SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #21
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
I don't know how, but you really need to "measure" the crankcase pressure to determine if you really can stop oil from leaking! New gaskets will not prevent oil leaks from returning in a few months if the crankcase pressure is excessive due to massive blow by.

The Oil Separator PCV Reed Valve is the key. Most all reed valve(s) on the port of the Oil Separator's port is baked and/or gone. This tiny flap must be "flappable" (technical term LOL) to vent the crankcase pressure appropriately. Old engines tend to develop a lot of crankcase pressure, i.e. blow by, which will blow out gaskets even blow out new gaskets. The Reed allow the pressure to escape while keeping the hoses from plugging up for awhile. With an open Reed port, the hoses will quickly pull up with gunk and then the gaskets become the vent for crank case pressure.

The CTS Caddy engine (I think it's the CTS) is the same as ours, but the top end is a different design. They incorporate an actual PCV device into the top housing which also plugs up. The connected Oil Separator PCV module is identical to ours. Which leads me to believe... why can't we add an real PCV to our system? Ideally, a PCV could be added (some how some way) on the large hose between the Oil Separator Module and the pass over plastic bridge. Providing there is room to install it.

I MUST remind you to only do one thing at a time. If you monkey with too many repairs at once... you will get entangled in a never ending oh fuk diagnostic H-E-L-L! Besides, if you start the project in March and finish it September, I don't know about you, But I would NOT know how to reassemble everything. I used plastic bags for every major component's bolts and I labeled them with what size, where they went and what tool is needed to install them and how tight(etc). Had I not done this I would have never gotten it back together (multiple times).
None of my 3.0's show any sign of oil leakage.
One has 199K on it.
I believe you could modify a oil fill cap and fit it with a low pressure gauge to check for crankcase pressure,
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKastning View Post
...Regarding the Timing Belt and anything I may encounter working my way to to the Valve Cover Gaskets; Factory Service Manual calls them "Intake Manifold Gaskets"; very glad to know they are the same...
Are you saying that valve cover gaskets are actually referred to as intake manifold gaskets in the FSM?

Quote:
(I also did extra reading since we talked and the Factory Service Manual says that Valve Stems are needed for complete oil leak stops [and probably due to the fact every gasket in-between gets replaced, like you also mentioned for the target end gasket; everything must be re-assembled and gaskets replaced.
Did you mean to say valve stem seals?
348K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #23
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
What would you use " Vise Grips " for ???
lbraner,

I don't quite know; I was a bit confused reading some responses and wasn't sure what I could be up against; going beyond the timing belt (which doesn't seem to be needed) IF the picture I post from the Factory Service Manual are the Valve Cover Gaskets that RJ is talking about.

Best Regards,

~ TruthSword
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #24
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Are you saying that valve cover gaskets are actually referred to as intake manifold gaskets in the FSM?

Did you mean to say valve stem seals?
pierrot,

The Factory Service Manual is calling what RJ "could" be talking about as "Valve Cover Gaskets" as "Intake Manifold Gaskets".

I am hoping that IS what he is talking about; because it would mean I wouldn't have to rip down to the Valve Stem Seals* as the Factory Service Manual suggests to do upon oil leakage.

Best Regards,

Brandon Kastning
WE THE PEOPLE ONLINE
wethepeopleonline.com
U.S. Const. Art. VI., Clause 2, 3 (September 17, 1787).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valvecovergaskets_20210306_124621.jpg (197.3 KB, 10 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #25
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
None of my 3.0's show any sign of oil leakage.
One has 199K on it.
I believe you could modify a oil fill cap and fit it with a low pressure gauge to check for crankcase pressure,
lbraner,

How is your latest 05 L300? It was an 05 that you acquired for a reasonable investment cost, right? Low mileage if I remember correctly.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #26
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
I don't know how, but you really need to "measure" the crankcase pressure to determine if you really can stop oil from leaking! New gaskets will not prevent oil leaks from returning in a few months if the crankcase pressure is excessive due to massive blow by.

The Oil Separator PCV Reed Valve is the key. Most all reed valve(s) on the port of the Oil Separator's port is baked and/or gone. This tiny flap must be "flappable" (technical term LOL) to vent the crankcase pressure appropriately. Old engines tend to develop a lot of crankcase pressure, i.e. blow by, which will blow out gaskets even blow out new gaskets. The Reed allow the pressure to escape while keeping the hoses from plugging up for awhile. With an open Reed port, the hoses will quickly pull up with gunk and then the gaskets become the vent for crank case pressure.

The CTS Caddy engine (I think it's the CTS) is the same as ours, but the top end is a different design. They incorporate an actual PCV device into the top housing which also plugs up. The connected Oil Separator PCV module is identical to ours. Which leads me to believe... why can't we add an real PCV to our system? Ideally, a PCV could be added (some how some way) on the large hose between the Oil Separator Module and the pass over plastic bridge. Providing there is room to install it.

I MUST remind you to only do one thing at a time. If you monkey with too many repairs at once... you will get entangled in a never ending oh fuk diagnostic H-E-L-L! Besides, if you start the project in March and finish it September, I don't know about you, But I would NOT know how to reassemble everything. I used plastic bags for every major component's bolts and I labeled them with what size, where they went and what tool is needed to install them and how tight(etc). Had I not done this I would have never gotten it back together (multiple times).
If one is to measure crankcase pressure.
What does anyone think ideal crankcase pressure would be ?
Neutral ? Negative pressure (vacuum) if so how much ?
Probably not positive pressure ?
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #27
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
lbraner,

I don't quite know; I was a bit confused reading some responses and wasn't sure what I could be up against; going beyond the timing belt (which doesn't seem to be needed) IF the picture I post from the Factory Service Manual are the Valve Cover Gaskets that RJ is talking about.

Best Regards,

~ TruthSword
In my opinion " vise grips" are one of those last resort tools along with the BFH. They have their uses, in fact saved my as* a few times, but last resort.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #28
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
In my opinion " vise grips" are one of those last resort tools along with the BFH. They have their uses, in fact saved my as* a few times, but last resort.
lbraner,

Thank you for that; I do not know what a BFH is. It would be nice once it's officially a family car to have those in my tool box.

Can you identify this gasket on the picture attachment by chance? Have you heard of those described as "Valve Cover Gaskets" before?
Old 03-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #29
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

lbraner,

Scratch that last question sir.

I believe I finally understand! And the attached photo; the rear camshaft cover has been removed and that's what's under it? Those red seals are the "Valve Cover Gaskets"?

I think I understand now. And I can see in this snap shot that the timing belt and drive belt are still in place during this DIY gasket replacement(s).

Best Regards,

~ TruthSword
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_Screenshot from 2021-03-06 17-19-51.jpg (57.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 11:18 PM   #30
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Just an FYI,
BFH is a Big Fu**ing Hammer
A tool of last resort
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
Old 03-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #31
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Just an FYI,
BFH is a Big Fu**ing Hammer
A tool of last resort
lrbraner,

10-4; Thanks for that

Old 03-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #32
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OMFG

The Valve Covers are a common term for the upper end "covers" that cover and seal the top of the engine above each bank of valves. They are a common place for oil to leak from. See photo below. The first photo shows both Valve Covers removed from the engine and you are looking at the inside of the covers. The second is the engine where they came from. In order to remove these parts to change the gasket, all intake parts must be removed.

There are three levels of intake manifolds. The upper level that routes the air into each bank/cylinder, injectors section and a riser.

The second photo show the engine with all intake parts removed. Notice the timing belt cover is install and not in the way to remove intake parts nor valve covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7197.JPG (137.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7196.JPG (103.7 KB, 8 views)
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
OMFG

The Valve Covers are a common term for the upper end "covers" that cover and seal the top of the engine above each bank of valves. They are a common place for oil to leak from. See photo below. The first photo shows both Valve Covers removed from the engine and you are looking at the inside of the covers. The second is the engine where they came from. In order to remove these parts to change the gasket, all intake parts must be removed.

There are three levels of intake manifolds. The upper level that routes the air into each bank/cylinder, injectors section and a riser.

The second photo show the engine with all intake parts removed. Notice the timing belt cover is install and not in the way to remove intake parts nor valve covers.
Rj 2000 LS2,

So you have to remove the camshaft covers; then remove the actual Camshafts to get to those seals that I pictured? Not *just* the ones on the covers, right?
Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #34
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
OMFG

Rj 2000 LS2,

Your second picture; did you remove the middle section (which appears to be the ignition "coil" pack?) and replace the seals that I circled in this post attachment?

And then all the little o ring seals also.

If so; that should settle it. I change this seal out and the ones re-building (including the o-ring ones) & clean it up; hope mine isn't all dirty like theirs on the video.

Thanks for talking to me on this thread RJ! Best of luck with your brake lines!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RED_from 2021-03-07 11-23-36.jpg (43.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 PM   #35
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cam Covers or Valve Covers... same thing and NO, I didn't replace any cam seals because they are not where you are looking in the photo. I already told you numerous times your spark plugs were covered in oil leaking from the Valve Cover and the bolt hole gaskets.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #36
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This thread is useless because the Title and the content are so different. Please stay on Topic!
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #37
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Heart Re: 2001 Saturn L300 (L81/3.0L V6) - Pre-Question for Head Gasket DIY Replacement

Quote:
This thread is useless because the Title and the content are so different. Please stay on Topic!
Rj 2000 LS2,

Once again; you prove to be a troll. You not only hi-jacked my thread; YOU are the one who changed the topic and tried to convince me with others NOT to change my head gaskets and then would not go into detail on what you were saying regarding 2 completely different topics:

a) PCV and pressure for gasket blows
b) Valve Cover Gaskets

You have officially earned my silence!

~ TruthSword

Best Regards,

Brandon Kastning
WE THE PEOPLE ONLINE
wethepeopleonline.com
U.S. Const. Art. VI, Clause 2, 3 (September 17, 1787).
Old 03-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #38
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Until you're able to determine cylinder compression for dry and wet tests, removing cylinder heads to replace head gaskets may be second guessing (putting the cart before the horse) and may present additional problems if unnecessary. Whether cylinder heads are removed or not, once either one or the other cam gear locks are removed, no one can say any of pair of camshafts will rotate out of their timing positions. Each cylinder head has twelve(12) valves with twelve(12) valve springs in various positions of tension. The cam gear lock prevents both camshafts from rotating against the valve springs taking any opportunity to rotate a camshaft out of timing. Once a cam gear lock is removed for replacing a cam gear and/or camshaft seal, you automatically assume re-timing it/them. As an aid, there should be cast flats on each camshaft to place a wrench on it to rotate each camshaft back to its timed position to insert a cam gear lock. Mechanical engine timing is completely separate from electronics. Mechanical issues have their own problems if unfamiliar with engine mechanics.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #39
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Until you're able to determine cylinder compression for dry and wet tests, removing cylinder heads to replace head gaskets may be second guessing (putting the cart before the horse) and may present additional problems if unnecessary. Whether cylinder heads are removed or not, once either one or the other cam gear locks are removed, no one can say any of pair of camshafts will rotate out of their timing positions. Each cylinder head has twelve(12) valves with twelve(12) valve springs in various positions of tension. The cam gear lock prevents both camshafts from rotating against the valve springs taking any opportunity to rotate a camshaft out of timing. Once a cam gear lock is removed for replacing a cam gear and/or camshaft seal, you automatically assume re-timing it/them. As an aid, there should be cast flats on each camshaft to place a wrench on it to rotate each camshaft back to its timed position to insert a cam gear lock. Mechanical engine timing is completely separate from electronics. Mechanical issues have their own problems if unfamiliar with engine mechanics.
fdryer,

Regarding what you said:

Quote:
As an aid, there should be cast flats on each camshaft to place a wrench on it to rotate each camshaft back to its timed position to insert a cam gear lock.
Could you explain and / or link to me what a cast flat is; what type of wrench should I be using and it's size? I do 100% plan on changing out the seals and removing all 4 camshaft sprockets. Any advice will be noted and taken to heart in my DIY attempt.

Best Regards,

Brandon Kastning
Old 03-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #40
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine your service manuals relative to camshaft timing, cam gear replacement, etc. Somewhere in those chapters should be drawings for each camshaft and the cast flats to place either an open end or adjustable wrench to manually turn each camshaft when necessary. With valve springs in various positions of compression, a camshaft can't be rotated by hand so flats to allow fitting a wrench allows easy camshaft rotation. My guess is a worse case scenario of a camshaft turning maybe 90 degrees out of time (or more) when a cam lock is removed. If a cylinder head is on the engine, this may result in a valve hitting a piston. I've never performed this type of work and only guessing but if I did then I'd satisfy my curiosity of how much each camshaft would rotate if a cam lock was removed. And to ensure little to no rotation, I'd probably make a temporary setup to place a wrench on each camshaft and lock it in place before removing a cam lock. This would minimize camshaft rotation to less than a few degrees, enough to prevent a valve from hitting a piston and to see how much I can move the wrench before valve springs rotate a camshaft. With a cylinder head removed, camshafts can rotate without fear of hitting piston tops but you'd have to know how to reset timing using wrenches and cam lock. It's more difficult to explain than to perform the actual procedure but understanding mechanical concepts along with service manual procedures and knowing what's supposed to take place as well as anticipating anything going wrong and able to correct simple errors goes a long way to being a diyer as capable as a well trained mechanic. With 12 valve springs per cylinder head fighting each other, a camshaft can rotate in either direction. Nothing in manuals state camshafts remain in place if a cam lock is removed so having flats on each camshaft allows anyone to rotate it into correct timing position or if valves are removed for valve seat machining, valve replacement, valve seal replacement, etc. To remove a valve means rotating a camshaft to have all four valves of one cylinder in closed position for the least amount of spring tension before a spring compressor is used to compress each spring to remove the valve spring locks. You'd have to review repair procedures when valves, springs and advanced repairs are needed. If I see any discrepancies between this reply and service manuals, I'll update with correct info otherwise my reply is as correct as my recollection of mechanical principals relate to overhead camshafts.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote