SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
PTAaron1
PTAaron1 has a spectacular aura aboutPTAaron1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Trans fluid change on 2005 3.5L

Okay - I've searched over the past few days and read every thread that seemed relevant on the topic, and I've read the Haynes manual... but I'm still not entirely clear on how to do trans fluid change. I mean I understand the concept of removing the old fluid and adding new fluid - even the idea of doing 3 drain/refill cycles about 100 miles apart... what I am missing is WHERE the stinking fill hole is! 2005 Vue AWD 3.5L...

I THINK I have identified it - can someone confirm for me that this bolt is likely the fill hole? This is looking down from the driver's side of the engine underneath where the intake hose turns and goes into the throttle body - there is a bar code/number strip just "above" the bolt (picture below because I can't post links yet as a newbie)

I had read a few things mentioning a 12mm bolt - this is definitely larger than 12mm. I also saw reference to a dipstick being held down by the bolt - there is clearly no dipstick visible there.
the Haynes manual also mentions a "Fluid level gauge"... but again, maybe I'm missing something?

Hoping to be able to do this some night this week - the Vue is nearing 100k miles, and I only just recently learned that the fluid is to be changed every 30k miles! I already have some Honda spec Valvoline Max Life fluid and a very long funnel ready to go - just need to get the procedure clarified.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58A59309-7535-4DD0-BFA9-C9B916067A0C_zpszvl0xgzo.jpg (69.2 KB, 54 views)
PTAaron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Ken L.
Ken L. has a spectacular aura aboutKen L. has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Trans fluid change on 2005 3.5L

That's it. The thread diameter is 12mm but the head takes a 17mm socket. I use a 12" and 6" extension attached to the socket to break it loose. I do have to snake my arm through some things to get to the plug as well. Be careful not to lose the washer. I also use a piece of 3/8" x 12" fuel line attached to a funnel when I fill the trans.

Once you get the hang of it, the process should only take a half an hour for one drain and fill. Hope this helps.
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
PTAaron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
That's it. The thread diameter is 12mm but the head takes a 17mm socket. I use a 12" and 6" extension attached to the socket to break it loose. I do have to snake my arm through some things to get to the plug as well. Be careful not to lose the washer. I also use a piece of 3/8" x 12" fuel line attached to a funnel when I fill the trans.

Once you get the hang of it, the process should only take a half an hour for one drain and fill. Hope this helps.
Awesome, thanks! Looks like I have my project for tomorrow night.

Is there a dipstick of some sort attached to the bolt?

How much do you end up putting in each drain and fill? I'm imagining it won't be the full 4 quarts since it isn't all coming out?

Last edited by PTAaron1; 03-31-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

no dipstick attached to bolt.. There's a dipstick towards the front.. down between engine and radiator.. just left of the battery. Pretty obviously once you look down in that area...

Each drain.. amounts to around 4.5 quarts I think... and be sure to clean off the metal shavings from the magnetic drain plug..

After you refill.. shift through the gears a couple of times.. waiting 3-5 seconds between shifts.. then you can shut engine, and immediately check the level...
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
Ken L.
Ken L. has a spectacular aura aboutKen L. has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line

It took me a while to find my dipstick as well. It's hard to find since the black loop blends in with all of the other black hoses down there. It's right next to the bottom radiator hose. mlc5 is right about the amount of fluid. 4.5qts should be right on. I personally use Redline D4 full synthetic ATF myself.

I just did a post about reading the tranny dipstick.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198191

Last edited by Ken L.; 04-01-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
PTAaron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc5 View Post
no dipstick attached to bolt.. There's a dipstick towards the front.. down between engine and radiator.. just left of the battery. Pretty obviously once you look down in that area...

Each drain.. amounts to around 4.5 quarts I think... and be sure to clean off the metal shavings from the magnetic drain plug..

After you refill.. shift through the gears a couple of times.. waiting 3-5 seconds between shifts.. then you can shut engine, and immediately check the level...
Thanks. I must have misunderstood some of the stuff I read about dipsticks
Procedure sounds simple enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
It took me a while to find my dipstick as well. It's hard to find since the black loop blends in with all of the other black hoses down there. It's right next to the bottom radiator hose. mlc5 is right about the amount of fluid. 4.5qts should be right on.

I just did a post about reading the tranny dipstick.
I found that post while searching for info the other day - very helpful.
I'll search around again for that dipstick now that I know where to look
I searched for a while Sunday but I wasn't exactly sure where it would be.
Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Here's a good thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176028
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
PTAaron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Here's a good thread . . .
That one literally answers everything, and does so very clearly. Thank you.
I missed that one somehow in my pre-posting search for answers.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
PTAaron1

...and I just located the dipstick tube... Why did they make the handle black??? I spent a good 20 minutes with a flashlight looking for it Sunday night with no luck, but now that I knew where to look it was right there!
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Do yourself a favor & use the dipstick tube to refill, I slipped a piece of fuel line (about 12 inches) over the dipstick tube with a small funnel on the other end.

That filler is buried in the back under electrical components, I have a long reach (36") & still had issues plus the bolt is pretty siezed up.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
PTAaron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Do yourself a favor & use the dipstick tube to refill, I slipped a piece of fuel line (about 12 inches) over the dipstick tube with a small funnel on the other end.

That filler is buried in the back under electrical components, I have a long reach (36") & still had issues plus the bolt is pretty siezed up.
Thanks for the tip.
I was going to give it a go tonight when I get home from work - if the filler bolt comes loose easily, I will go that route... if not I will go the dipstick route.
I have some small hose attached to a funnel from adding trans fluid to a T5 that should work well if I have to go in through the dipstick.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron1 View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I was going to give it a go tonight when I get home from work - if the filler bolt comes loose easily, I will go that route... if not I will go the dipstick route.
I have some small hose attached to a funnel from adding trans fluid to a T5 that should work well if I have to go in through the dipstick.
Forget the size on the fuel line (3/8 I thought but not sure ??? it will be a snug fit), but use a lil fluid on the inside to ease it on about a half inch down the tube... it was kinda hard finding a funnel that small for the top though. May go a lil slower filling, but much easier IMO.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
PTAaron1

I found a perfect hose setup to fill through the dipstick tube, but I thought I would try the fill bolt first... using an old crappy 1/2" drive torque wrench, a long extension, and a Craftsman 17mm socket I was able to pop it loose on my second pull - although I'll be honest and say I thought the socket had cracked rather than the bolt moving!

Anyway - just stopping by the computer because I realized I had 5 reference photos for the fill plug but none for the drain plug... Doh.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I found a perfect hose setup to fill through the dipstick tube, but I thought I would try the fill bolt first... using an old crappy 1/2" drive torque wrench, a long extension, and a Craftsman 17mm socket I was able to pop it loose on my second pull - although I'll be honest and say I thought the socket had cracked rather than the bolt moving!

Anyway - just stopping by the computer because I realized I had 5 reference photos for the fill plug but none for the drain plug... Doh.
Probably too late but here's a pix of drain plug ... go in just slightly right of center-line to access.

I want to say I'm proud of you and happy to have you on forum. Your rep was looking shaky when you were thinking of filling through dipstick hole.

Doing it that way makes about as much sense as pouring 4.5 quarts of oil through the oil dipstick thingy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2014-04-02 21.53.44.jpg (100.0 KB, 24 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
PTAaron1

Well that was easy... and wow does that max life synthetic ATF smell horrible.

The old ATF was pretty obviously never changed - you couldn't even tell that it used to be red at some point.

Put in 4 quarts and about 8oz (AWD trans - supposedly 4.3qts needed) and the fluid level is right between the 2 holes on the dipstick.

Thanks for the help!

Will be doing this again in another 100 miles
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
PTAaron1

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Probably too late but here's a pix of drain plug ... go in just slightly right of center-line to access.

I want to say I'm proud of you and happy to have you on forum. Your rep was looking shaky when you were thinking of filling through dipstick hole.

Doing it that way makes about as much sense as pouring 4.5 quarts of oil through the oil dipstick thingy.
Thanks for the pic. I followed the link someone posted up above and printed off the PDF of the drain/fill procedure so that helped.

I was only keeping the dipstick fill option open as a last resort if I couldn't budge the fill bolt Luckily with a long enough lever arm it came loose pretty easily - if you call a 230lb man leaning his whole body weight back and pulling on a torque wrench easy. Funny how the spec for tightening it back up is barely any force!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Luckily with a long enough lever arm it came loose pretty easily - if you call a 230lb man leaning his whole body weight back and pulling on a torque wrench easy. Funny how the spec for tightening it back up is barely any force!
Both drain and fill plugs go better on subsequent ATF refreshes.

They used industrial strength lock-tight on both plugs and did so for multiple years.

Both were "projects" on the 05, 06 and 07(2) I take care of.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
FINCH
FINCH is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Replace the crush washer before putting on the drain pug, and i learned the hard way that tighter isn't always better.

HTML Code:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186248
FINCH is offline   Reply With Quote