SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
saturn20
saturn20 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 brake caliper issues?

has anyone had problems with the calipers not operating properly, possibly causing some vibration in driving?

My vue vibrates somewhat at almost any speed, but it' most noticeable on the highway, and the funny thing is it changes from one day to the next specifically seems to be tied with weather.

I've done everything from new rotors and pads, new rims and tires - road force balanced, had the tourque converter reprogrammed, and have had 5 delaerships check it out - and nothing changes.

I was driving home from work the other night and it was before it was going to rain, and then as it poured for a few minuetes and the roads got wet the vibration dropped allot. I also notice that the vue pulls left slightly on the highway and I get some high pitch squeal from only that wheel once in a while from stopping.

If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
saturn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2007 brake caliper issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn20 View Post
has anyone had problems with the calipers not operating properly, possibly causing some vibration in driving?

My vue vibrates somewhat at almost any speed, but it' most noticeable on the highway, and the funny thing is it changes from one day to the next specifically seems to be tied with weather.

I've done everything from new rotors and pads, new rims and tires - road force balanced, had the tourque converter reprogrammed, and have had 5 delaerships check it out - and nothing changes.

I was driving home from work the other night and it was before it was going to rain, and then as it poured for a few minuetes and the roads got wet the vibration dropped allot. I also notice that the vue pulls left slightly on the highway and I get some high pitch squeal from only that wheel once in a while from stopping.

If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Wheel bearings maybe? Are you one of those northerners with road salt types?

I can't imagine the brake caliper would cause you vibrations.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I agree with XRL,
but I am wondering if it may also have a totally frozen front strut link.
if it squeals..the sound may not be the brake, if both articulated surfaces are frozen..immovable, it could be that there is no rebound in the suspension at the strut link,,and the vibration is just amplifying through the frame..and as you say, when it gets wet..it gets better..which makes me suspect that once it has any mild lubrication it seems to help. you cannot just look at a strut link and pronounce it fine, you need to have it taken apart ..and see if both ends move, if they do not..that could be your trouble. 30-45 dollars at a reputable parts supply, and about an hour per side to change, thats with jacking, setting stands, unbolting the old, and replacing. I actually hope you find this is the problem, as its a very easy fix if it is. XRL, what do you think?
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.....has anyone had problems with the calipers not operating properly, possibly causing some vibration in driving?...I've done everything from new rotors and pads, new rims and tires...... . I also notice that the vue pulls left slightly on the highway and I get some high pitch squeal from only that wheel once in a while from stopping.....
Was the brake fluid ever flushed and replaced with new fluid? Reusing old fluid isn't good at all when new rotors and/or pads are replaced. When the pads were replaced were the slide pins and rubber bushings cleaned of old grease and relubed? Not doing so will cause binding and uneven brake wear. Brakes serviced correctly and inspected periodically, as in tire rotations, will show both pads wearing evenly while poorly serviced brakes will show more wear on one pad than the other. It will be obvious by just looking over the top of the calipers to inspect pad wear.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by docderek05 View Post
I agree with XRL,
but I am wondering if it may also have a totally frozen front strut link.
if it squeals..the sound may not be the brake, if both articulated surfaces are frozen..immovable, it could be that there is no rebound in the suspension at the strut link,,and the vibration is just amplifying through the frame..and as you say, when it gets wet..it gets better..which makes me suspect that once it has any mild lubrication it seems to help. you cannot just look at a strut link and pronounce it fine, you need to have it taken apart ..and see if both ends move, if they do not..that could be your trouble. 30-45 dollars at a reputable parts supply, and about an hour per side to change, thats with jacking, setting stands, unbolting the old, and replacing. I actually hope you find this is the problem, as its a very easy fix if it is. XRL, what do you think?
I could see that as an issue, though my front endlinks don't really cause a vibration per se, as much as they cause a wobbling noise when one wheel is higher than the other - it is not a constant vibration, though I could see describing it as a vibration when the wheels are at unequal heights. The endlinks are a known failure point in this vehicle, so that could be.

My other thought is it could be a bushing of some sort. The bushing gets wet and expands a little, or swells from heat, and it works correctly again. But when it dries out and shrinks, it vibrates again.

Again, I'm no expert on these sorts of things by any means, but logically it doesn't make sense to me for a near constant vibration to be coming from a brake caliper, unless it's just not on correctly and somehow has enough force from wobbling due to the wind to cause your vibration. But this could also be caused my a lot of things that aren't up to correct torque specs.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
saturn20

Thanks for all the feedback,

I'll have to check the bearings, I think the procedure is to jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheel correct?

And i'll definitely look into the strut links, I'm up in CT so definitely lots of salt and sand on the roads, I was planning on replaicing the shocks this spring anyways so i Can do it all at once.

and i still have to check on my front left caliper, thats the only side i get sound from and looking at the rotor there is a nice gouge/ring in one spot all a round it from something between the pad and rotor. plus in the morning or after there is allot of moister in the air the brakes seem to bind a little until i drive it for a few mins down the road - giving me a different noise through the whole vehicle - sort of a pressure release like a dull noise not high pitched, and seem to be front left.

In regards to the calipers - the aftermarkets look to be two piston and mine are currently one - does anyone know if the pads are the same size or will they be different?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Front brakes are 2 piston already.

If you have lots of salt, its likely the wheel bearings. Some people in heavy salt states go through 4 a year.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
saturn20

XRL - are you stating that calipers are 2 piston or are you asking me?

also doesn't the bearing make noise when it goes or not all the time?

thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
saturn20

docderek05, by any chance do you have a picture of a strut link or end links? or a pic of the part from pepboys or advanced auto or napa is what i got around here for parts stores. I just want to make sure I'm looking at the same thing.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
XRL - are you stating that calipers are 2 piston or are you asking me?

also doesn't the bearing make noise when it goes or not all the time?

thanks
They're 2 pot fronts. 100% sure.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
... and i still have to check on my front left caliper, thats the only side i get sound from and looking at the rotor there is a nice gouge/ring in one spot all a round it from something between the pad and rotor.
OMG ... (pardon the drama) ... according to your first post you've had the Vue to five dealers - new pads, rotors, wheels and tires and no one has noticed you have a foreign body in the left front brake?

Once upon a time I had a piece of granite gravel lodge between the rotor back-plate and rotor and it did squeal - but not constantly.

I suggest you make it a priority to find the reason for the gouge.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
saturn20

nope, literally just had it into a chevrolet place for the reprogram of the tourque converter and mentioned the vibration issues, they claimed that they believed the vibration was fixed from the reprogram - no - and said they checked the bearings which I also don't believe because they would have been looking at my wheels on the lift, and you can see right through my wheels to the rotors because they are a very open design, plus they said they also did a multi point inspection which is bs.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Saturn20 ... I'm sure we agree if you have an object wearing a groove or gouge in the rotor something is hosed-up.

If you can't get competent support from one of your local mechanics you may have to take matters into your own hands.

I've attached pad replacement instructions from the 2005 Vue service manual (no significant difference to your 2007) for you look over.

Repost if you'd like any of the other documents listed in the extract.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue - Brake Pad Change.pdf (121.2 KB, 21 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
saturn20

OK, I replaced my rotors over the weekend with ATE slotted rotors and hawk pads, found at Tirerack, for the most very easy and everything seems good, but for some weird reason when I stop a certain way once in a while I hear like a thumping sound from them? don't know why and it seems to be only on the left, has anyone had any experience with slotted rotors making sound under hard braking? I also tested my bearings to the best of my knowledge the right way - and didn't notice any play, and when I talked with a gut at the parts store he said I should hear it - but I don't think that's always true. And has anyone heard of the hubs getting bent at all? My wife apparently slid into a curb in the snow and went up the bank slightly with the right front side (but my problems seem to be left side) and failed to tell me because nothing seemed wrong.