SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
joeperil
joeperil is on a distinguished road

Default License plate lights

Just thought I'd share this one and see if anyone else had the similar experience?

A couple weeks ago I was pulled over by a cop for not having the license plate lights on. The next day I put new bulbs in each holder (there are two on my '96 SL) and figured that would be the end of it. Well...nope...got pulled over again by a different cop. Same problem.

Checking it out the following day and it appeared that the wiring broke off from a light blue plastic connection module on the left side of the trunk. The wires snapped off after years of flexing slightly when opening and closing the trunk.

After wasting some time examining the module, it did not look like it was going to be easy to reconnect the wires to the internal pin and socket connectors inside it. I even cut an access port into the thing with a Dremel tool so that I could connect the wires to it internally, which would have worked, but then my soldering pen didn't have the heat to make a good solder joint. So I ended up just cutting the module out and wiring everything up directly. One interesting thing was that both plate lights were on separate circuits once you get past the module on the trunk end of things, so that you can, in theory, control either of them independently. I did not understand the need for that, so I wired them both up together.
joeperil is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: License plate lights

Maybe the theory is that at least one will be on at all times. But you proved that wrong. So I dunno.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Flash light and Duct tape boom baby I'm a freakin god. Nah, you might wanna watch it with the dremel tool you dont want to accidently nic the wires. Take off the rear bumper and push the housings back through the holes they are locked in to and then connect it.
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
1996SaturnSL2
1996SaturnSL2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeperil View Post
Just thought I'd share this one and see if anyone else had the similar experience?

A couple weeks ago I was pulled over by a cop for not having the license plate lights on. The next day I put new bulbs in each holder (there are two on my '96 SL) and figured that would be the end of it. Well...nope...got pulled over again by a different cop. Same problem.

Checking it out the following day and it appeared that the wiring broke off from a light blue plastic connection module on the left side of the trunk. The wires snapped off after years of flexing slightly when opening and closing the trunk.

After wasting some time examining the module, it did not look like it was going to be easy to reconnect the wires to the internal pin and socket connectors inside it. I even cut an access port into the thing with a Dremel tool so that I could connect the wires to it internally, which would have worked, but then my soldering pen didn't have the heat to make a good solder joint. So I ended up just cutting the module out and wiring everything up directly. One interesting thing was that both plate lights were on separate circuits once you get past the module on the trunk end of things, so that you can, in theory, control either of them independently. I did not understand the need for that, so I wired them both up together.
I have the same problem with my rear license plate lights. The left driver side license plate light does not work, after changing bulbs and checking for voltage and not finding any I found that one of the wires had come out of the blue mate and lock type connector after many years of flexing from the trunk going up and down. Need to fix this quick, I was pulled over for one license plate light but let go.
1996SaturnSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote