saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Evap box drain plug location

Does anyone have a picture of the drain plug on the firewall thats on the opposite side of the evap box for the A/C system? I think mines clogged up but cant seem to spot it.

Thanks,
Matt
mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Evap box drain plug location

Here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif evap drain tube.gif (20.7 KB, 162 views)
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You get to it from over the drivers side fender, it is down low and blends in with the surroundings, I have to squeeze mine at times to get it to drain again, I should pull it and clean properly, maybe rig up a way to get some bleach in thru the drain hole, did that on my pickup and it has been fine ever since.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
You get to it from over the drivers side fender, it is down low and blends in with the surroundings, I have to squeeze mine at times to get it to drain again, I should pull it and clean properly, maybe rig up a way to get some bleach in thru the drain hole, did that on my pickup and it has been fine ever since.
does this mean pop the hood and bend in from the drivers side? I looked around and couldnt see anything remotely close to it, does anyone have a photograph / video of this procedure?

Thanks for that diagram FD but since i dont know the surroundings of the diagram it looks like chinese to me.

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yeah, I can agree with your assessment of crude drawings. This is what was done by GM and their supposedly technical drawing department!? Basically, the firewall is to the right of the 90 degree duck valve and the duck valve faces towards the engine.
VCX NANO
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Yeah, I can agree with your assessment of crude drawings. This is what was done by GM and their supposedly technical drawing department!? Basically, the firewall is to the right of the 90 degree duck valve and the duck valve faces towards the engine.
im gathering that so far now, is there a diagram of the whole firewall with maybe a arrow pointed to this view diagram you first showed?

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not really as this goes along with the way (poor) drawings have been done. I suppose this was done because GM expects trained dealer techs to be familiar with their surroundings and are not new to engine maintenance and can work with service manuals with minimum hand holding. I forget that there are reminders that all service bulletins have a disclaimer that manuals were written for GM trained service technicians and not for the do it yourselfer. There's ample evidence throughout the manuals as it always refers to using a scan tool, GM's Tech II tool of choice for every dealer tech throughout the country.

Just poke around below the four lines going into the HVAC box, two coolant lines for the heater core and two a/c lines for the evaporator coil. Nearby should be the drain valve, probably black, resembling a very wide and large flat screwdriver tip bent 90 degrees downward.
VCX NANO
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I can remember I will try and take a photo in the AM and post it, that early in the AM with what I have going on I never know what will happen.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

thanks everyone, ill look under the hood in the morning before i fire her up so i dont get myself burned via the exhaust, im getting a wonderful smell in the cabin now from this lol, i know its not coolant because its not orange, but is there anything else besides evap this could be? it looks like water and its soaked my passenger through the dealer mats too, and the driver around the pedals

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here is a photo of it, I made some arrows to it, the top of the pic is the heater hose

Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well i saw the pic and found it and pushed down on the 90 degree bend on it and it dripped a little then i did that again and wiggled it around and it started "peeing" as FD has said before in threads lmao, and this went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes or so, hopefully it will fix my wet floors. it was like a trickle, is that how it should be or should i see like a burst of water fly out? lol. this has to be one of the "wrongest sounding" threads ive posted.

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Keep a check on it, I had to do mine several times before it lasted, what happens is it stops up and the pan fills and you turn a corner and out the water comes, just depends on right or left turn which side of the floor gets wet. The water should drain as it is pulled from the air, if really humid you will see cars with almost a stream coming from them, less humid regular drips, no big rush of water at a time. If you can get some bleach in there it will clear it up for quite some time.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

looking closer at it today, still draining good, looks like the previous owner or someone at a shop severed the end of the valve so its just a open hole on the bottom.

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
realtorick
realtorick is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have looked for an hour for the drain and can not find it. I'm probably looking right at it! I have tried from over the driver side fender, I have tried from under the car . . . where the heck is this thing? I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L V6.
realtorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personally, I don't know but guessing where can be only in a very narrow area; by the firewall below the two heater core hoses and two a/c lines, on the left or right side of these hoses or underneath the car but near the HVAC box. Try imagining the HVAC box and the relatively small collection tray to allow condensation to drain out by gravity. Posting this question in the Aura forums should get you a better answer.
VCX NANO
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
realtorick
realtorick is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Thanks, I will continue to look. As I said prior, It's probably right in front of me . . .
realtorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #17
seastar
seastar is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the info to everyone who posted on this thread. I have been looking for that *$#* evaporator drain for hours. Read this thread, found it, used one of those handicap "grabbers" to squeeze the end..a few drops, then a stream...it's still going 20 min. later!

Will try to get a hanger in there to clean it out better tomorrow.
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote