Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #21
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Why would you buy a Aura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
That's because Toyota's check bounced....
Haha, that explains it then.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than liked for who I'm not.
gmhashope is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #22
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I have driven the Aura and would have the XR already if finances allowed. As much as I want a midsized sedan, my budget screams out for something smaller and less expensive.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #23
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
I have driven the Aura and would have the XR already if finances allowed. As much as I want a midsized sedan, my budget screams out for something smaller and less expensive.

Its called a Saturn Astra, and is coming soon!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #24
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Actually, just about all of us can say that. What kind of comment is that? I've owned an S-series, traded it for an L200. Now I'm in an Ion. I'd buy an Aura if I could swing the payment. It's beautiful, stylish, comfortable, competent and a great deal considering the equipment. Not everyone likes the looks of the Camry, nor the novacained feeling of driving the ultimate Japanese appliance. To each their own, right?
First, I'm glad you have been around more people than me who have positive things to say about Saturns. I haven't been so lucky.
I can't respond about how the car drives because I haven't driven either car.
I will tell you that because people 350k to over 400k people this year love there Camrys. Now take repeat customers like here at Saturn and you have a winner. People see other people driving Camrys. Its not magazines nor televisions that selling Camrys its people seeing other people drive them along with there great looks and reputation. Having Lexus as there Flagship model only help sells Camrys. They even share the some of the same appearances.

Hondas are the same with having Acuras as there Flagship. Caddys isn't doing the same for GM. Caddy is no longer the standard, Lexus is carrying that flag now.

Now Aura may sell, but it will be taking Malibu and G6 customers, not Camry and Honda customers.

I like Volvo and they are known for making safe cars. The bad side is that they are also known for staying in the shop more than in your driveway. So most people do as I would and pass on the Volvo.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #25
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
First, I'm glad you have been around more people than me who have positive things to say about Saturns. I haven't been so lucky.
I can't respond about how the car drives because I haven't driven either car.
I will tell you that because people 350k to over 400k people this year love there Camrys. Now take repeat customers like here at Saturn and you have a winner. People see other people driving Camrys. Its not magazines nor televisions that selling Camrys its people seeing other people drive them along with there great looks and reputation. Having Lexus as there Flagship model only help sells Camrys. They even share the some of the same appearances.

Hondas are the same with having Acuras as there Flagship. Caddys isn't doing the same for GM. Caddy is no longer the standard, Lexus is carrying that flag now.

Now Aura may sell, but it will be taking Malibu and G6 customers, not Camry and Honda customers.

I like Volvo and they are known for making safe cars. The bad side is that they are also known for staying in the shop more than in your driveway. So most people do as I would and pass on the Volvo.
VERY TRUE, the best way to sell something is to have someone else show it off for you!

Also true about the Volvo, my dad had a S60 and it was towed twice last year for one reason or another and it has less than 20K miles on it!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #26
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Your thoughts are about 5 years behind. Cadillac is doing fairly well now and their models are getting a lot of respect.
Lexus is a good brand and competes with BMW for top sales in the US.

Quote:
Poor customer service at Toyota dealers will drive people to the Aura.

Quote:
Volvo had quality problems for a few years but are a lot better now. In the 80s they were as good as Toyota. Volvo sells as many cars as they make.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #27
liquidslap
liquidslap is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I drove the Camry and would have one if it wasn't so damn expensive. For everything I got in my XR, I would have been paying over 150 dollars more a month for the Camry. Camry isn't worth that much more money over the XR.
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #28
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
I have yet to ride in the Aura but I rode in a new Camry last night. Except for the 4 banger sound at takeoff the car rode and felt nice. Power was good and we had know problems moving down the highway.
Wow, the highway... what a demanding task for a modern car How long was the drive? I remember my friend's Corolla had the most uncomfortable seats that were particularly noticeable after about 30-45 minutes so I'm wondering if the new Camry has the same shortcoming.

Quote:
I asked my daughter-in-law (her car) if she had thought about the Aura when she bought the Camry? She had test drove both and chose the Camry instead.
Okay, but why did she choose the Camry over the Aura?

Quote:
Her previous car was a Corolla. It was easy for her going to the Camry because she didn't have any problems with the Corolla. Now, how many S-series customers can say that?
This one can! I've had 3 S-Series Saturns and 1 Vue... it was an easy choice for me to get into the Aura since I didn't have any problems with my previous Saturns What year was your daughter-in-law's Corolla? My friend got rid of his '03 Corolla because of all the problems that were creeping up after the 3/36 warranty expired.
Beautiful People First~
Galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #29
hasitha
hasitha is on a distinguished road

I got the Aura because I have had 3 previous Saturns and they were very reliable cars. This time it was a tie between the Aura and the Fusion. We got $750 Saturn loyalty cash for owning a Vue, and that put the Aura lease price below the Fusion.

The Camry was not in my list because it is not an American car.
hasitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #30
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Saturn has a ways to go to throw off the stigma it got from about 96-05.

My first new car was an 95 SL and it was a gem. I personally put 135,000 miles on it. It never stranded me and needed a grand total of TWO non-routine maintenance repairs in its life. Neither of which happened before 100k.

But I got to pick a Company car in 2002 and snapped up a VW Jetta 1.8T. Maintenance was the company's nickel, not mine! (Good thing too). Boss got tired of it a month ago and asked for a sub30 list of what I liked.
1. Cadillac CTS (you don't get what you don't ask for)
2. Aura XR
3. Accord 6MT
4. G6 GT 3.9 stick

I got lucky.
Whoever said Cadillac has no shine anymore hasn't driven a CTS. No other car for $29k will fit your family of four on a road trip, give you the delight of a Nurbergring suspension and 50/50 weight distribution, turn in 24 mpg in a Chicago commute and give the steering and handling control of rear wheel drive. Except for the cheaper interior (still good by my previous standards), this car is every bit as fine as a 525i and has sensible controls!

I would have been delighted with the Aura (which is straight-line faster than my 2.8 CTS), but the boss doesn't like the Saturn image. Nothing to do with the car, but Saturn lost the sale due to its previous image.

Camry didn't even rank. White bread, baby. (I confess to never driving an SE version - but the styling is still ) 400,000+ people seem to like white bread too. Bleck!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #31
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

As my sig indicates, three of my previous Planets were S cars and I'm on my second Ion. One of the tenets I've developed on whether I'll be a repeat buyer of a vehicle brand is - Did its products ever leave me stranded? That's not the only rule, but it's one of the biggest I use.

None of my Saturns have stranded me. Other than an engine computer replacement on the second S, which was purchased used and not serviced at any Saturn retailer, if it was serviced at all, I've only had to have maintenance work, cosmetic stuff and warranty work done on my five. That second S lasted ~60,000 miles in my care before I turned it in for Saturn #3, which I drove until ~125,000 miles.

If I had a house, a garage and the income to justify buying an Aura, I probably would spring for the XR. Why? I'm on my fifth Saturn so far so there'd be no reason to shy from a great thing. I just wish there were a genuine manual transmission option...
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #32
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They really aren't too bad now. I think they had problems from 98-03ish. That's a generalization, but my mom's Volvo XC90 is listed as one of the "most unreliable SUV's" or on the "Not reccomended" list or whatever, but it's been fine in the 35,000 miles she's had it. Also turns in great fuel economy (20 mpg city) for a 5,000 lb. car. Yeah, down the road it might turn up with some problems, but it's a great car in my opinion.
I want a Volvo S40 as my next car. SHARP looking.
-Joe
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #33
comcardi
comcardi is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

The Aura was an EASY choice for me. Owned two S-series, neither of which ever had a problem. I owned a Chrysler 300M (the round guy) and traded it in for the Aura. I wanted something that had great road manners for long trips, but had the spirit to take to back roads for my sportier days. I also wanted something that had great styling that would age well as time passed. I feel the Aura embodies all of these attributes and more. I believe if I purchased something else and then drove Aura, I would have been upset. I cannot image owning another car for the next 5 years......or until the 2nd Gen. Aura hits the pavement .
Saturn, the GM offspring that has finally been included in the will!
comcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #34
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post

1. Cadillac CTS (you don't get what you don't ask for)
2. Aura XR
3. Accord 6MT
4. G6 GT 3.9 stick

I got lucky.
Whoever said Cadillac has no shine anymore hasn't driven a CTS.
Interesting idea, going for the no option luxury car over the full option mid size.
Still, I wonder if the Caddy being RWD makes that big of a difference. I've never driven a RWD "driver's car" so I don't know by how much better the CTS or a BMW 3 series is over something like the Acura TSX or the Aura
Member of the Crank Window Club

Last edited by davidsky; 12-28-2006 at 09:54 PM.
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #35
wtxskater
wtxskater is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

This is an Aura site, duh, don't put down the car and expect support, most of us are owners!!!

I owned a Tacoma for four years, the first year the major command chip blew and it took four weeks to get another one - so much for Toyota reliablilty

I drove a Cam and Accord. Why did I buy the Aura - better drive, faster six, smoother and $7,000 less with a better service and support.

I was treated with respect at the dealer, not like I was pond scum and taking up too much of the dealer's time. I was told by Toyota salesman, "This car sells itself, we don't discount them.

We share Saturn, and Saturn Aura information. If you want to roast the car, go someplace else but don't look for support here.
"Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss
wtxskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #36
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxskater View Post
This is an Aura site, duh, don't put down the car and expect support, most of us are owners!!!
I know. I happen to still own a Saturn. An SC2 to be exact.
It not support I'm looking for. I like you have a Saturn and wonder why so many people feel the way way they do about them.

The timing chain was replaced in my 95 with about 75k miles on the odometer. It leaked oil (100 miles per quart)up until I had the engine replaced this year with 98k miles on the oem engine.
Look at the Saturn S-series forum and you will see about 25% of the post saying the same thing about oil usage.

I've put ~6k miles on this engine and I'm very happy with the performance although I thought the mpg would have been higher (27-28mpg).

Its paid for and doing what I need it to do now so all is well.

Quote:
We share Saturn, and Saturn Aura information. If you want to roast the car, go someplace else but don't look for support here.
It great that you are singing the Aura praise. Hopefully more people as the years pass will feel the same way as you do about Saturn. I dont own a Camry and will not be buying one. I do have an Acura TL that I'm very happy with.

I want Saturn to survive, but I dont want it to come at the expense of Malibu or the G6. (I 'm also a part owner of a 98Malibu).

Quote:
23444 for the 3 models (Aura, G6, and Malibu) vs. 34189 for Camry in Nov.
This will need to change or you and I will not have anything to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky:
Your thoughts are about 5 years behind. Cadillac is doing fairly well now and their models are getting a lot of respect. Lexus is a good brand and competes with BMW for top sales in the US.
This unfortunately is reality of how things really are

Quote:
Lexus cars 16156 vs. Caddy cars 9888. Nov. sales
Many of you have posted how much higher Toyota cars are compared to GM yet more people keep buying them in spite of those warm and fuzzy dealers that Saturn has.

Good view posted by previous Saturn owners, now what about new people?
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #37
Cowtown_Raider
Cowtown_Raider is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I'm new to Saturn and domestics. I was pro-import up until I was at the Saturn-Saab dealership test driving the 9-2X and there she was parked out front...a silver Aura XE. Took it for a drive and fell in love. Even after that, took about a week to choose between Aura and a Mazda3 Sport GT. About even money, but the Aura was just so much more car. I was on a pretty tight budget and the XE fit just under it (by about a dollar). I feel like I got a $40K car for $26K CAD. I couldn't be happier. Well...maybe an XR would make me happier, but the XE fits me just fine. It's stunning, well-built, solid, handles great, and is quiet and comfortable.

I don't really care how many they sell. Enough to keep the line alive and enough to make the imports nervous.
Cowtown_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #38
AuraXR
AuraXR is on a distinguished road

Well, I bought my Aura XR after driving Accords for the last 3 years. I was sold the first time I test drove the car. It proved to have a much better ride, more power, better features, and was significantly quieter on the road than the 06 Accord V6 I traded in.

It performs as nice as it looks and after 12K miles I do not regret my decision.

Regarding the new Camry I did drive one and IMHO it was OK but nothing to get excited about.....I would sum it up as boring. I got the 06 Accord instead but that was before the Aura was out.

Rgds,

Silver XR
AuraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #39
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
Wow, the highway... what a demanding task for a modern car How long was the drive? I remember my friend's Corolla had the most uncomfortable seats that were particularly noticeable after about 30-45 minutes so I'm wondering if the new Camry has the same shortcoming.
The ride was for approx 160 miles round trip to and from the airport. 5 people going and 4 coming back home. Rural highway going and freeway back home. The car rode and respond well. I'm not a Toyota fan by any means, but I wasn't disappointed either. Its a nice car but not for me. I can see why people would buy them.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #40
liquidslap
liquidslap is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

First time Saturn owner here. It would have been 2 bought by me in one day, but I could only get one A-Plan. So I ended up buying a Mercury Milan Premier edition for the wifey. No imports here.
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote