01 SC2 recently. Really trying to avoid a shop bill.
Mrs10nant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
kd4hvz

Back in 2012 I re-drilled the nipple and fixed a leak, then a year later the main outlet split and I used a Dremel tool to cut along the main outlet and slipped a hose over it with four hose clamps which lasted until now.

Last week I ordered a Dorman 902-100 water outlet repair part for $41.20 (including gasket, bolts, and shipping) on eBay and will do the repair next week.

Everything I have seen online says you have to remove the manifold requiring you to disassemble much of the engine and remove engine mounts to lift the engine up to get the manifold out. That being the case, my intention is to use my Dremel tool again to do it all while still attached to the engine. Removing the air intake hose and the mount for the hose should give me enough room to get to the cutting point to do the job. We will see.

I will take pictures as I go and let everyone know how it turns out. If using a Dremel works as well as the last repair I did then we have a permanent fix that cost ~$42 and is a LOT easier than having to remove the manifold completely.

Note: Evidently I have not posted enough on the forum to include links, but if you do a search for "Dorman's Intake Manifold Water Outlet Repair" on YouTube you will find the video showing the part and repair process. If you do a search for "Dorman 902-100 Water Outlet Housing" on eBay you will find the part.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
kd4hvz

This is a follow-up to my previous post regarding the Dorman 902-100 water outlet for $41.20 including gasket and shipping.

I did the repair a couple weeks ago and it went great. Rather than remove the manifold and disassemble much of the engine like everything I have read online say I would have to, I simply removed the air intake hose, it's mounting bracket, and then used a Dremel to cut off the end of the manifold enough to mount the new water outlet. It took several passes until I had cut away enough to mount the new piece. Still, it only took about one hour and 15-minutes from the time I walked out of the house to the car until the time I walked back in the house after cleaning up and putting my tools away. Far cheaper and less time than any other method I have found and now I have a metal factory-fit water outlet.

Sadly I do not have enough posts in the forum to include links to pictures so I can't post them. :-/
Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Great follow up! And don't let the post count deter you from posting pictures. Many new members post pictures without issues about post counts. The reason why this is possible? They either knew or inadvertently posted file sizes that are allowed for posting. Many take for granted their cameras or cell phones are great for posting pics but don't realize a little known issue with posting thumbnail pics on Saturnfans - the limit is 150kb file size. If you were to examine your picture file size, you may discover how large each picture file is. To accommodate anyone wanting to post pics, find an easy picture editor program like Windows Paint (free so I use it often) to resize pictures and reformat for jpeg. I've posted just under a megabyte of picture file size without issues.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
kd4hvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Great follow up! And don't let the post count deter you from posting pictures.... limit is 150kb file size.
Ah, I wondered how I managed to do it in an earlier post but could not now. Thank you fdryer! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step1b.jpg (63.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Step2b.jpg (89.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Step3b.jpg (75.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Step4b.jpg (63.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Thank you for the follow up and great job! That is so much cleaner and a huge improvement over stock.
Past Saturns:
2002 SC2 5-speed
1999 SL2 automatic
2001 SC1 automatic
Current Cars:
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed
2016 Ford Focus ST 5-speed
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
squirrel2018
squirrel2018 is on a distinguished road

how do you extended the existing hose about 6"
squirrel2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
kd4hvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel2018 View Post
how do you extended the existing hose about 6"
I gave the car away a few months ago so am not able to take any pictures but if I recall I just used a section of hose, male-to-male nipple, and hose clamps from Advance Auto Parts to extend it. There is nothing special about the hose so any generic automotive hose should work fine.

As a side note, the repair was still working great when I gave the car to someone who needed one. That gives me several years of good solid proof that this method works well.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #17
saturny
saturny has a spectacular aura aboutsaturny has a spectacular aura about

Is this coolant return path even needed? The reason I ask is that the replacement DOHC engine I bought a couple of years ago turned out to have a completely clogged hose at this port (I think due to gummed up Dexcool), and the cooling system always functioned perfectly.
2000 Saturn SL1 (w/ DOHC) automatic - 286k
saturny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
kd4hvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturny View Post
Is this coolant return path even needed?
I would assume so. Certainly ideal to have working properly I would think. If it is clogged I would expect that it will limit the engine's ability to maintain proper temperature even if not catastrophic. ...just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #19
Saturn2002SL2
Saturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the roughSaturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the roughSaturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the rough

These screenshots are helpful!
1988 RX7 Manual
Bought in 2000 for $1,500 @ 108,200 Miles
Sold in 2001 for $1,700 @ 114,600 Miles

2002 SL2 Manual
Bought in 2002 for $19,895 @ 26 Miles
As of 09/01/2020 @ over 204,000 Miles
Saturn2002SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote