SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > Classifieds

Old 04-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
OneBadBurb
OneBadBurb is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default FS: 2001 Saturn SL, Tons of New Parts

Up for sale is my 2001 Saturn SL in Northern Colorado. Some history on this car:

* I bought the car in 2013 with roughly 100k on the clock, and drove it 60k miles until 2017. The car has spent its entire life in Arizona and Colorado.
* I brought the car into my garage with the intention of fixing a number of things it needed around 2017, and have spent the last three years sitting in my garage as I slowly worked on it.
* After getting a little burned out on the car, I finally rolled it out of my garage in February of this year.

What work has been done on this car:
* I brought the car in initially after noticing it was eating pads and rotors way too quickly. I found out that all four wheel bearings were in bad shape (bad runout), and ended up replacing all four wheel bearings with quality Timken bearings, and pretty much all of the brake equipment at each wheel (rebuilt calipers, new EBC pads and rotors, new drums, wheel cylinders etc.) Goodridge SS hoses are now installed, as well.
* The car needed a new clutch (was starting to slip when I brought it in). The car has a new LuK clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, and new LuK third-gen hydros.
* The car got a new Fel-pro valve cover gasket (I suspect oil leaking off that gasket is what killed the clutch).
* The TAMs have been cleaned up, repainted and have had polyurethane inserts put in.
* I put a DOHC front stabilizer bar in, with poly subframe mounts.
* I repainted and cleaned up the subframe while it was out.
* The car has 4 brand new Moog McPherson struts.
* I also put two brand new NOS control arms in
* The car has a brand new radio, and all four speakers have been replaced.
* The car has a nice sounding Magnaflow muffler on it.
* The car has a new rear oxygen sensor (I think I left the old one on the floor too long, and my mishandling it killed the old one).
* New coils, plugs, wires, etc.
* I installed got one of the compatible instrument clusters out of some mid-2000's Pontiac SUV. I like the look of it much better than the stock one, but still have the stock cluster as well, which would come with the car.
* In as many places as was humanly possible, new quality, correctly graded hardware from Fastenal was used.
* The car has an ebay strut tower brace.
* Most of the normal things that go wrong on Saturns (i.e. the bad stock temp sensor, failed shift linkage, etc.) have already been addressed.

What this car still needs:
* When I drove it around after getting it out finally, the car was a little squirrelly, but not too bad. I think the toe on the front wheels is off a little bit, and the car likely just needs an alignment.
* Like many of the Saturns of this vintage, the timing chain gasket is leaking a little oil. It will probably need to be replaced soon (and honestly the car probably could use a new timing set).
* The car for whatever reason is now running significant negative fuel trims, and the last time I started it, has some visible clouds coming off the exhaust. I strongly think it's just got an injector (or two) stuck, or maybe the ignition is acting funny, and the car still idles OK
* The car has had a a little bit of a top end tick ever since I've owned it. It's really only present under high load or after having been cold started while sitting for a while. I strongly suspect it's just a lifter ticking, but wonder also if it's not the timing chain.
* The interior is a little rough. It needs a new headliner, and the front seats probably should be recovered, or replaced with the nicer SL2 seats.

Other things to note:
* The car is rust free, with the exception of a small spot on the front subframe I cleaned up. This car has never left the southwest, and it shows.
* The manual transmission shifts pretty well. I have made sure to not ever put Dex6 in this transmission, and have always run the Allison automatic Dex3 stuff like Torque-Drive such as to not wreck the seals.
* I've got an extra MP3 (DOHC) manual transmission that I had considered putting in the car that I'd let go with the car.
* I've also got an extra SOHC head that can go with the car. I was planning on pulling all of the valve train from it, and then putting it off the engine in the part, and picking the best parts to put back into the car (after cleaning)
in hopes that I could get rid of the top end ticking.
* Most of the body and trim is otherwise in good shape considering the age of the car.
* All of the electrical stuff is in good shape.
* The car has decent aftermarket wheels on it. I don't have the original 14" steel wheels, though I doubt anyone would want those anyways.

I'm honestly kind of tired of looking at this car, and need to cut down on the cars I own. I'd much rather this car end up in the hands of someone who wanted a Saturn project to work on or needed parts to keep their own car on the road than just letting it go through Copart. I'm happy to answer questions or provide more photos. The car runs enough to roll onto a trailer, but I wouldn't drive it out of here and it hasn't been registered since 2018. Though I don't think it would be too hard to get it back to road-worthiness, you'd need to come with a trailer to pick it up. The car has a clean Colorado title, and has never been in accident. I will not part this car out, it has to leave here whole.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/PE67IxJ

I would like $1000, but am open to offers.
OneBadBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
OneBadBurb
OneBadBurb is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Re: FS: 2001 Saturn SL, Tons of New Parts

Price reduced: $750 OBO.
OneBadBurb is offline   Reply With Quote