SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default replacing serp belt

quick question - when putting the belt back on and the tensioner is released, the AC is the last pulley you pull it over, right?
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: replacing serp belt

It's been a while but I think I shoot for the alternator last. It is a small pulley so easier to sneak it on. But, any way you can get it on is good.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Finally got it with the AC. I was thinking smallest pulley, but AC seems to work once I win the fight with the crank....and all the other pulleys. Not. Fun.

Head back to my other thread for the exiting results of my pulley test...
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

There is one member here who claims he can walk up to the car and change that belt in 5 minutes or less. Not me!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
There is one member here who claims he can walk up to the car and change that belt in 5 minutes or less. Not me!
I feel like it's sheer luck.

here's my other wreck-of-a-thread http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267901
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-19-2021, 12:06 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I use the ac only because I can set the belt up on the ac clutch so once you release the tension you only need to slide it over with one hand. Three hands is best of course.
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

good point about the AC.
At first, I seem to have got it caught on something underneath the crank pulley but it all still lined up OK. Of course it was way shorter than I thought it should be, making it impossible to get over the AC. It's been a few years since I've done the belt, so I'm rather rusty.

I pulled it off a bit and tried to line it up again, at this point the belt and crank pulley decided they did not want to cooperate with me. I'm in there with my skinny arms and small hands - I don't know how you guys do it!

Persistence paid off; thank goodness this was all in the relative comfort of my driveway.

Then I'll do it all again when my new gatorback belt arrives...
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

When working over on that belt side of the engine, for tensioner, water pump, alternator, etc, I remove the RF wheel and plastic splash shield. You get lots of access that way. Of course, the last time I suggested this I was blasted for "wasting time" by the guy that can change a belt in 5 minutes...
Old 03-20-2021, 01:34 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

@billr
Pretty sure that's a jab at me because you don't know how to work on these. Even Richpin swaps one out in under 4min....from the top, with nothing else removed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdhCzA0NcDQ
Saves me the bother of trying to track down another S-Series to do my own video on it.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:46 AM   #10
billr
Master Member

Thanks for responding, it verifies that there actually is somebody that feels only the inept can't change that belt in 5 minutes. I was afraid some folks might have thought I made that up...

Yeah, with a whole bunch of practice many things are possible, like making tigers appear "out of nowhere" or have the Statue of Liberty disappear. For those of us doing a specific belt-type every 20 years or so, that 5 minutes is not realistic, no matter what skill/experience/tools you have available.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Zeebins
Zeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud of

1997 SL2

The only way I ever have success getting the belt in is by holding the tensioner through the wheel well and slipping the belt over either the crank or water pump last. I can never seem to get everything to stay in place when attempting from the top. It would probably help if I had a wrench longer than 12 inches that could reach the tensioner from the top, but I'm too cheap to buy the right tool when this one works fine with some effort, lol. Just means I'll never be changing a belt on the side of the road.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:08 AM   #12
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I must be the only one that slides it over the smooth idler pulley lol.

Just did it today (ac compressor replacement). I put a 14mm closed end wrench on the tensioner pulley, lock a 15mm wrench onto the end of that one, and get just enough swing out of it to take the tension off the belt for removal and installation, all through the top side. Takes 30 seconds...
98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:04 AM   #13
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post

Just did it today (ac compressor replacement). I put a 14mm closed end wrench on the tensioner pulley, lock a 15mm wrench onto the end of that one, and get just enough swing out of it to take the tension off the belt for removal and installation, all through the top side. Takes 30 seconds...
Same here, slip and slide over the pulley...
Nothing like the modern cheater.....interlocking combo box wrenches
Re-Animated: 2015-08-18, 220,497 + 21,000 Miles
1996 SC2 DOHC, Manual, 220k, 36mpg Hwy
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
The only way I ever have success getting the belt in is by holding the tensioner through the wheel well and slipping the belt over either the crank or water pump last. I can never seem to get everything to stay in place when attempting from the top. It would probably help if I had a wrench longer than 12 inches that could reach the tensioner from the top, but I'm too cheap to buy the right tool when this one works fine with some effort, lol. Just means I'll never be changing a belt on the side of the road.
I'm pretty cheap, too, but I went ahead and bought the actual belt tool (long and slim) after messing around my halfassed cheater wrench, mostly because I did want to be able to do this as easily as possible in a roadside scenario.
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 03-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

I ended up making a tool out of a 14mm ratcheting wrench and a piece of 3/16" steel stock. Drilled holes on either side of the wrench, and both ends, then screwed in flat head screws to taper down and hold the wrench in place. Electrical tape to cover the screws and make it look presentable. I like this because I can ratchet the lever into the best position possible to make the best swing to move the tensioner.

I made this a couple of years ago when I was testing to see if my engine noise was timing chain or serpentine belt area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210321_172643.jpg (76.4 KB, 14 views)
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:

I think I've done it that way, but seem to have done it a different way every time I had to take it off.

I often had the wheel and liner off for the other parts of the repair, and from there it is easy no matter which way you do it. Well, unless you do one of the upper pulleys last.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

What compressor did you buy?

I have a variety of serp belt tools but in the end nothing is as fast as removing the splash shield and just using a wrench on the tensioner bolt while reaching up and sliding the belt over. Over the years I've tried trick to avoid pulling the wheel but it always took more time.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:25 PM   #18
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
What compressor did you buy?

I have a variety of serp belt tools but in the end nothing is as fast as removing the splash shield and just using a wrench on the tensioner bolt while reaching up and sliding the belt over. Over the years I've tried trick to avoid pulling the wheel but it always took more time.

-Robert
A used one from the junk yard from a car that only had 50k miles on it Original DCV-11G unit. Super clean compressor. Works great!

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:07 AM   #19
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Regarding A/C replacement....

Nothing but Jealous !!!

You should document on the forum the steps (and pix) you did.

With FDryer's help, I did my 1996 SC2 about 14 years ago (2007).
Now, I need to do it again.....oy !

It's friggin' hot in Texas
Re-Animated: 2015-08-18, 220,497 + 21,000 Miles
1996 SC2 DOHC, Manual, 220k, 36mpg Hwy
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenpeters View Post
Regarding A/C replacement....
Might want to take a quick read about replacing a thermal fuse in the compressor (unless you know from symptoms that it's definitely not the fuse)

https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=172866

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=6589

$8 in parts and a few hours one evening.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote