SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Dustznutz81
Dustznutz81 is on a distinguished road

Default Mystery vacuum line

I have a 2001 Saturn, 5 speed, 1.9l dohc, 151,323 miles. Had issue with starter so replaced with new DB electrical (thanks to saturn fans forum), now it cranks but no fire. Checked all under hood and kick panel fuses, tried starting fluid and it acted like it wanted to fire. Started looking at the vacuum lines and found a broken line from the exhaust to what i think is a smog pump?? Part # 21210000 connected to secondary air pump & front of exhaust, vacuum line itself runs across the top of tippit cover with 2 clips holding it in place. Not sure if this is the source of my no start issue. Really love this vehicle and trying to burn it to the ground! Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Dustznutz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Mystery vacuum line

Did I read correctly, it did not fire and run for a second or so using the starting-fluid? Check for spark, check compression. I don't think any kind of vacuum leak would prevent it from firing and running briefly on a quick blast of starting-fluid.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
Dustznutz81

It never did start. Even with starter fluid it acted like it was going to. It sat for about 10 days with a dead battery then when I got the starter installed & battery fully charged it wouldn't turn over. Dont have the tools to check compression, is there any trick to check compression.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
DevinPotter
DevinPotter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

This may help its form scotty kilmer for vacuum leaks etc. on youtube check it out

https://youtu.be/PnU-SY6egr4

https://youtu.be/zMok2y05jNE
DevinPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Have you checked for spark?
It it was running and stopped after you swapped the starter, it is more likely a self induced issue. Though a compression test never hurts that is not the first place I'd look. If no spark check all the related wiring.

The vacuum line you describe sounds like the air injection system which is for cold start emissions. This would not cause a no-start.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:48 AM   #6
Dustynutz68
Dustynutz68 is on a distinguished road

Took #4 & #1 plug wires off of first coil to check for spark & nothing yet. Brand new plugs wires & starter with fully charged battery.
Dustynutz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

How about the 2/3 coil, any spark there? Use a (metal) paper-clip on one coil tower to close the gap down to about 1/2" for testing. Most ignition systems will give a good enough spark to jump from tower-to-tower, but not all.

If still no spark, at either coil, see if the fuel pump comes back on when cranking. The initial pump run at key-on doesn't count. Let the pump run for the two seconds and go off before cranking, then crank and see if it comes back on.

Also, you could check for injection pulses, when cranking, with a voltmeter or 'noid light. If the pump comes back on OK or the injectors pulse, then the "no spark" problem is in the ignition circuit. However, if either of those others fail (pump or injectors), then most likely there is a problem with the CKP sensor system or circuit.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try the simple stuff for checking fuel and spark.

You can test for fuel in several ways; fuel rail test valve for fuel pump and pressure, removing spark plugs and smelling them for fuel. Several starting attempts without the engine firing up results in either a flooded engine or zero fuel in each cylinder. Depressing the fuel rail test valve after turning on ignition should result in a good spray of fuel (cover with a rag). This tests for fuel pump operation and fuel pressure generated. Removing spark plugs tells you if injectors are operating. Do both tests as results are important since no one is standing next to you to see results.

Removing either pairs of plug wires to each ignition coil or all four can tell you if one coil is dead/faulty, power is missing (blown fuse) or both coils fail to spark, pointing to power or upstream fault.

The suggestions given don't require to much knowledge but some tools.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I would not bother checking for fuel yet, if it was confirmed there is no spark. Did you knock the CPS connector off? Any movement of the tach needle when you crank it?
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:06 AM   #10
Dustznutz81

Not sure where the crank shaft sensor is located? Thank you & everyone who has replied. Honestly I have tools but minimal hands on. Stepfather was a master mechanic for b.n railways. Being my first saturn & this plague or whatever the government calls it, I am pretty much winging it. If it makes any difference I drove it all the way back from Colorado to Tulsa Oklahoma 850 miles it started acting kind of funny about 600 mi in like losing horsepower uphill. Once It had sit overnight no issue. Then stalled in my driveway & hasn't moved since. Wont let me post a pic but #2 coil looks like it exploded from the inside.A few within 6 months before it just wouldn't start like no response except cluster panel. Cost wise it is close to being on the way to a crusher.Really love this car, my husky/wolf jumps in every time I try to start it & refuses to get out. We finally made her a soft spot In the back seat. Thanks agian for the advice.

Last edited by Dustznutz81; 04-09-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

*It's not a plague or the government. If you've been hiding in a cave without internet, this little orb we call earth has a world wide pandemic killing people indiscriminately with a virus, named covid-19. This virus broke out in Wuhan, China and spread worse than a wildfire around the world. The USA has three vaccines available, Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson to inoculate America. Despite conspiracy theorists/deniers/antivaxxers this virus is real and killing people no different from the flu killing millions back in 1918. We have annual flu vaccines. Many are eager to have one of the three covid-19 vaccines or already inoculated.

I suggest the simple tests mentioned previously as it doesn't require much knowledge and a few tools. If you can use a screwdriver then you can remove spark plugs. By removing them for tests, you'll see whether or not they're worn. Plug gaps between electrodes should be around 0.040 inch. New plugs are pregapped and usually checked to be sure with plug gauges. Auto parts stores have a round metal plug gauge with the outer perimeter stamped and marked for thickness. Slipping the marked thickness in the plug gap tells you if the two electrodes are worn. Perhaps the previous owner neglected to replace plugs.

With higher mileage, age related parts are often ignored. One is the exhaust system with the catalytic converter a well known issue along with the muffler. A damaged catcon may rattle like marbles, can be heard by banging the cat by hand. Catcons do not rattle unless the cat guts fall apart internally. Disintegrating internally, cat guts tend to block exhaust flow creating engine constipation. Erratic engine running, sometimes blocked enough to prevent the engine from starting. The easiest way to test for a blocked exhaust system is to remove the upstream O2 sensor, the one on or between the exhaust manifold and catcon. This alternate exhaust hole allows the engine to breathe of the catcon is blocking exhaust flow.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote