SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
2.2ecotec
2.2ecotec is on a distinguished road

Default 2.2 ecotec timing chain question

I pulled the valve cover off my 2.2 ecotec today to polish it. While doing so I noticed that the upper chain guide plastic piece broke. So I removed it. Is that piece needed or is it just to protect the upper guide
2.2ecotec is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1
Default Re: 2.2 ecotec timing chain question

The guide should be there IMHO. I can't really be specific to what will happen as I'm not 100% on why there is a top one...

Off topic... I'm trying to polish a valve cover now... oh boy... any tips? Or is this going to be to a hand buster?
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostman View Post
The guide should be there IMHO. I can't really be specific to what will happen as I'm not 100% on why there is a top one...
Ditto to Frostman's comment. I don't know what will happen either if it's missing, but since the engine was designed with it's placement there I would not attempt to drive without it. (Of course, one can always decide to "roll the dice" in a situation like this if one so chooses...not a roll I'd choose to take.)
382K miles (engine replaced @ 375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
2.2ecotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostman View Post

Off topic... I'm trying to polish a valve cover now... oh boy... any tips? Or is this going to be to a hand buster?
If u got a drill or dremmel get a polishing wheel. I did it by hand and it was hard. I started with a 220 grid sand paper, then a 330, then 800, then 1500 wetsand, then polished with mothers aluminum polish
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

the chain gide is there to stop chain flex from cutting into the valve cover.. the fact that the plastic shoe is gone off of it is a very shure indacator that the chain has worn and needs to be replaced like testerday before is breaks up the statioanry guide on the intake side cutting into the head and block...
shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
2.2ecotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
the chain gide is there to stop chain flex from cutting into the valve cover.. the fact that the plastic shoe is gone off of it is a very shure indacator that the chain has worn and needs to be replaced like testerday before is breaks up the statioanry guide on the intake side cutting into the head and block...
Most likely I broke it removing the valve cover. I heard a snap so that was probably it. Is it ok to run until tuesday when the part comes in
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Only if you want to risk emptying your wallet for a new motor
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
2.2ecotec

What does it really do deside protect your valve cover. Ik nissan guys that remove them completely
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2ecotec View Post
What does it really do deside protect your valve cover. Ik nissan guys that remove them completely
Those tuners with their Damn timing belts! Ya I see that a lot too with the RB swapped motor 240's around here.

Speaking of valve covers... anyone know where to get new Valve Cover bolts?

Frostman- I thought I saw a bench grinder in the background of your nice shop setup. That's your best bet for polishing. You need lots of heat and rpm for polishing metal.
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
2.2ecotec

I wish i had a polishing wheel on a drill or bench grinder when i polished mine. But im in school and had to do it in the college parking lot. so it has some spots still on it
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
It guides the chain

YOu don't drive a nissan
'17 Suby Forester

Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

it is there to absorb the inherent flexing/springing action of the cam shafts due to the lobes in diferent open/closeing times to work together and help stop chain skips if the tensoner gets weak or the chain streches...it's your car do as you will... but it's never to late to replace it till it skips time or breaks... then it's too late

Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

LOL That bench grinder in my basement is a 30+ year old Flemming Grey skate sharpening machine. If my dad ever saw me using it to polish anything he would surely remove my ability to procreate! LOL

And I will have to get a better grinder/polishing tool. I have an air one, but the compressor we have is not large enough for it and the little electric one I have is too small. Oh well, I certainly have bigger things to be doing before I make her pretty ;p
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
2.2ecotec

part came in today and its put on the car. i had to drive the car a mile to get the part and everytime i let it idle i heard the chain hitting the metal. so at lights i had to put it in neutral and rev it up. when i took the old one off u could see where the chain hit the metal on the upper timing chain guide
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks to you - not jokingly nor with any other subtext in mind - we can know how important that item is. I appreciate the post!!
382K miles (engine replaced @ 375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
satlite440

2001 SL2

you better take a very bright flashlight and look down the intake cam side and look to see if you havent broken off the upper statioary guide from it's bolt.. bet you have...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
part came in today and its put on the car. i had to drive the car a mile to get the part and everytime i let it idle i heard the chain hitting the metal. so at lights i had to put it in neutral and rev it up. when i took the old one off u could see where the chain hit the metal on the upper timing chain guide
WOulda coulda shoulda... fast walk- 15 minutes for that mile. DOnt do that again.

COnsider changing your oil after you figure out what else is broke..
'17 Suby Forester

Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
2.2ecotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
you better take a very bright flashlight and look down the intake cam side and look to see if you havent broken off the upper statioary guide from it's bolt.. bet you have...

y would i of done that.