SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Jarret
Jarret is on a distinguished road

Default Car stalling and hesitating

I have a 2001 Saturn sw2 around 90,000 miles. The car runs fine for a minute or two but then when you press the gas it surges , bucking, lurches while driving .When im at a stop and give it gas it stalls.If i turn on the A/C the car will turn off completely .The car was running fine till i got the radiator replaced .The idle is around 800-900.

I have taken it to 3 different mechanics one had it for 9 days the other 5. One said the TPS .They couldnt figure out whats wrong with it .They said they didnt find any vacuum leaks..Its not showing codes.I have had the TPS, ignition coils , fuel filter, spark plugs , wires ,valve cover gasket. replaced. The mechanics said the fuel pump is good , crank sensor is good .

I bought a hand held vacuum gauge to test the MAP sensor. what was weird is that at 20 in-Hg I got around 3.6 on both the old sensor and the new sensor ? I know its suppose to be around 1 in-hg am i right ? I know im leaving some things out .

thanks for reading.
Jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Car stalling and hesitating

Do you have any exhaust leaks? Have you actually checked?

Another possibility is a failing ICM.

Check the plug wire routing as the car will run poorly when severely swapped around.

Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

EXHAUST
Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
Jarret
Jarret is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help.
Jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

showing Check Engine Light / codes?

ECTS is the brass tipped kind?
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote