saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 09-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Jsmith123
Jsmith123 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2
Default P0010 troubles...

My Vue had previously reported p0010 along with p0014 and similar codes. I replaced the actuator soleniods but the codes came back. I drove like that for a couple months without worrying too much. Then the car randomly dies on the freeway. It won't start.

Thinking it might be the camshaft position sensors, I replace both. Still no luck. Now the car doesn't start but it also doesn't pop any codes. Any help is appreaciated, I'm thinking ECM but would like to see what others think/ what my best option is at this point
At this point... Feel like I've had to do everything but replace the engine.
Jsmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2021, 04:13 AM   #2
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2
Default Re: P0010 troubles...

Should've mentioned that it has fuel pressure, already checked for that
Old 09-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some past threads here;
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199064

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204979

Technical descriptions of P0014 from one site; https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0014-saturn-vue/
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm already fairly familiar with the codes and have already replaced both camshaft actuators. As far as I know, even if one of the replacements was bad, that wouldn't stop the car from starting, it would just make it run poorly (but correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm leaning towards something electrical because of the way it died and won't restart... Should I just replace the actuators again since that's the only code that has popped? Is there a test procedure to see if they're in spec?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rather than concentrating on P0010, you might try diagnosing the EFI system - lack of spark, lack of fuel or injector operation or all three. The simplest ways to diagnose fuel, injectors and spark are testing each one. Ignition on, no starting, remove the fuel test valve cap oon the fuel rail and depress the valve stem. Expect fuel to shoot out (cover loosely with a rag to catch fuel spray). This only checks fuel pump operation and pressure to the injectors. This doesn't test injector operation. After several starting attempts without the engine firing up, all cylinders should be wet from unburned fuel, presuming injectors were pulsing. Remove spark plugs and examine them for fuel. Another way to test fuel and spark would be spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and starting. Supplying fuel presumes spark is generated to make the engine run briefly.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Rather than concentrating on P0010, you might try diagnosing the EFI system - lack of spark, lack of fuel or injector operation or all three. The simplest ways to diagnose fuel, injectors and spark are testing each one. Ignition on, no starting, remove the fuel test valve cap oon the fuel rail and depress the valve stem. Expect fuel to shoot out (cover loosely with a rag to catch fuel spray). This only checks fuel pump operation and pressure to the injectors. This doesn't test injector operation. After several starting attempts without the engine firing up, all cylinders should be wet from unburned fuel, presuming injectors were pulsing. Remove spark plugs and examine them for fuel. Another way to test fuel and spark would be spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and starting. Supplying fuel presumes spark is generated to make the engine run briefly.
Thanks for replying quickly again! So there is no fuel in the cylinders. Since there is pressure at the rail (and assuming that all 4 injectors didn't go bad at the same time), would this mean the computer is stopping the injectors from sending fuel? I know my next step is to check fuel coming from the injectors while trying to start, just to be sure, but I need an assistant for that and might not be able to for a few days.

If it is the computer stopping the fuel, how can I diagnose what the problem is...? There are no codes. I do have a Tech-2 scan tool but don't really know how to use it for diagnosing a startup issue like this.

Last edited by Jsmith123; 09-15-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith123 View Post
I know my next step is to check fuel coming from the injectors while trying to start, just to be sure, but I need an assistant for that and might not be able to for a few days.
Just to clarify, I checked for fuel by removing sparkplug and looking/smelling for fuel. I figure the next step would be make sure there's no fuel by pulling the injectors and seeing if they spray anything. I'm assuming they won't since there's absolutely no trace of fuel on the plugs
Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please don't jump to conclusions. There's a reason for asking you to perform specific tests.

1-Your ecm isn't faulty until extensive diy tests are performed. All that was asked of you was to test for injector operation by examining spark plugs after one or more starts.

2-Injectors rarely fail all at once. Millions of injectors are running all over the world with hardly any failing all at the same time.

3-A spark test hasn't been performed yet. This can be tested easily by spraying starting fluid into the throttle body then starting. You already know injectors aren't working but spark should be tested with starting fluid. Testing for spark will narrow this problem down. I'm suspecting zero spark; starting fluid won't ignite if spark isn't generated to all spark plugs during starting.

Without a spark test using starting fluid, I may be jumping ahead with a presumption; the crank sensor may have failed, killing the ecm from operating the entire EFI system.

The crank sensor provides precise timing signals to the ecm. Without crank sensor signals; no fuel pump, no spark, no injector pulses. The crank sensor generates signals only during engine rotation, starting and running.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #9
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... Had other stuff going on. Starting fluid didn't work. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (which is very inconveniently located behind a needlessly hard to remove starter...). The car still didn't start.

It's possible battery is low from trying to start it a bunch but my voltmeter is out of batteries. Hooked it up to charge, hopefully that's what it was. If not, any advise on my next steps? I found a YouTube video for checking individual pins of the ECM that seems like the logical next step
Old 10-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
Jsmith123

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SC2

Update!

A step in the right direction I think? I did another power cycle (from disconnecting battery when removing starter) and realized the check engine light was on (yay!). No codes popped on my cheapo OBD2 reader so I pulled out the Tech-2.

Initially it said CKP sensor failure, failure to communicate to ECM (which was strange because ECM was detected). I cleared the codes and tried to start it.

No codes popped up but now it's saying "Body Control Module No Comm."

Could this be a failed BCM?

The check engine light is on but there's no other codes in any of the other systems (and it's detected everything else outside the radio)