SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
ken b.
ken b. is on a distinguished road

Default Oil change/filter & trans fluid /filter job completed

Well I got some of my long overdue car chores done today. I have been paying the quick lube place on the corner $35 for oil changes for so long that I about forgot how to do my own. Felt good to do one myself for $12. I used the "remove left front tire & remove splash guard to get to the oil filter" method. I must say it was easy to remove the filter and the few extra steps were not that bad. Gave me the chance to look at the brake pads.
The automatic transmission fluid/filter took a bit longer but went well. I used Wolfman,s method of filling the empty fluid jugs with the drained fluid as I put the new fluid into the transmission and it was easy to get the correct amount into the transmission. I removed the air filter box to access the tranny filter. I was sure to use only my hands to install both filters. And guess what???No leaks!
One question....there was no magnet on the transmission filter that I could see.. What does it look like and exactly where would it be on the filter? I called the Saturn dealer and a tech there said if it is not there don't worry about it.
Tomorrow the cooling system drain/ flush/refill and ects replacment will be addressed.
ken b. is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Oil change/filter & trans fluid /filter job completed

The magnet looks like a big flat washer that goes on the filter where it threads onto the transaxle. As the tech told you, if was MIA, don't worry about it. It was probably removed when the fluid was changed the first time, and once the transaxle is worn in, it (the magnet) is not really necessary. (It was there to catch fine ferrous metal particles in the fluid when the car was new that natuarally occur as the steel gears and clutches "wear in". (Once the transaxle has some miles on it, the gears/clutches are worn in and the particles generated decrease to near zero levels from that point on, just like any other automatic...most manufacturers put a magnet in the lower PAN of their transaxles to accomplish the same thing. No possible in the "S" series as it has no lower pan.)
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Marty605
Marty605 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: Oil change/filter & trans fluid /filter job completed

I just did that today following Wolfmans How to info. Bought a filter from Saturn Dealer yesturday, Took off the air box and the filter was right there! Drained all the oil out and let it drip a while, unscrewed the old filter which was a Purolator dunno know how long thats been on there? I saw the magnet you are talking about cleaned it off wasnt much anything on it anyhow but decided to just leave it on there. Screwed on the new one on after coating the new gasket. "Hand Tight" Took 5 QTS of the Mobil 1 Synthetic put the air box back together but the middle box in the front I dont know what that is and the small plastic screw or fastner broke and fell down under the bumper somewhere? So i kinda tied a tie strap there until i can buy some of those things Can i ask what are they called and what size do i need? I think i need some more for the rear bumper. So i dont have to change the ATF again for 30,000 miles? Well thats easy to remember since it'll turn over to 200k LOL

Thanks in advance and BTW Thanks for all the help here!

Last edited by Marty605; 06-03-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Marty605 is offline   Reply With Quote