SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Saturn maintenance costs $12,400 for 10 years

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...173347277.html

https://www.yourmechanic.com says owning a Saturn costs $12,400 a year for maintenance costs.

I am fairly certain my maintenance costs have been around $2000 for 10 years...

Rank Brand Cost
1 BMW $17,800
2 Mercedes-Benz $12,900
3 Cadillac $12,500
4 Volvo $12,500
5 Audi $12,400
6 Saturn $12,400
7 Mercury $12,000
8 Pontiac $11,800
9 Chrysler $10,600
10 Dodge $10,600
11 Acura $9,800
12 Infiniti $9,300
13 Ford $9,100
14 Kia $8,800
15 Land Rover $8,800
16 Chevrolet $8,800
17 Buick $8,600
18 Jeep $8,300
19 Subaru $8,200
20 Hyundai $8,200
21 GMC $7,800
22 Volkswagen $7,800
23 Nissan $7,600
24 Mazda $7,500
25 Mini $7,500
26 Mitsubishi $7,400
27 Honda $7,200
28 Lexus $7,000
29 Scion $6,400
30 Toyota $5,500
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn maintenance costs $12,400 for 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...173347277.html
says owning a Saturn costs $12,400 a year for maintenance costs.
That's the 10 year cost....
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
deca5423
deca5423 will become famous soon enoughdeca5423 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I call bull****. A Saturn costs as much as an Audi or a Cadillac to maintain? Right. The car in my fleet that gives me the most headaches and has cost me the most is the Toyota Corolla, which also ranks lowest in the list. To be fair, it is the oldest by 3 years.
deca5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Vetteguy904
Vetteguy904 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca5423 View Post
I call bull****. A Saturn costs as much as an Audi or a Cadillac to maintain? Right. The car in my fleet that gives me the most headaches and has cost me the most is the Toyota Corolla, which also ranks lowest in the list. To be fair, it is the oldest by 3 years.
I agree. Ever price out parts for a Corvette? A whatsis for a 350? $40 oh, for a vette? 140
Vetteguy904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
deca5423

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteguy904 View Post
I agree. Ever price out parts for a Corvette? A whatsis for a 350? $40 oh, for a vette? 140
I sure have! I own a '96 and ended up purchasing a plastic insert to have usable cup holders which wasn't cheap, but it's kind of a specialty item. Fuel pump was relatively cheap and incredibly easily to replace. I'm guessing it was cheap because it's used on a bunch of other GM models. The things I have done on the Corvette I actually found easier to work on than my other cars. Other generations could be different but the C4 really isn't bad.

Like anything else though I could dump ridiculous amounts of money into it if I really wanted to.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

I think that number could be pretty accurate for my L200... assuming I factor in the cost of purchasing the car

I've now had my Vue for almost 10 years and the L200 for 9. Previously I had an SL2 for about 10 years. I have probably spent $3-4K in total for maintenance costs on all three vechicles. So, yeah, I'd say $12,400/10 years is very far off the mark.

To be completely transparent that includes these projects that I have done on each of those cars:

96 SL2:
- New clutch
- New alternator (maybe the hardest thing to do on the SL's)

06 Vue V6 AWD:
- Center support bearing for drive shaft
- New timing belt and water pump
- Leak on high pressure seal of the transmission

01 L200:
- New rear bumper

Outside of that I also am including the cost of new tires, oil changes and other periodic maintance to try to make my costs as inflated as possible.
2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Although I perform the majority of the repairs on my car myself, I find it unlikely that my annual average maintenance cost would be $1,240.00 even if the services had been done at a dealership. I'm very curious to see the underlying information which led them to this ten year maintenance cost average.
348K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

It does seem high.. but not as outrageous as we think if you consider:
1)those premium cars listed usually include free maintenance for the first 3 yrs .. whereas a Saturn owner is paying for an extra 3 or more dealer visits
2) a timing belt/water pump change is required at 100K or so, whereas those others listed typically use timing chains..
3) Saturns, according to Consumer reports are less reliable than "average" so will require a few extra trips to the shop for repairs over that period
4) the whole transmission mess with both the Vue 2.2 VTI and 3.5 V6 tranny's has to be factored in, which is good a a few $K
5) the issue with the Vue brake rotors not lasting very long, will add a couple of extra trips to the dealer over that span...

So if you add up some of those .. on top of the normal maintenance items.. then I can see the cost approaching the 10-12k over 10yrs, depending on your luck, where you get the work done, etc. (though i still think it's cheaper overall compared to the audi's, etc. of the world)
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc5 View Post
1)those premium cars listed usually include free maintenance for the first 3 yrs .. whereas a Saturn owner is paying for an extra 3 or more dealer visits
Those first three years of oil changes and tire rotations don't really make that much of an increased cost for Saturn owners. I believe there weren't any real significant maintenance items for the first 3 years/30,000 miles for Saturn vehicles. Looking through the owners manuals it is maybe a transmission fluid change at 25K, but that is the biggest item I see. Any recall items were covered by the dealer so, that shouldn't factor in either.

Quote:
2) a timing belt/water pump change is required at 100K or so, whereas those others listed typically use timing chains..
This is no different than any other car with a timing belt, so it wouldn't increase/decrase the cost of ownership relative to other manufacturers. And to put a price tag on it, I think I did mine for $250-300, and if you did it at a shop it may be $800-1,100. Now that is going to happen once every 10 years unless you really drive a lot. Factored in at a 10 year interval that works out to $110/year on the high end. Not a big push to the $1,240/year mark that this article is stating.

Quote:
3) Saturns, according to Consumer reports are less reliable than "average" so will require a few extra trips to the shop for repairs over that period
I don't know that I've seen this in my small world of automobile ownership. There have been many years where my only upkeep expenses were oil, filters and gas. In my experience, these have been as low maintenance or lower than the Toyotas I have owned. What is average any how?

Quote:
4) the whole transmission mess with both the Vue 2.2 VTI and 3.5 V6 tranny's has to be factored in, which is good a a few $K
The VTi should be filed under the lemon category. No one will argue that it wasn't a huge debacle and could easily cost you more than $3K/year if you were replaceing them that often. However that one fault in Saturn's history doesn't explain the high maintenance costs this group is showing.

As to the 3.5L V6 transmission, short of the cost of doing periodic fluid changes I've not had any real expendatures. It surely hasn't cost me more than a hundred dollars annualy if I spread out the cost of the new fluid. Now if you don't take care of the transmission, just as if you don't do oil changes on your engine, then there will be failures and higher incurred costs. But, neglect shouldnt reflect poorly on Saturn or it's annual cost of ownership.

Quote:
5) the issue with the Vue brake rotors not lasting very long, will add a couple of extra trips to the dealer over that span...
How much do you pay for brake rotors and pads? Even if I stuck with the OEM stuff and replaced them every 6 months, I think I'd be out as much as $300/year. Heck, you could probably get some place to put on hardware with lifetime warranty, and get out of the cost of replacement. Now, this is very make specific. There are a lot of Saturns out there that aren't Vue's and they too are very reliable. Not perfect, but then no car is.

Quote:
So if you add up some of those .. on top of the normal maintenance items.. then I can see the cost approaching the 10-12k over 10yrs, depending on your luck, where you get the work done, etc. (though i still think it's cheaper overall compared to the audi's, etc. of the world)
I think we all agree that it is over stated, but if you are approaching even $1,000 annually in mainteance costs I feel that you are either paying for previous neglect or truly just have had bad luck of everything wearing out at the same time... but that is just, like, my opinon man.
2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
deca5423

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
This is a gimmick. Most people will not need to bring their car in for the first 3 years of ownership. It's like 100,000 mile powertrain warranties. It's nice but they know statistically the vast majority of their cars will make it past this.

Quote:
My family is big into Subarus and they seem to be exclusively using timing belts. And the maintenance cost is listed 4k lower.

Quote:
The VTI was crap but I don't think that's enough on it's own. Also the 3.5 transmission would be perfectly fine to 140k before trading it in (I know people who have never done the transmission maintenance and done this). And most people get the itch to trade it in before they even hit 100k. Also this is the Honda drivetrain from the Pilot/Odyssey which are very popular cars but Honda is near the bottom of the list.

Quote:
I don't know what rotors people are using but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my Vue. I had a semi-locked up caliper for a few weeks before I noticed and my old rotors are still within spec.

Toyota's still have this magical perception that they are impervious to part wear and rust which is ridiculous. We have a Corolla and it hasn't been any better than any other GM car I've owned. It's not a bad car by any means, but this perception seems to add some value in the used car market making them overpriced, in my opinion. And talking with people that own them this seems to be the case. It makes me wonder how much Toyota paid them to be the best one the list
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is a gimmick. Most people will not need to bring their car in for the first 3 years of ownership. It's like 100,000 mile powertrain warranties. It's nice but they know statistically the vast majority of their cars will make it past this.
I hear you, but I'm simply trying to rationalize the 12k estimate that was shown. Estimates like this would typically assume the consumer is going to the dealership and paying those rates, and following their recommended service intervals, no? So with that in mind, over the first 3 yrs you'd be paying for a 1k or 5k? service, plus another bigger one at 30k, and possibly something around 15K?

Quote:
My family is big into Subarus and they seem to be exclusively using timing belts. And the maintenance cost is listed 4k lower.
I was comparing the Saturn cost to the luxury brands listed, and they all use chains.. Regarding Suburu, it's more reliable over a 10 yr period.. I don't think that's debatable from a statistical perspective.. regardless how much we may like our Vue's, etc.

Quote:
The VTI was crap but I don't think that's enough on it's own. Also the 3.5 transmission would be perfectly fine to 140k before trading it in (I know people who have never done the transmission maintenance and done this). And most people get the itch to trade it in before they even hit 100k. Also this is the Honda drivetrain from the Pilot/Odyssey which are very popular cars but Honda is near the bottom of the list.
I don't agree that the 3.5 is fine to 140k. Many of the reports of failures begin prior to 100k.. (including my own).. which could probably have been prevented with aggressive fluid changes. Honda is most likely lower on the list because they do publish more aggressive change intervals, and they fair better with other repairs overall..

Quote:
I don't know what rotors people are using ......
OEM/Stock.. My wifes had to be replace at 16k and 35k.. before I abandoned them and went with an aftermarket brand...
Old 06-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
OEM/Stock.. My wifes had to be replace at 16k and 35k.. before I abandoned them and went with an aftermarket brand...
I've had no more front brake maintenance issues since swapping in some (weborder) Duralast Gold pads and rotors.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
mlc5

yep.. same here... moving to a 3rd party rotor manufacturer , and also by making sure the rear drums were well adjusted... really helped to minimize the premature wear on the front rotors we were experiencing ... and now I pretty much get what I consider "normal" wear on the fronts...
Old 06-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
deca5423

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

What I find funny now that I'm thinking about it, is that Saturn and Pontiac are significantly above Chevrolet which doesn't make a whole of sense. I wonder if the fact that they haven't been in production for a long while now is skewing the numbers.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
mlc5

Quote:
What I find funny now that I'm thinking about it, is that Saturn and Pontiac are significantly above Chevrolet which doesn't make a whole of sense. I wonder if the fact that they haven't been in production for a long while now is skewing the numbers.
good point. I also own a Saab, and that's been out of production as well.. and while parts are usually available.. sometimes you do pay more for certain parts, depending on the type of part.. so I'm sure that gets factored into a survey/list like that..
Once again, most of the folks on this board are knowledgeable, and tend to do a lot of things themselves, or are resourceful about getting repairs done in a cost effective manner... But these type of surveys are most likely targeting the "average consumer", and assuming typical dealership type costs, etc.. which definitely will add a few $K to the bill over a 10 yrs period...
Old 06-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Sorry, but their test metrics just don't pass the reality test. Any list that places Saturn, Mercury, and Pontiac that high relative to Mini and VW is hard to swallow.

I'm sorry, but the difference between maintaining a Mini and a Honda over 10 years is $300? Yeah, that sounds logical.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #17
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

Agreed, does not pass the smell test. $5000 costs for 10 year in zero clearance engines??? not happening. The timing belt / water pump replacement is almost half of that. Add in two brake jobs, some ac work etc and you are well over $5000.
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #18
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Stupid automotive article!! Worse than MSN!!

Are they including routine MX too..... Oil, brakes, tires, Insp,/Emissions?

First 3 years should be bumper to bumper coverage as well. I bought mine new in 2003 and don't believe I've spent close to 4K, and that's including mods, like my exhaust, FE3 suspension upgrade, 17inch aftermarket wheels, Z-rated tires, fiberglass hood (Re-painted along with the entire front end and fenders)

These guys must make some serious hourly wages!!
2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

I've put in another motor, clutch, master & slaves, plugs, serp belt, countless oil changes, a few pair of pads, 3 sets of tires, some new suspension goodies and I doubt I've spent over $3500.
Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #20
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

How in the world did they come up with that number?
They say the data-set is massive, but what does that mean...last ten years...hmmm. So, they did a few transmission jobs on the rubber band transmissions and presto, Saturn looks like Lamborghini.
And my lowly 2.2l ecotec Vue has been the most trouble free car I've ever owned, and I've owned dozens. I've spent maybe $200 per year. If it wasn't for the Michelin Defenders (absolute crap), that number would be lower (initially, great tires, but they wore out in 20k). And I thought the Duelers were crap...lol
They were stellar compared to Michelin. Speaking of which, anybody know of a tire for these SUVs which actually have some longevity? I don't care if they sound like a Sherman tank on pavement...just as long as they have tread depth, and good rain shedding ability (btw - I took the tire reviews into account when I bought Michelins...what a load of....).

Even accounting for the fact I did all my maintenance, except a fuse (under warranty - doh!), I cannot see anything more than 4k over 10yrs, if one had a shop do it.

I think their data-set is suspect. Would really like to know the breakdown of which model of Saturn they have in their data. Obviously, the VTI model is skewing the data.
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote