SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 12-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
m4gician
m4gician has a spectacular aura aboutm4gician has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1
Default ah 9005 silverstar ultras in my lows...very very nice.

Okay well I don't have pics that aren't showing glare, so i'll describe it the best I can. The benefits of using a 9005 bulb is that it is uncapped and is a 65w bulb running @ 55w.

Well i'm sure some of you have read the mod i posted on how to make the Vues lighting brighter without too much money, just a little of time. Anyways search for my bulb thread you'll see here

Anyways to see the difference, park facing a white wall, or your garage door or even an empty street. Change out one of the bulbs and replace with either a silverstar 9005 (ultra is a little brighter) or a PIAA bulb 9005. The difference between the lowbeam original and new 9005 lowbeam is that you'll see a little bit more, and the area that is already illuminated by your lows, will be brighter.

In terms of Lumen output, the Silverstar ultras are about 2100 lumens which is about 65% of the lumens an HID puts out (3200) so I mean it's also about 110% brighter than your stock 9006s (at 1000 lumens).

I believe at pep boys there was a sale on these silverstar ultras for the US with some sort of rebate combination that brought the price down to $9.99 to $14.99 so I mean this is a very affordable way to upgrade your lighting at night. Just do a good job shaving so it fits the socket snugly (doesn't have to click). Enjoy guys.
2005 Black Saturn Vue AWD V6
Aftermarket additions:
- Webasto Panorama Sunroof
m4gician is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
asrawlings@mchs
asrawlings@mchs is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: ah 9005 silverstar ultras in my lows...very very nice.

I too did this mod to my '06 Vue back in July...WOW! It pisses off everyone else on the road but I love the difference. I haven't found a great tool for adjusting the lights down a little to please oncoming drivers. It takes a long narrow phillips head...
asrawlings@mchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: ah 9005 silverstar ultras in my lows...very very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrawlings@mchs View Post
I too did this mod to my '06 Vue back in July...WOW! It pisses off everyone else on the road but I love the difference. I haven't found a great tool for adjusting the lights down a little to please oncoming drivers. It takes a long narrow phillips head...
me too! hehe.

I found it quite easy to adjust...the white adjuster is on top, a small crank and it was done. I thought I used a crescent wrench...could be wrong, but it is easy to get at (pop the hood and it stares you in the face).
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
m4gician

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrawlings@mchs View Post
but it's a noticeble difference when driving, and it helps improve your safety. It shouldn't blind the drivers though, make sure you completely shave the bulb down as it may distort aiming.
Aftermarket additions:
Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I suppose modifying the 9005 HIGH BEAM lamp housing for low beam use (the correct one being 9006) to effectively illuminate the road seems to be a good idea when you're not on the other end of the lamps shining at you at night. That explains why one of you seems annoyed that everyone else on the road is rightfully annoyed that all of you are blinding the rest of us with HIGH BEAM headlamps in your low beam set-up. Nice going. Hope you never have one of these aimed at you, uncorrected of course, it just might remind you why there are low beams and high beams.

BTW, the internal cap is to limit the blinding light output of the 9006 low beam lamp by using the reflecting/refraction and diffusion effect.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-31-2006 at 02:38 AM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
.....Nice going. .....

BTW, the internal cap is to limit the blinding light output of the 9006 low beam lamp by using the reflecting/refraction and diffusion effect.
Your welcome....LOL....btw - I did re-aim the sucker to make sure I was not blinding anybody..actually, adjusted it even lower than spec....it's those so-called adjustable HIDs that kill me...three times the lumen output of halogens....
Thanks for the info on the 'internal cap's' purpose....
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
m4gician

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

Quote:
I suppose modifying the 9005 HIGH BEAM lamp housing for low beam use (the correct one being 9006) to effectively illuminate the road seems to be a good idea when you're not on the other end of the lamps shining at you at night. That explains why one of you seems annoyed that everyone else on the road is rightfully annoyed that all of you are blinding the rest of us with HIGH BEAM headlamps in your low beam set-up. Nice going. Hope you never have one of these aimed at you, uncorrected of course, it just might remind you why there are low beams and high beams.

first off, I'm sure you're adverse to change. Secondly, aiming these bulbs is key to having them operating effectively. Thirdly, they put out a lot of light and do not blind drivers as long as they are aimed properly. There is an aiming adjuster on each headlight.
Aftermarket additions:
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Red Line Vue
Red Line Vue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

So what can we use to get better lighting out of the Driving Lights? I have a 07 that takes the H11 bulb.

Tom
Red Line Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
first off, I'm sure you're adverse to change. Secondly, aiming these bulbs is key to having them operating effectively. Thirdly, they put out a lot of light and do not blind drivers as long as they are aimed properly. There is an aiming adjuster on each headlight.
I'm afraid you're mistaken as to being adverse to change as much as its the willful abuse of some person taking advantage to modifications such as putting HIGH BEAM lamps in place of low beams and totally disregarding the supposed re-aiming, if any, to justify better illumination that makes me and everyone else angry that you can be so cavalier about this. Bet you never had those same lamps aimed at you on the opposite side of the road. Have you considered the fact that the wider angle of light these high beams disperse continue to blind oncoming traffic as they drive closer to you? And please don't mistake re-aiming these high beams as an excuse to use them safely. That's why they're deliberately made non-interchangeable to prevent blinding on-coming traffic. As you have flaunted the safety design to the detriment of the general driving public I'm just stating my displeasure and I'm sure I am not alone in this. The drivers that honked and/or high beamed you will signify their displeasure with you too.

As a matter of fact I welcomed the re-design of the old sealed beam lamps of the past when lamp design no longer required sealed beam assemblies in strict round fashion when european lamp design and light focusing became the standard, utilizing halogen technology and separate light focusing lenses. It meant the lenses focused more light in a narrow area farther down the road while the halogen technology produced a brighter light output. I may be old but I'm not so old to be ignorant of lighting technology to understand a high beam is used to illuminate a road where there aren't opposing traffic to blind drivers and if there were the standard road courtesy still requires one to return back to low beams until traffic has passed. Ever heard of driving courtesy? I happen to love high beams and when driving a lesser used road I turn on my high beams and sometimes marvel when I can hold the light stalk where both low and high beams are on simultaneously! It's great to light up the whole area in front of me. But I digress, as you can understand I too enjoy the benefits of high beam useage but not to the detriment of opposing traffic. I've seen mis-aligned headlights that ignorant drivers, unable to become the victim of such ignorance unless they sit in someone else's vehicle to see their error in misalignment, drive w/o a clue as to why they're high beamed or honked at. There are more drivers willing to bypass safety to the detriment of the masses and you add to that small but unsafe minority. What I don't understand is that to begin with you are already sitting high up in an suv but still need more illumination? I've been myopic since high school and wear glasses but I'm afraid you may be more myopic than me.

As a side note, truck drivers use the same headlights as we do and sit way up higher but don't seem to need the hi-beams except on deserted highways. They too appreciate road courtesy and signal their displeasure to incorrect hi-beam useage. Maybe spending more time adjusting to night driving with existing lighting will help you. Truckers are a very rugged breed of overnight drivers and my past driving experiences have always confirmed their overall adherence to lighting courtesies when driving with them or passing them.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-01-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
popp
popp is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Line Vue View Post
So what can we use to get better lighting out of the Driving Lights? I have a 07 that takes the H11 bulb.

Tom
PIAA makes an H11 in xtreme white and a plasma yello.......
'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)
'05 VW Passat Wagon TDi (1st @ '08 World Of Wheels)
'93 VW Jetta (1st @ '03-'07 World Of Wheels)
'61 VW Beetle (Resto Project)
popp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

fdryer - I understand where you are coming from (being blinded by morons who fail to adjust thier headlights), but the current low beam lights are a detriment to one's health on a moonless night in the mountains, with deer taking potshots.....wholly inadequate. When I changed them out, I took care to ensure the beam pattern was lower or the same as the factory low-beams (no effect on width of beam). If you stare into a HID setup you'll defintely get blinded, no matter how well they are aimed. Why do you suppose cars are coming out with HID setups, that triple the lumen output, if not to see better and farther down the road?
'Silven'

Old 01-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mellisam, excellent point about HID's but they aren't designed as flood lights, wide dispersal beam patterns as there are two parts to HID's, the carefully designed lens and reflector as well as the extremely bright lamps. The careful reflector design takes into account the placement of the lamps in focusing the output in a narrow pattern without excessive side brightness yet still allow illumination. The beam pattern is downward and slightly to the right, if I'm not mistaken, and still throws a longer beam further down the road for better illumination than our halogen lamps. I believe by minimizing the beam pattern through narrow focusing also minimizes the exposure time of the intense part of the beam to oncoming traffic. They're slowly becoming the standard bearer for headlights but until the exotic prices come down most of us will have to live with plain lamps. I don't think you'd be blinded by these HID's if they're factory installed and observing them from the opposite side of the road. If in fact they were and other drivers signal their displeasure then perhaps the one's you've observed were unsafe add-ons done by a DIY'er not aware of proper aiming techniques or simply doesn't care. The shoes are now on the other foot, as it were. Staring into any headlight will blind anyone quickly and part of driving technique is to avert one's eyes to the side instead of looking directly into headlights.

High beams aren't narrowly focused but take advantage of the full output of light and throws it in almost every direction including upwards hence the overall brightness in front of the car. The lens/reflector assembly is also designed to reflect as much light forward as possible and in the widest angle. It's this general focus that blinds everyone, including the truckdrivers sitting highest above the ground as the general hi-beam pattern is scattered forward and upward. Light glare if you will. Anyone driving late at night with only truck traffic for company and on the opposite side of the road separated by a wide strip of ground will readily see how far hi-beams upset those drivers several hundred yards to one side. They simply flash their hi-beams to let you know your hi-beams are blinding them, even when there is a half mile of visual separation.

The deliberate modification of 9005's for lo-beam use just throws away the carefully matched arrangement of 9006 lamps to the lo-beam lens/reflector assembly. The uncapped 9005's allows all the brightness and glare everywhere, the very reason you enjoy the brighter illumination. Wouldn't switching to high beam (I know its, annoying after awhile) suffice as that's what they're for?

Last edited by fdryer; 01-01-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
As a side note, truck drivers use the same headlights as we do and sit way up higher but don't seem to need the hi-beams except on deserted highways.
I've talked to many a trucker and 99% of them will tell you they don't think they're lights are "bright" enough. Infact, they've all got "score cards" with how many deers they've hit. (don't notice it as much with a big ass deer bumper on)

As a side note, most 2007 Volvo and Peterbuilt Semi's come standard with HID's.......so your theory about truckers "dealing" with the light they have doesn't hold as much water as you think.........
'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)
Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp View Post
I've talked to many a trucker and 99% of them will tell you they don't think they're lights are "bright" enough. Infact, they've all got "score cards" with how many deers they've hit. (don't notice it as much with a big ass deer bumper on)

As a side note, most 2007 Volvo and Peterbuilt Semi's come standard with HID's.......so your theory about truckers "dealing" with the light they have doesn't hold as much water as you think.........
I never stated that they didn't like their situation any more than you or I but I'm sure they aren't willing to risk relinquishing their CDL's for illegal light mods. Even driving at above legal speeds doesn't deter them from using ordinary low-beams. The standard HID's on trucks, I'm sure, are after all factory installed to take advantage of legal lighting limits within the guidelines generally accepted by the DOT. That means they're aimed properly and won't blind traffic in front or opposing traffic. I don't have any problem within accepted safety regs unike some who think they're above it all. Not on the roads that we share. I'll bet they have more to lose than you or I do as I'm not paid to drive over the road for my livelyhood just to have the brightest beams forgetting about anyone else. Unfortunately for the long haul driver, whether it's car or truck driver, animal avoidance is a hazard for anyone so illuminating the road is everyone's concern and not for the few that perform mods without fully understanding the consequences of their actions. I know you don't like it anymore than anyone else when an inept driver leaves his/her hi-beams on or has an improperly aimed low-beam aimed directly at you. That's just too easy a rebuttal. There are plenty of lamp replacements for any DIY'er willing to spend the time researching legal higher output low beam lamps than resorting to just plugging in high beams where low beam lamps belong. It's the conscientious driver that is aware of his/her actions on the roads we all share that stands out and not the few attempting to getting by without due regard to the rest of the driving public.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
High beams aren't narrowly focused but take advantage of the full output of light and throws it in almost every direction including upwards hence the overall brightness in front of the car. The lens/reflector assembly is also designed to reflect as much light forward as possible and in the widest angle. ........
The deliberate modification of 9005's for lo-beam use just throws away the carefully matched arrangement of 9006 lamps to the lo-beam lens/reflector assembly. The uncapped 9005's allows all the brightness and glare everywhere, the very reason you enjoy the brighter illumination. Wouldn't switching to high beam (I know its, annoying after awhile) suffice as that's what they're for?
I understand the high beam dispersal pattern, but the low beam housing is meant to focus the light, irrespective of what light bulb you put in there....I was using the HID as an example...that if you stare into them (not recommended, of course), you will become blinded more so than high-beam halogen in low-beam spot. When I installed the 9005 in the 9006 spot, I was in an underground and faced a concrete wall (even measured to ensure I was aiming them properly - both in distance to wall and height)...I noticed no different dispersal pattern when one had the usual 9006 vs 9005. The only difference was that the 9005 were brighter. I haven't been 'flashed' by cars on the hwy due to my light set-up. However, I do see much better at night...much better. If I ever take out a headlight to muck about, I will take pictures of the dispersal pattern to show that the beam breadth is no different than 9006 low-beams. I was worried about that, and took notice of the beam pattern.
'Silven'

Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
hoob
hoob is on a distinguished road

I too have installed the silverstar ultras (9006 and 9005). I love the improvement.

I see no need to make any further mods.
hoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
popp

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
I'll bet they have more to lose than you or I do as I'm not paid to drive over the road for my livelyhood just to have the brightest beams forgetting about anyone else.
My Wife and Kids beg to differ........getting paid to drive DOES NOT outway my families safety!!!

I do however agree with you on your views about aiming the lights to not annoy on coming traffic. Mellissa has done it which make the mod ok, but if you don't adjust then your just ignorant.........
'05 Vue RL (Some Mods)
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
m4gician

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp View Post
My Wife and Kids beg to differ........getting paid to drive DOES NOT outway my families safety!!!

I do however agree with you on your views about aiming the lights to not annoy on coming traffic. Mellissa has done it which make the mod ok, but if you don't adjust then your just ignorant.........
I completely agree, and as for blinding other drivers. Not to say that everyone is getting accustomed to this kind of change, but with the number of BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes out there with HID PROJECTORS out there, thing kind of 'blinding light' is becoming more and more common. I mean after years of driving, I've gotten used to these kind of lights, and appreciate them so much more. During the summer I'll be trying to retrofit some into my Vue, and hopefully I can adapt a design that everoyne can use.
Aftermarket additions:
Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
Red Line Vue
Red Line Vue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

Put the PIAA H11 in the Driving Lights tonight. Not to bad. I wish I would have read the thread before I bought the 2006 Silverstae Ultras bulbs.

Tom
Red Line Vue is offline   Reply With Quote