Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Does this make sense? (long)

Hi all. I need a third party, unbiased opinion here.

I was sitting in my 94 SC2, ON STREET parking because I have no garage, working on a few interior glitches. My neighbor comes out, and sees me working on my car.

I thought yeah big deal. I NEVER once in 10 years of living here have EVER spoken to my neighbor (because he's rarely outside, and about 65 years older than me). No bad bonds, I just never talk to him.

Here's my point. I had a block of wood (which I use for blocking the rear wheels when my car is on jackstands) and a part of what is left of an aftermarket alarm system laying ON THE STREET between my car and my neighbors sidewalk. The block of wood has been there for some time, as I'm always using it. The alarm part was there for roughly 5 days (and sat almost behind my drivers side wheel).

My neighbor gets on his riding lawnmower, starts it up, and calls his dog along with him. He starts driving right toward me (I'm still woking on my interior, and on the phone with my girlfriend). Eventually, he is blaring his riding mower RIGHT into my drivers side door, which was open.

I look at him and smile, thinking there is nothing wrong. Then, he shuts off his mower, get this mean, GLARING look on his face and starts to say, in a strong and firm (almost yelling) voice, "Look at this, you've got blocks and parts all over the place."

I told him fine, I would get rid of them as soon as I was finished. Then he continues with, "Next thing you know, all your friends will be here doing the same!"

This time I said back more firmly, "I said, I'll move them!"

He gave me a harsh look and rode off.

My whole point here is.... Was my neighbor correct to "yell" at me about two things that were ON THE STREET by MY car, but in front of HIS house? I have another car parked right in front of the car I was working on and it, too, is in front of his house. In front of MY house, are my 99 SL2 and my mothers Chevy Malibu. Like I said, NEVER has my neighbor (I don't know his name) ever said one word about mine or other cars parked there, and there is debris on the street at random places more often than not. My neighbor himself has a two car garage and he ALWAYS parks in there.

Who is right here? My neighbor for yelling, or does he have no business what other people put on a public street, even though it's in front of his house?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

P.S.: I DID intend on throwing away that alarm part when I was done, before he confronted me about it.
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Does this make sense? (long)

I say it's a 50/50 thing. The guy coming out and going off on you, when he has never said a word about before isn't right, but you got bunch of junk laying around in front of his house isn't cool either. Why not try jocking the cars around so that when your working, it's in front of your house and keep the cars that are together in front of his house. He can't get pissed for what you are doing in front of your place.
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Yeah that's an idea but why go through all that hassle for something so minor? It wasn't a bunch of junk, it was a block of wood and a small piece of electronic equipment. I'm surprised he even saw it from where it was relative to my left front tire.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Ponch
Ponch is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.5L
1998 SC2

He might have been just jealous and wishfully thinking back to the days when he did the same thing on his 50 Chevy or whatever. Sounds like he doesn't have much treadwear left so don't pay it any attention. Life really IS too short for such a thing. . .
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

What may seem like no big deal to you, may drive the guy to come out shooting. Do what ever it takes to keep the peace. I'm a cig smoker and don't have a problem throwing a butt down on my property, I'll pick it up later. But if I'm in someone else's yard, I'll put it out and stick it in my pocket. Like I said , If your in front of your place, the guy can't say squat.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch
He might have been just jealous and wishfully thinking back to the days when he did the same thing on his 50 Chevy or whatever. Sounds like he doesn't have much treadwear left so don't pay it any attention. Life really IS too short for such a thing. . .

I agree. The guy can barely walk, he is overweight, and drives a HUGE suv. Every time I go work on my SC2, he dog runs out and starts barking at me. There is invisible fencing so I ignore it.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

I have a feeling the guy has been building up this anger for a while, probably been bugging him that you park your cars in front of his house. To be honest with you it would bug the crap out of me.

I recall that some jurisdictions do not allow you to work on your car on the street. Do you have a driveway you could do your work on? In our area you can't park your car on the street overnight, it must be on your driveway.

As someone else mentioned I wouldn't push the guy too hard he might be armed....

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Technically, the owner of a property owns the property out to the middle of the street with an easment requiring that the owner cannot build on or block the street and sidewalk, so, the "public" street in front of his house does belong to him and he has every right to stop you from parking there. There can also be numerous codes and laws regarding what you can do to your car and where you can do it, depending on the city. Trashed neighborhoods can start with just one broken down on blocks. He just doesn't want his neighborhood looking trashy.
03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter
I recall that some jurisdictions do not allow you to work on your car on the street. Do you have a driveway you could do your work on? In our area you can't park your car on the street overnight, it must be on your driveway.

Kevin

No driveway or garage. I swear everyone else on my street if not block HAS a garage! I'm the ONLY house with no garage and no driveway. I have no choice but to park on the street.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
stevestar99

Working in the street sucks. I've lived in some places that the street was all there was. The way I got around it was to build a ramp to jump to curb and get the car in the front yard, what little there was of it. You don't have to worry about somebody driving by and taking your door off.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I don't think he really had the right to YELL at you. It is the PUBLIC street. Although if it was bothering him because it was in front of his house he could've asked nicely.....he didn't need to yell.....that's the problem with today's world, people have forgotten how to be kind, they always want to start a fight or yell or b**** someone out.
R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #12
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

if you're going to put the car up on blocks or jackstands, make sure the ground is solid or use a big flat piece of wood.

i made the mistake of jacking up my car on a slight downgrade of soft grass and the rear of the car fell off the stock jack!!!
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #13
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fuzz
Technically, the owner of a property owns the property out to the middle of the street with an easment requiring that the owner cannot build on or block the street and sidewalk, so, the "public" street in front of his house does belong to him and he has every right to stop you from parking there.
Um where does this apply....? Because it's not like that in CA.

And in my city there is an ordance against working on cars in the street.
Scout238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

What dosen't make sense to me is why this is in the "S" Series section....
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
What dosen't make sense to me is why this is in the "S" Series section....
Because I drive an S series and I thought this to be the most relevant place to post. If it should have been posted somewhere else then so be it.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

True, maybe this should be posted elsewhere..........regardless, I myself wouldn't like someone working on their car in front of my house. My neighbour across the street works on his car everyday in his driveway. It bothers me to no-end, mostly because he's an a**.

But, I'm pretty reasonable. If you don't have a driveway to do the work, just don't leave any junk/parts lying around when your done. Be mindful of what your neighbour has to look at out his front window.

As for who owns what regarding to property and the road, I am almost certain (here anyway) the city owns the property about 8 feet from - and including - the road.
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

If he's never said anything to you before, it's odd that he would come out yelling this time, but it is his house, and I can understand why it would bother him. But to come out yelling before even mentioning it before isn't right. He should have tried the calm approach first. I know my neightbours don't like it when I have junk parked behind their driveway (the ones across the street, so it's infront of my house, but makes backing out a little more difficult for them). A friend of theirs hit my S-10 one day and they asked me to park further back in front of my house, and I did, but ine day I had a junker parts truck behind their driveway because that was the only place I could leave it until the junk man showed up to take it. It was only there one day and I spraypainted "SORRY!" in bright orange. They were OK with it.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #18
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
It was only there one day and I spraypainted "SORRY!" in bright orange. They were OK with it.

HA! I like that!

Anyway, I've decided to to simply move the car I'm working on in front of MY house (if it's moveable), and park in front of both my house and his. Have I mentioned this neighbor of mine lives ACROSS the street? There are houses on both sides of mine and his, however if I park an INCH too close to the house on my right (on street perspective), the old lady calls the cops and says I'm tresspassing. Trust me when I say I've got very limited parking.

I DO, however, have a nice sized alley way that runs right into MY backyard. I work on my car there sometimes, but it's on a rather steep incline so I don't go there often. (I've caught people dumping *liquids* in that alley before, because it runs parrallel to my backyard, then simply ends in a treeline. People think it's OK to dump **** there. I don't say anything to them SOLELY because they will say that alley isn't my property. It more than likely isn't.

There is an older, abandoned garage on the other side of that alley... which I fully intend on finding out who owns it, and then I am going to try to buy it. I've looked inside the windows before and there is nothing in there but a bunch of junk. No cars, just junk. Unfortunately, it's been locked for as long as I can remember. I don't want a B&E charge but damn I'm curious, LoL.)
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #19
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCaff2006
There is an older, abandoned garage on the other side of that alley... which I fully intend on finding out who owns it, and then I am going to try to buy it. I've looked inside the windows before and there is nothing in there but a bunch of junk. No cars, just junk.
That's actually a good idea. Some of my older friends did that years ago. It burned down when one guy thought that he could 220V power for his welder by attaching 2-110V lines in series. I'm not kidding.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Ok one doesn't need a degree in electrical engineering to know that you CAN'T DO THAT!! (I happen to HAVE that degree, too) I'm going to investigate about this garage more. I just might get lucky, ya never know.