SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
saturn20
saturn20 is on a distinguished road

Default does this make any sense

Ok so I have the vibration problem in the wheel,peadals,seat - something is usually noticeable and then really is bad on the highway 45/50mph and up, but lately CT had been getting some of that cold Canadian air and when the temp drop under 20 degrees the vibration basically disapears?? and I can't figure out what the cold would affect enough to cause it to go away.

Once spring rolls around I'm gonna change my strut mounts - didn't do that when I changed the struts. And then the sway bar end links and then to the drive shaft removal, oh and I am going to see if I can replace the transmission fluid and filter - but I didn't see how the filter will come out when I was under the vehicle last time.
saturn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: does this make any sense

Would be useful to post year, engine, transmission, AWD, FWD or whatever.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Would be useful to post year, engine, transmission, AWD, FWD or whatever.
Disregard - if you have RL I can figure out engine and trans, and you mentioned drive-shaft so its probably AWD.

So, if you drive same speeds when weather is cold the vibes aren't there?

Vibration in seat sounds like an AWD prop-shaft center support bearing but why would it be temp sensitive?

Same with front axles - a loose CVJ should vibrate all the time - unless the grease thickens to dampen.

Are the tires and tire pressures all good? Have any clumps of snow, ice or mud in the wheels?

BTW ... I've only read of one or two hardy souls changing one of the transmission filters. It appears to be a major task and might not be worth time and effort.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
saturn20

same speeds and always do best to maintain proper tire pressure, and I just replaced both front axels and hubs this past summer and that changed nothing, the same dissapearance of the vibration happened last winter with the low temps. and no snow or mud - it's finally gonna snow a little tonight but I know that's not the issue - and I've dealt with that in the past, also i've put on new rims and tires - raod forced balancing and then back to stock rims after finding that was not the problem. oh and this a 2007 3.5l awd
Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn20 View Post
same speeds and always do best to maintain proper tire pressure, and I just replaced both front axels and hubs this past summer and that changed nothing, the same dissapearance of the vibration happened last winter with the low temps. and no snow or mud - it's finally gonna snow a little tonight but I know that's not the issue - and I've dealt with that in the past, also i've put on new rims and tires - raod forced balancing and then back to stock rims after finding that was not the problem. oh and this a 2007 3.5l awd
I've attached service manual extract for 2007 Vue AWD vibration - might be worthwhile to look over (if you've not seen).

Repost if you'd like to see any of items printed in blue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07 Vue - AWD Vibration.pdf (20.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
saturn20

I definitely take a more indepth look when I get home - thanks, when I was deiving into work today this is what I noticed - the temp had gone up to about 28 degrees - and I'm thinking the possibility of two seperate issues because I have vibration in the wheel and in the seats - and I seems like sometimes one might be there and the other not - but I am wondering about the rack and pinion - if there have been any issues identified with the unit that seems to be a common problem? the wheel has vibration but also seems to move back and fourth like a pendulum. And then the vibration that comes through the seat varies in strength and seems to be connected to the torque - I was driving at 75mph and slowly increased to 80mph letting the rpm get to 2200, and the vibration increased as i slowly increased speed - let off the gas and though the vibration is still there it seems to reduce( and also remains if I shift to neautral). I've had my compute reprogramed for the tourque converter recall - but I have seen alot over discussion around this issue - I haven't changed the fluid at all - do you have extracts on how to change the trans filter/fluid and torque converter fluid? the Haynes manual makes the trans filter seem far to easy - they make it seem like older cars where you simply undo some bolts and drop the pan - but when I was under the car last I couldn't locate the pan correctly and it seemed like it was buried or in a tight spot.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Darn ... sounds like many things. Check the prop-shaft support bearing when you get a chance - need to get under and check the rubber enclosing the bearing - if torn and cracks could cause noises and vibration.

No simple way to change trans filter but only need to be concerned with fluid.

I'll put a few things together and post.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

See post # 4 of this thread for ATF change procedures:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133422

I use ATF-Z1 or ATF-DW1 fluid or a mix of both in the four family Vues.

The AWD Vue requires just over four quarts and FWD is 4.5.

Don't worry about the filters (there are two - I consider either as inaccessible for mere mortals).
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
saturn20

well I guess I bouth a filter for no reason then - I bought tranny fluid from advanced auto - their brand - the matched it up to the ATF-Z1 and said it would work.