SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
DiggerD
DiggerD is on a distinguished road

Default Disposable Rotors

Took my '05 Redline in to the dealership yesterday. 15,000 miles and both the ROTORS and PADS are toast.
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
VUE TO KILL
VUE TO KILL is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Disposable Rotors

Mine gave out at around 20,000. The dealership covered the resurfacing. 40,000 miles and the thing is scary to stop from speed... I'm thinking upgrade,
VUE TO KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
jrjack1
jrjack1 is on a distinguished road

Just got my '05 rotors replaced at 25K. The dealer told me that they get this a lot on the VUE(probably cheap rotors to begin with). They initially told me that the rotors were covered under warranty for 2yrs or 24K, but they were reasonable and replaced them at no charge. The brakes still don't feel great, and I have a sneaky feeling that I'll be in the dealership with the same issue within the next year.
I like my Vue, but the rotor issue concerns me a bit.
I'll be sending Saturn my feedback on this matter.
jrjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
BlueVue05
BlueVue05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem.....I have had two of them and both times the rotors have gone to crap.....My dad keeps telling me its how I drive but now I know that yeah it may have a little to do with that but I am not the only one with the problem
05 Blue Redline w/ebony package/All Black Accents/K&N intake

91 BMW 850i Remus exhaust/K&N air filters/ 19lb injectors
BlueVue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
turbotoad
turbotoad is on a distinguished road

My 06' has less than 1000 miles on it and the brakes are already starting to pulse a little

Here's an interesting article on "disk warpage" and what causes brake vibrations. The problem may not be the rotors alone, but might have more to do with the pad material and the caliper design.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Last edited by turbotoad; 08-13-2006 at 12:03 AM.
turbotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVue05
My dad keeps telling me its how I drive but now I know that yeah it may have a little to do with that but I am not the only one with the problem
Not to be obnoxious, but your Dad could be right. Driving techniques have a lot to do with rotor life. Your driving enviroment may be exceeding the OEM rotors capabilites, or you may be experiencing rotor runout.

There's nothing wrong with Saturn's brake design. It's a very proven design.

"Economy rotors, by design, cost less than premium quality rotors. However, economy rotors are one of the leading contributors to premature disc pad wear, noise, and vibration. Independent tests have shown that economy rotors can cause 100% more brake noise, 30% more pad wear and 20% less stopping ability than premium quality rotors.".
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brkewrhsefaqs.htm

Rotor runout, will cause the rotor to wobble when it spins. Turning the rotors could make the problem worse. Having the rotors turned on the vehicle will compensate for variations in your hubs. Rotor runout can be caused by several things: variations in manufacturing tolerances, sloppy resurfacing procedures, a buildup of rust and corrosion between the rotor, hub and wheel, and uneven torque on the lug nuts.

Read the links I pasted below.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf110322.htm
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr20244.htm
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

Last edited by BobbyP; 08-13-2006 at 01:50 AM.
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
VUE TO KILL

2004 VUE Red Line

Great sites, I have never messed with brakes myself because I didn't want to be responsible for their failure... I also had no idea what to do when it was time to replace my stoppers. I used to sell my cars before I ever had to do brake work on them but my O4 is staying in the family for a while!~
Keepin it Clean
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Tyrone
Tyrone is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Disposable Rotors

I got fed up with my rotors after 16,000 miles. The Dealer told me that they would not turn them after 12,000 miles (out of warranty). So, I replaced the OEM with EBC Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Green Stuff Heavy Duty/Low Dust/Long Life Pads. They stop on a dime. There is no wobble or vibration. I also wanted to upgrade my brakes because I switched to 20 inch Wheels. I must say that I am happy so far.
Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Well, I have to agree with BobbyP... the loose nut behind the wheel is a likely cause for prematurely warped rotors. The other likely causes are heavy stop and go traffic, riding the brakes, a lot of hard braking, and overtightened or unevenly tightened lug nuts. I have 38k on my OEM pads and rotors, and they are still fine, quite a bit of life left in them, and I tend to drive pretty hard. I've even gotten them really hot on a couple occassions (track day), but have been fortunate enough to not have any issues with warpage (uneven pad deposits).

If you are changing pads and rotors every 15k, then try a couple different brands and combinations, and going up-market may be a good idea for you. It's not uncommon, but then again a lot of people are really hard on their brakes.

Also, you should check your rear drums. It's quite possible that they aren't doing any of the braking work and your front brakes are getting overworked as a result. They could be rusted stuck!
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I got fed up with my rotors after 16,000 miles. The Dealer told me that they would not turn them after 12,000 miles (out of warranty). So, I replaced the OEM with EBC Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Green Stuff Heavy Duty/Low Dust/Long Life Pads. They stop on a dime. There is no wobble or vibration. I also wanted to upgrade my brakes because I switched to 20 inch Wheels. I must say that I am happy so far.
I too got fed up with the OEM rotors/pads and went with Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors and ceramic pads. Amazing difference...like night and day! Ended up doing the same on my SL2...same effect!
2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman
I too got fed up with the OEM rotors/pads and went with Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors and ceramic pads. Amazing difference...like night and day! Ended up doing the same on my SL2...same effect!
That's good to hear. Drove the SL2 to work yesterday, noticed that its breaks are starting to pulse quite a bit, pretty annoying. 37k miles with most of it pretty hard stop & go, not too surprised though. Where'd you get your Stillen gear?
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
whitmans77
whitmans77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone
We will see how my dealer deals with my brakes.I am just over 15k and i am feeling the pulsating a bit. I hope they turn them if not then I will go elsewhere. This is how goofy my dealership is... I called to set up an appointment to get an oil change then I asked if they would take a look at my brakes and she asked me if i wanted the 19.95 inspection. I then asked her about my warranty. She put me on hold and quickly dropped all ideas of me paying for an inspection.
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
jrjack1
jrjack1 is on a distinguished road

Just brought my '05 Vue back to the dealer to look at the rotors again. They replaced them for me 3000 miles ago, and I'm getting that pulse again. They resurfaced them this time, but I know I'll have this issue again. It looks like I'll have to go with a non OEM aftermarket rotor and brake pad set. Any suggestions?
jrjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I believe it was posted that Bosch was the OEM manufacturer, so you don't want to go down that path...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:21 AM   #15
VUE TO KILL

2004 VUE Red Line

[QUOTE=Tyrone]replaced the OEM with EBC Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Green Stuff Heavy Duty/Low Dust/Long Life Pads. They stop on a dime. There is no wobble or vibration.QUOTE]
After some consideration of the thoughful comments on this topic I too went with the EBC rotors and pads. Shipping was fast and the packaging was top notch, very secure.
Significant stopping upgrade for about two bills.
Keepin it Clean
Old 10-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #16
Tyrone
Tyrone is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
1997 SC2

I too spent about $200.00, total, for my Rotors and Pads. I now have approximately 8k miles on them and not a single hint of wobble. I had the Calipers painted Red and they really look "cool". I think you will be happy with the upgrade/change VUE TO KILL!
"Still Amazed By HIS GRACE"
Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I do a LOT of brake jobs, and from my experience, the pulsating is generally driver induced by working the marginal oem brakes too hard, warping the rotors. Then they have the rotors resurfaced, removing even more of the heat dissipating material and the problem comes back even sooner. I generally find also that the newer brake pads are SO hard, that the rotors wear faster than the pads do. The factory is always looking for the lightest possible rotor, saving unsprung vehicle weight, and then they tend to get them made from the cheapest cast iron available. Light weight rotors are the LAST thing you want in a street car. That's why the aftermarket rotors work so well. They dissipate heat so much better than the oem clunkers. Many oem rotors are SO thin to start with that they can not be legally resurfaced ONE TIME! Also, too many brake "technicians" do not do a good job of cleaning up the moving surfaces between the caliper and the caliper mount and properly lubing up the guide pins so that the caliper moves freely and BOTH brake pads work together. It doesn't matter whether you go to the dealer, Midas, or the corner garage, many mechanics don't take the time to do the job right. Some have never even been shown HOW to do it right.
"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote