SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 02-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Turtle Wax ICE Polish not very good...

I used Turtle Wax ICE on my roof of my VUE because being it's a synthetic it's supposed to protect the surface better than a conventional Carnuba based wax.

It's been 3 months and I decided to get up high and check on it. There was several spots and buildup that the ICE did not protect the finish. I had to spend about an hour with Adams Detail spray to get it back to normal.

I'm going to use Adams Butter wax on it tomorrow and see if it lasts any longer.

I put a couple pics in my library. I just bought a Sony A100 DSLR and had to try it out.

JD would probably tell me I should have bought a Canon...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
gstien
gstien is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Turtle Wax ICE Polish not very good...

Someone else would probably tell you to use Meguires.
I use Meguires spray wax every other wash.
This usually works, and it worked on my last car.
I did this for 3 years, and when I traded it, the Saturn dealership couldn't believe it was 3 years old.
I've heard of Adams, but never used it.
gstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I had a new bottle of Zymol, I cracked it open and put a coat on the roof while the VUE was in the garage. We'll see how it holds up. I used Zymol many times on my SC and it did a good job.

Adams is a really good product. I like their detail spray, everything seems to work well. They now have a glass cleaner that works well.

I never tried Meguiars wax before. I tried their leather conditioner, but wasn't convinced it was the best leather conditioner. I may give them a shot next.

Does anyone have a recommendation for their wax?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

And I would tell you that you should have bought a Nikon!!!

I use meguiars wax, but that's because I'm cheap and haven't gone out to buy what you recommended to me yet. So far, spooky keeps getting detailed by the head detailer at Saturn, or by the incredibly wonderful Spazmatic Kat.
2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos
fotovue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Turtle Wax ICE Polish not very good...

well nice pics, and anything sony is good lol.
Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotovue View Post
And I would tell you that you should have bought a Nikon!!!

I use meguiars wax, but that's because I'm cheap and haven't gone out to buy what you recommended to me yet. So far, spooky keeps getting detailed by the head detailer at Saturn, or by the incredibly wonderful Spazmatic Kat.
There's an interesting story why I bought the Sony DSLR. Minolta has backed out of the digital camera market last year. I've always had a Minolta SLR since 1981, starting with a X700. It gave me years of wonderful pictures. I bought several Minolta digital cameras and the last one was a Minolta A1 5meg. I own almost every option and accessory. I went to use the Minolta A1 a few weeks ago and it wouldn't work. I sent it back to Mack to get it repaired under warranty.

Minolta sold all their DSLR assets and technology to Sony. The camera I bought is a Sony improved Minolta designed camera. My Minolta wireless external flash works with the Sony. Also any Minolta Maxmum lens will work with the Sony A100.

I researched my decision extensively. dpreview.com gave it a "Highly Recommended" rating. They rated it as good or better than the Nikon D200, and Canon EOS 30D. The Nikon D200 and Sony A100 use the same Sony built 10.2M CCD chip.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Red Line Vue
Red Line Vue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

I am getting ready to use the Meguiers Clay Bar System on our Veu which is a few months old to us but built in July of last year. I have used the Mothers Clay Bar System on my 89 SSP Mustang that I show, and have been pretty impressed. I did the Clay bar on my wifes 00 SL2 before we traded it in and it really brought back the shine and depth to the paint. My 2 Cents

Tom
Red Line Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I think I'll try the clay bar in a few months. I can say the Zymol reflects and shines more than the Adams butter wax. It was pretty tough rubbing the Zymol off, like waxing the car for the first time.

I have a Zaino kit, but I eant to run out of Adams before trying it.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=fotovue;1003154]And I would tell you that you should have bought a Nikon!!! QUOTE]

I second that - Nikon D-50.
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
MarvC
MarvC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

[QUOTE=kodak_jack;1003719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotovue View Post
And I would tell you that you should have bought a Nikon!!! QUOTE]

I second that - Nikon D-50.
No,
A Nikon D200....

From a Canon 30D to the Nikon D200 Love the Cam..
I have used Turtle Wax Ice but really considering changing thanks for the info!

MarvC
MarvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Beautiful picture!

The Nikon D200 has the same Sony CCD device as the Sony A100. I have a $300 Minolta wireless flash that works with the Sony. It seemed I couldn't go wrong. I know the Nikon name is legendary among photographers, but this camera should work well for me.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page24.asp
Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The Adams will be a definite step up, but I don't expect it to last more than a month or maybe 2.

How much do you wanna spend HAHA Lots of good options

For good and inexpensive on dark colors (my vue is black as well):

Meguiar's ColorX (if you want something with strong cleaning ability and does addsome protection) and then optionally top that with some Meguair's #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax (great on dark colors and won't stain trim!)

ColorX can be found about anywhere (WalMart Target, Auto parts stores for 8-11 bucks or so)

#26 is at about every autopart store I've been to..about 10-12 bucks.

Meguiar's NXT wax is really good as well (15 bucks and sold everywhere)

Another fun package, if you're willing to wait for shipping, is a sampler kit from Finish Kare (fk1usa.com) 19 bucks + 5 to ship. Comes with 7 very nice products. The sealant will last 6 months easy and looks great...and the detail spray and pink wax are awesome as well
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
MarvC

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

[QUOTE=BobbyP;1003830]Beautiful picture!

The Nikon D200 has the same Sony CCD device as the Sony A100. I have a $300 Minolta wireless flash that works with the Sony. It seemed I couldn't go wrong. I know the Nikon name is legendary among photographers, but this camera should work well for me.

Many thought it to similar in the pre-production stage but not the same sensor CCD as the D200 23.6 x 15.8 mm.
The sensor in the Sony displays a little more noise above ISO 800.
The D200 CCD has multiple (4) data paths from the CCD sensor which allows much faster write times of the data from the sensor.
The Sony is a nice cam and should give you years of service.

Conclusions:
It was inevitable that Sony would choose to put a ten megapixel sensor in the A100 and as expected the sensor is based on that used in the Nikon D200 (although as I've already mentioned Nikon are keen to stress that their edition has some specific design elements for that camera, four channel readout for a start). The A100's sensor is at its best between ISO 100 and 400, delivering fairly noise free and sharp images with plenty of detail (especially if you shoot RAW). Above this and the A100 loses out in comparisons to Canon's excellent CMOS sensor which maintains more detail and exhibits less noise.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

[QUOTE=MarvC;1004010]
Quote:
Beautiful picture!

Many thought it to similar in the pre-production stage but not the same sensor CCD as the D200 23.6 x 15.8 mm.
The sensor in the Sony displays a little more noise above ISO 800.
The D200 CCD has multiple (4) data paths from the CCD sensor which allows much faster write times of the data from the sensor.
The Sony is a nice cam and should give you years of service.

Conclusions:
It was inevitable that Sony would choose to put a ten megapixel sensor in the A100 and as expected the sensor is based on that used in the Nikon D200 (although as I've already mentioned Nikon are keen to stress that their edition has some specific design elements for that camera, four channel readout for a start). The A100's sensor is at its best between ISO 100 and 400, delivering fairly noise free and sharp images with plenty of detail (especially if you shoot RAW). Above this and the A100 loses out in comparisons to Canon's excellent CMOS sensor which maintains more detail and exhibits less noise.
Conclusion: The Nikon writes faster, and the Canon has less noise at higher ISO's than both the Nikon and the Sony. This seems to be something Canon has done consistently well over the years. There's just something I've never liked about Canon, this even goes back to the film days. Nikon would be great, but it always seemed to expensive...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Minolta sold all their DSLR assets and technology to Sony. The camera I bought is a Sony improved Minolta designed camera. My Minolta wireless external flash works with the Sony. Also any Minolta Maxmum lens will work with the Sony A100.
Will the lenses and flash off my old Maxum 3xi work on the Sony? I have a lot of money invested in my Minolta, and don't want to start over just to go digital. Why did Minolta get out of digital? What's left to make; high end film cameras?
"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
MarvC

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

[QUOTE=BobbyP;1004069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvC View Post

Conclusion: The Nikon writes faster, and the Canon has less noise at higher ISO's than both the Nikon and the Sony. This seems to be something Canon has done consistently well over the years. There's just something I've never liked about Canon, this even goes back to the film days. Nikon would be great, but it always seemed to expensive...
Canon uses CMOS sensors in all their cameras just as the Nikon D2x and D2xs cams.
Usable ISO up to ISO 3200.
Exposure is the key in dealing with high ISO noise. I use Noiseware to clean up the noise on some of the shooting above ISO 1600 with the Nikon.
Canon has always been known for the low light camera of choice.
The 5D is one nice machine for low light work.

This is a great place to ask questions regarding Minolta/Konica etc. Absolutely the best place for the photo-hog!

http://www.dpreview.com/
Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I had a new bottle of Zymol, I cracked it open and put a coat on the roof while the VUE was in the garage. We'll see how it holds up. I used Zymol many times on my SC and it did a good job.

Adams is a really good product. I like their detail spray, everything seems to work well. They now have a glass cleaner that works well.

I never tried Meguiars wax before. I tried their leather conditioner, but wasn't convinced it was the best leather conditioner. I may give them a shot next.

I too use Zymol. I use a electric random orbital polisher/waxer to put it on an buff it out.

I get good beading up to 12 months. I handwash during the warmer weather. In cold weather, I cautiously use the sprayer at the gas station.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #18
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gll1955 View Post
I too use Zymol. I use a electric random orbital polisher/waxer to put it on an buff it out.

I get good beading up to 12 months. I handwash during the warmer weather. In cold weather, I cautiously use the sprayer at the gas station.
I have to be skeptical of 12 months. I used to use it and would get about a month, maybe 2 if I was lucky.

Zymol is known as a 'pretty' wax and not a durable wax Even Zaino and Klasse Sealant Glaze, which are known as some of the most durable sealant are lucky to go 12 months
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
gstien
gstien is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I use NXT spray wax on the Vue.
I used Gold Class on the Baja, and never had a problem.
The only reason I'm using NXT is because the retailer was out of Gold Class spray wax.
As for the conditioner, I used the Gold Class leather conditioner on the
Baja for 3 years, and the black leather still looked new when I traded it in on the Vue. I applied it once a month to the seats, and the trim (that was leather), and the steering wheel. From the first time I used the product, till the time I traded the car in, the leather was soft and had that "leather" smell.
In fact, Saturn didn't believe me when I told them the car was an
03. Just from visual inspection of the inside and outside.
I swear by Meguires, but that's just me.
gstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound bus View Post
Will the lenses and flash off my old Maxum 3xi work on the Sony? I have a lot of money invested in my Minolta, and don't want to start over just to go digital. Why did Minolta get out of digital? What's left to make; high end film cameras?
Your lenses will work. Minolta sold the whole division to Sony because they said it was changing so fast they couldn't make money. My flash is a Minolta 5600HS I used with my A1 digital camera. I works great with the Sony. I heard Nikon only makes two film SLR's a very cheap, and a very high priced model. All the other companies are following suit.