SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
MamaBoots54
MamaBoots54 is on a distinguished road

Question SC1 stalling

Yesterday morning I had to pump pump & hold down the gas pedal to get my 2001 SC coupe started. She started up & ran clean all day-smoother than she’s run for some time. On the way home from a quick errand in the evening she started running rough like she wasn’t getting enough gas & stalled out as I coasted into my driveway then wouldn’t start again. She had a bog out a wk ago when i accelerated at light , didn’t stall but ran rough. After sitting all day she started normal but ran a little rough like she was a bit clogged up. It subsided & she’s been fine till now. What’s her problem?
MamaBoots54 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: SC1 stalling

Let's start by trying to wean you off of that "pump, pump..." routine. That accomplishes nothing but adding to confusion. No fuel is ever "added" by pumping the accel pedal with these EFI engines.

If you have starting issues, it is worthwhile to hold the throttle all the way open and see if that makes a difference. Full throttle, while cranking, invokes "flood clear" mode and shuts off injection pulses. That will help if the engine has become flooded.

The most likely cause for your starting problem is the ECT sensor. If that has not been removed for checking/replacement, then do so. Or, use live-data to check the ECT sensor operation; and several other possibilities
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
MamaBoots54
MamaBoots54 is on a distinguished road

My car started running hot now. She has coolant, I cleaned the air filter & a new filter is arriving today but it wasn't that dirty. She's been starting fine & hasn't stalled once since I posted but immediately starts running hot. I watched a video about the disconnecting the fan sensor but it was for a different S model. Mine seems to be somewhere that I've yet to find. I don't know if she'll even make it home from work. And the heater trick doesn't cool it down under the hood like Eric the mechanic said it would.
MamaBoots54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Like billr said, the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) is suspect. If you put the car on a scanner, and the temperature doesn't make sense, that can cause your starting issues. Also what do you mean by immediately - 10 seconds or 10 minutes?
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

My car is a 2001 SC2 that I got in April 2000, and it had the plastic ECTS that cracks. If original should change it and check the electrical connector for green corrosion.
It's GOOD to have a spare!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote