SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
joecool234
joecool234 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Obnoxious Road Noise

Wow, were to begin. First some background. My issue is with a 2004 Ion2 5spd sedan. Before I hit 20k miles I had my sway bar bushing replaced twice. At around 25k I was in a "minor" accident that caused my entire front end suspension to be replaced. Total damage was in the neighborhood of $7500. After the accident, I had the sway bar bushings replaced one more time. At around 61k miles, I had my car in the shop for its 5th electrical issue and the technician said my drivers-side wheel bearing was very noisy and needed to be replaced. This is my issue.

Before I brought (actually, towed) my car to the shop, everything was gravy. After I picked it up, this wheel bearing noise was unbearable. I just was unable to afford the repair. After reading over my collision repair warranty, I saw any parts repaired by them had a lifetime warranty. I was somehow able to get them to replace the entire front driver's-side wheel hub. Unfortunately, the noise is still evident. So now I am thinking that my tires with 62k miles on them need to be replaced. This past weekend I just dropped $400 to get them replaced...and the noise is still there.

It is VERY difficult to describe this noise. It an oscillatory type sound that gets louder as speed increases. Its at its loudest when I go around a bend that requires me to turn right (so most of the weight is on the drivers-side suspension). I seriously think this body shop stiffed me and didnt replace anything. My question is what can cause such an obnoxious oscillation besides the wheel bearings (assuming they were replaced)? What can cause these to go bad? Could it have been the tow? I dont know, Im just at my wits-end with this car. It has been in the shop on 10 separate occasions in the 3 years I've owned it. The whole reason I bought a new car was to avoid down time.
joecool234 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
young james
young james is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Obnoxious Road Noise

Is there anything else happening that could possibly be related to this such as wheel shaking or whole car shaking at high speeds?

Sorry to hear about your problems bud, but someone should be able to help you out. Apparently, 03-04 ions were bad for problems because they had a lot of bugs, but what can ya do
Pictures: http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=58
young james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
joecool234

2004 ION-2 Sedan

P.S. Could I need an alignment even though the car drives straight?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
joecool234

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by young james View Post
Is there anything else happening that could possibly be related to this such as wheel shaking or whole car shaking at high speeds?

Sorry to hear about your problems bud, but someone should be able to help you out. Apparently, 03-04 ions were bad for problems because they had a lot of bugs, but what can ya do
As far as shaking, its more of a vibration than anything else. The car is still completely stable at high speeds, just deafening.

As far as the bugs, you dont have to tell me.
1) replaced bushings 3 times
2) replaced reverse light switch
3) DRL recall issue, twice
4) faulty passlock sensor
5) bad clock spring which caused all electronics in steering wheel to fail (horn, cruise, airbag)
6) wiring harness connector was loose causing my car not to start (they tightened it, but if it happens again the whole harness will need to be replaced)
7) road noise issue...

I would have traded my car in LONG ago, but I unfortunately have a blemish on my credit report that I think will negatively affect being reapproved for a loan through GMAC. Are their any GMAC credit gurus here?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
young james
young james is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You could always get someone to cosign for you. Heck, I'm only 19, no credit at all. I am having a hard time getting a credit card without having to leave a crap load of money in the account for a year. However, I still got my brand new car and make the payments no prob. Something else to consider.
Pictures: http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=58
young james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Loveisis77
Loveisis77 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Obnoxious Road Noise

you know, I have a 2004 Ion 3. My bushing have been replaced twice.. I still have the noise.. but they told me it was my steering wheel.. Which like u I am waiting for the funds to come in and replace, But you know I got 3 different answers.. When I moved to Alabama from Massachusetts, I finally found a Saturn Dealer that would work with me and take the time to explain things. the roads in MA. are horrible because of the salt they put down for the snow.. It caused alot fo damage to my Car. My Mechanic told me it was my entire struts.. states it will cost me over $500. The Saturn dealership in MA.. Could never get me in for some reason.. They gave Saturn a bad name.. But anyhow, I do agree if the roads arent perfect, at least once a year we will be replacing the Bushings.. I wil update you later on the steering wheel.. But otherwise my Saturn has been good to me.. I have over 78,000 miles and its still kicking.. I had a Honda Civic prior to this and the Transmission blew at 70,000.. So right now, I am really appreciating my Saturn....

Dawn
Loveisis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

reading about this stuff over and over makes me anticipate problems that lay ahead for my 04 ION. its just a matter of time...
hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
teebird
teebird is on a distinguished road

If it makes you feel better, I have 92k on my '03. I've replaced the O2 sensor, rear brake pads, tires, filters, oil and it had the ignition lock replaced. I believe the front sway bushings are going because the first big bump in the morning makes noise but after that they are o.k. I also suspect new struts, front brakes and a tranny flush, it is an auto, is in future. I'd say that is pretty good.
teebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
joecool234

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Just an update:

Ok, so I went back to the collision place that replaced the front driver's side wheel hub. Now they are saying it sounds like the passenger's side wheel bearing is bad as well. The manager apologized for not driving the car himself and claims that the noise was so bad initially it was hard to tell which side was bad. Ill be getting it fixed next week.

Are there actual techs in this forum? I apologize for starting an "all the things wrong with my Ion" rant but I really just want to know what on earth can cause both wheel bearings to go SIMULTANEOUSLY at only 60k miles. Could it have been the tow? My car was picked up by the front wheels. If not, could it be my driving habits? The roads i drive on? Has anyone EVER heard of both bearings going bad so early on????

Thanks.

Last edited by joecool234; 03-29-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
munsonator008
munsonator008 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

sounds like a right front wheel bearing. when you take weight off it you are probably loading the inner bearing on the right front hub, this happens when you turn to the right. shifts the load to the left side of the car.

unfortunately GM has problems with wheel bearings.

i probably replace on average 4-6 a week.

mileage ranges between 20,000 miles to 70,000 miles

done 1 to my monte carlo at 18k on it, wasnt for noise was for the wheel speed sensor acting up, done a few on my moms grand prix, under warranty.

if you live in the northern states or around salt, its inevitable to have a bearing replaced.
shock loading destroys them as well, such as pot holes- it will flatten balls in bearings
taking corners too fast, we all do it, it puts a load on it and it creates heat and it can wear them out quicker

there really isnt anything you can do to prevent it. its just a thing that happens, sort of like intake leaks on 3.1 and 3.4 liter engines.
munsonator008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
harsha
Advanced Member
harsha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool234 View Post

Ok, so I went back to the collision place that replaced the front driver's side wheel hub. Now they are saying it sounds like the passenger's side wheel bearing is bad as well. The manager apologized for not driving the car himself and claims that the noise was so bad initially it was hard to tell which side was bad.

Did they use a chassis stethoscope, to identify the problem?? If it's a good body shop, they should have one of these.
OR...
U can check which side it is yourself (I would say 75% of the time). Jack up the front wheels(e-brake, YES!) and use jack stands. Try shaking each wheel to determine which one is bad. The one which is bad will have more ply and kinda shaky compared to the other wheel(if it's good).
harsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
joecool234

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonator008 View Post
sounds like a right front wheel bearing. when you take weight off it you are probably loading the inner bearing on the right front hub, this happens when you turn to the right. shifts the load to the left side of the car.

unfortunately GM has problems with wheel bearings.

i probably replace on average 4-6 a week.

mileage ranges between 20,000 miles to 70,000 miles

done 1 to my monte carlo at 18k on it, wasnt for noise was for the wheel speed sensor acting up, done a few on my moms grand prix, under warranty.

if you live in the northern states or around salt, its inevitable to have a bearing replaced.
shock loading destroys them as well, such as pot holes- it will flatten balls in bearings
taking corners too fast, we all do it, it puts a load on it and it creates heat and it can wear them out quicker

there really isnt anything you can do to prevent it. its just a thing that happens, sort of like intake leaks on 3.1 and 3.4 liter engines.
Wow. This exactly what I wanted to hear. We've had an especially treacherous February here in MD and potholes are abroad. In fact, my right tire was frozen in place after an ice storm and it took 3 guys to push it out. Maybe it got damaged in the process. I just wish this was properly repaired before I bought new tires. I could have gotten another 10k out of them. But anyways, thanks for the diagnosis.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
munsonator008
munsonator008 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

yes get it fixed, it can wear tires funny as well.

plus its annoying as hell, i cant even stand the noise when i drive customer cars. its an ugly sound. like an engine knock
munsonator008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
sgarnar
sgarnar is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Bad alignment and wheel bearings as posted above will wear your ties out quickly. I highly suggest getting it into the shop. I learned this one the hard way. I've had the noise you describe twice and its the wheel bearings.

On my 03 ION I had the first set of bushings done at 40k and the drivers side wheel bearing at the same time. The 2nd set came around 60k miles and they are bad again a 3rd time and the passengers side wheel bearing is going as well. The car has had 3 sets of ties in the past 2 years, 2 sets of brakes and one set of rotors. I will admit that we have a number of pot holes around the area i drive but my other Saturn driven the same places never had a single issue.
sgarnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Loveisis77
Loveisis77 is on a distinguished road

ok finally got my steering wheel shaft fix and the car is running like a dream. It costed me about $200. It was well worth it. I had a 2001 Civic and by 2003 at 70,000 miles my transition blew costing me over $3,000 with rentals and tows. Considering I have 84,000 miles on my Saturn, I am very pleased with the fact there has only been small issues like the Tires, Brakes, Bushes, and the steering wheel shaft. These are things to e expected in any vechile with the miles I have.
Loveisis77 is offline   Reply With Quote