SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
bz1lvn
bz1lvn has a spectacular aura aboutbz1lvn has a spectacular aura aboutbz1lvn has a spectacular aura about

Default 2008 3.6 V6 Throttle body/MAF cleaning

Hello
Anyone have steps or recommendations on cleaning the MAF and throttle body on a 3.6 V6 Vue? Thanks
bz1lvn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 3.6 V6 Throttle body/MAF cleaning

I'm presuming all drive by wire throttle/pedal/ecm systems follow the same service manual guidelines on cleaning throttle actuators and maf sensors. My GM service manual states using a solvent soaked rag to wipe off build up in throttle bodies. A strong internal return spring ensures throttle plate closing if power is lost. I removed it when replacing a faulty t-stat, prop open the throttle plate with a wooden parts brush then go at it with a rag. It's not recommended spraying solvent inside throat areas as it may flow into vents, creating electrical issues. The throttle plate is geared to a servo motor commanded by the ecm from pedal signals. My throttle and pedal have a pair of feedback position sensors (four in all). The maf sensor may be housed in a large intake tube with two (tamper resistant) screws. I used small vise grips to grab onto the heads to unscrew them. Coarse threads similar to sheet rock screws replacing nails.

If you can remove the maf sensor from its intake housing, it will make cleaning easier. Use only maf sensor or electrical contact spray cleaner. If the air filter did its job, the maf sensor won't have any noticeable debris.

Be sure ignition is off before disconnecting them from wiring.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

CRC makes spray chemicals for each purpose. (Amazon or auto parts stores)

I bought a can of each years ago and it's probably a lifetime supply.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
bz1lvn
bz1lvn has a spectacular aura aboutbz1lvn has a spectacular aura aboutbz1lvn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies. Is it ok to remove throttle body and move throttle plate around to clean? I have read that there can be issues with moving the throttle plate by hand when disconnected can cause issues and an idle learn might be required. I have cleaned my throttle body by removing and moving plate around to clean better on '14 Equinox and '16 Traverse with no issues. Just wanted to make sure ok to use same steps with older '08 Vue.

I do have the CRC throttle and MAF cleaning products.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, unless your owner's manual has info on cleaning throttle bodies, I'm assuming electric throttle bodies share similar configurations for servicing at home without requiring training or licensing for cleaning. Previous threads in these forums suggested fragile throttle bodies with members (uninformed) warning against moving throttle plates for cleaning. Service manuals suggest otherwise. I prefer facts from hearsay. Unless someone with hands-on experience has documentation stating against opening electric throttle plates by hand for cleaning with ignition off or removed from engine, there are zero reports of damage occurring from diy cleaning.

I removed my throttle body, intake manifold and runners to replace a worn t-stat. Since it was off the engine, I reviewed service manuals then cleaned it without issues. Manually propped open throttle for cleaning. My L300 has an automatic program to calibrate throttle to ecm when ignition is turned on, engine not started and pedal not pushed - 30 seconds must elapse before the calibration routine proceeds. Whether entering this calibration on purpose or simply leaving ignition on doesn't interfere with everyday use of my car. I don't know if other Saturn models have a similar program. Removing power whether with ignition off or disconnecting wiring doesn't change settings. Presuming all electric throttle bodies don't have complicated linkages like older carburetors for cold/hot presets, the program residing in ECMs allows simplification of design; two feedback position sensors, one servo motor, throttle shaft, throttle plate, two gears, intake air temperature sensor, coolant passages and electrical connections. Zero linkages to bind up needing periodic cleaning, maintenance or adjustments. Simple plug n' play with a calibration procedure when replacing a faulty one. Your electric throttle may not have coolant passages.

If you are concerned, you can always call GM and ask. Whether you're given info is up to that individual.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
bz1lvn

Thanks...cleaned MAF and Throttle body today without any issues. Also did trans fluid drain/fill #1. Will repeat in a few days.