SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
MoneyTrell
MoneyTrell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default P0300 Need some help

Hey I have a Aura with about 232k miles. I just get a P0300 and i notice i have a rough idle but it starts up fine and when i am on the highway it keeps up speed fine. Everything seems to be running good. I am wondering do you think it just time for me to change the spark plugs? I am also wondering if it was the spark plugs wouldnt it be a certain cylinder instead of a random? I am also not sure when the plugs been changed because i got the car used.
MoneyTrell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: P0300 Need some help

SOunds like a great opportunity to change them... and all fluids and filters...
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

Fluids have been changed. But it is getting close to do a oil change. I dont think that could be causing it.

But you think if i change the plugs that should fix it?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have your owner's manual, check for maintenance intervals in regards to replacing spark plugs. Most Saturns have platinum plugs good for 100k miles unless an owner's manual specifies less. If no owner's manual, try here; http://www.saturn.com/owners/owner_r...s/manuals.html
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have your owner's manual, check for maintenance intervals in regards to replacing spark plugs. Most Saturns have platinum plugs good for 100k miles unless an owner's manual specifies less. If no owner's manual, try here; http://www.saturn.com/owners/owner_r...s/manuals.html
yeah that what i thought. You think it could be my 02 sensor? Because idles rough but runs good. I remember me checking a few plugs a couple of months ago and they where white but not black
Old 09-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While color is only one factor in determining plug wear, other factors need to be considered such as mileage and type of plug. Normal plugs should show tan coloring. White can be interpreted as lean fuel mixtures unless they're relatively new. New plugs have sharp edges on side electrodes with very little combustion deposits anywhere. Worn plugs will show side and center electrode wear as rounded edges and a larger gap than specified. These descriptions are termed as plug reading, similar to palm reading but based on science from past history of engine running and various plugs. If in doubt, replace spark plugs and stay with recommended stock plugs.

O2 sensors have no real expiration date whether using mileage or time. As an electronic component designed for long life, some fail prematurely while others last the life of an engine so a median life expectancy is recommended. Most O2 sensor replacements are from troubleshooting using error codes and/or hard diagnosis along with symptoms. I cannot tell you to replace O2 sensors without more information. Nothing posted points to an O2 sensor issue.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyTrell View Post
But you think if i change the plugs that should fix it?
YOu just bought a used car and don't know jack about it's past maintenance... Plugs are a maintenance item...
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

this is definitely one of the possibilities for that eng:

http://www.cartruckinfo.com/engine-m...ough-idle.html
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

It is a 3.6 so that not the same engine as me. Yeah i didn't know much because it is my Girlfriend car and she bought it from some guy. But he didn't tell us much about it.
I will probably just replace the spark plugs sense that is a regular maintenance item and I know the catalytic converter is going bad but in my county you don't need emissions. But i bypass that but i do not think the Random Misfire is caused from the Catalytic converter.

Because if it was the o2 sensor upstream i should get a DTC for the 02 sensor and not Random Misfire i thought.

It weird because when i turn the DTC off it will stay off for about a day then come back on. And it runs good so i am not sure.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #10
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyTrell View Post
It is a 3.6 so that not the same engine as me.
my bad. i've no idea why i thought it was a 2.4l now.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

It's werid. I notice it only comes on when the car is hot and when I turn the car off and let it sit for awhile and turn it back one it goes off. Car runs good and kind of idles a little rough