SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
DDLuken
DDLuken is on a distinguished road

Default Should I junk my '08 Astra?

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on what to do with my 170,000+ Astra, which is in need of a number of repairs (new clutch and slave cylinder, various suspension components, new flex pipe, full brake job, and new windshield to satisfy Rhode Island vehicle inspection). I was quoted $2-3,000 (or maybe more) for all repairs, by a trusted mechanic. He advised me, however, against having it repaired, considering the mileage on the engine, and the make of the car (in his humble opinion). I decided to purchase a new car, but it breaks my heart a little to think of junking this otherwise healthy car which has given me very few problems over the years. I would appreciate any thoughts folks might have. What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks much,
D L
DDLuken is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Should I junk my '08 Astra?

The hyper-inflation of 2021 changes the question a bit. Used car prices rose by 30%+ and decent used cars were very difficult to source. New car lots in our area are empty and the few cars available have sticker premiums. Also our local mechanics that previously charged $65/hr suddenly were charging $120/hr.

Last year, a used high mileage Astra might have sold for $2k, after sitting on the market for a long while (assuming all the issues were fixed). This year is a different kettle of fish. Still, given the issues on your Astra, it might not be worth $1k as it sits without repairs.

In normal times, I would junk the Astra. But if you can get all that work done for $4k and the car is otherwise excellent, maybe consider keeping the Astra.

The Astra clutches typically seem to last around 100-120k miles. The brakes are normal maintenance. The exhaust flex pipe is a weak point on the Astra but usually under $200 to fix.

At that mileage, you probably need to replace quite a few suspension bits, including:
- rear springs/struts
- front springs/struts/bellows/strut mounts/tie rod ends/drop links/control arms
- front end alignment

That suspension work is pretty easy in one shot. You can find sources for suspension parts in these forums.

I would be reluctant to ignore the mechanic's advice. There is a point where one starts to throw good money after bad.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
DDLuken
DDLuken is on a distinguished road

AstraFasta,
Sound advice, thanks very much for your considered reply. Time to face the music I guess...
DDLuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLuken View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on what to do with my 170,000+ Astra, which is in need of a number of repairs (new clutch and slave cylinder, various suspension components, new flex pipe, full brake job, and new windshield to satisfy Rhode Island vehicle inspection). I was quoted $2-3,000 (or maybe more) for all repairs, by a trusted mechanic. He advised me, however, against having it repaired, considering the mileage on the engine, and the make of the car (in his humble opinion). I decided to purchase a new car, but it breaks my heart a little to think of junking this otherwise healthy car which has given me very few problems over the years. I would appreciate any thoughts folks might have. What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks much,
D L
IMHO, 3K for all repairs is actually an awesome price considering all that items you listed that needs to be done!
08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

If your chassis is not corroded, I'd say do the repairs.
That would be my biggest factor for the decision.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I would say it really depends on how satisfied you are with the deal you can get on its replacement. It's a tough market, with scarce inventory and few incentives, but obviously it's very model-specific. If you're happy with the deal you can get on its replacement, and it's on the car you want equipped as you want, trade it in and don't look back. It's done well for you and you'll be moving on with happy memories.

On the other hand, if you've had to make a lot of compromises (wrong trim level, color, options, etc.) or you're forced to deal with no incentives or even a dealer markup, I'd consider repairing the car and sticking it out for a while. Just remember that the $3k estimate (which honestly sounds like a good deal) is only the beginning; you're probably looking at a timing belt for another grand in the next 25k miles or so.

I see a lot of potential for people insisting on buying right now ending up making compromises that ultimately drive them to be unsatisfied with their purchase and moving on from the car far quicker than they normally would, which will cost them a lot of money.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote