SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Valikir433
Valikir433 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Radio not outputting sound

I drive a 2008 Astra and have just recently came across the problem of my radio not outputting sound. I say outputting sound because the display still is lit and I can switch between the CD and the radio just fine and it displays radio station information and CD track number like usual. The board computer functions (avg. fuel consumption, avg. speed, etc.) work fine I just can't hear anything no matter what the input source is for the radio. My first thought was maybe a fuse so I went and pulled the fuse for the radio and it was fine so I replaced it and when I started up the car the radio was working again but this only lasted for about 2 days. Has anyone else had a similar problem or even a way I can troubleshoot this further? I thought after it did a reset (like what happened when I pulled the fuse) that it might be okay for quite a while but I'd rather not have to pull the fuse every couple of days.
Thanks in advance
Valikir433 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Radio not outputting sound

This may be an intermittent problem. Hopefully its just that and not a serious issue. By intermittent, I mean one possibility if your radio uses an aux port for inputting signals from an mp3 player. A Nissan Sentra had this same problem when sounds died. A factory radio without a CD or other options. The display was fine and tuning stations worked but zero sounds. Then a few months later sounds returned. I don't have a radio with an aux port but my guess is this Sentra and person uses the aux port to play recorded mp3 music from a portable device. Like headphone ports, a set of electrical contacts disconnect signals. When these contacts oxidize and cannot make contact, signals are lost. These signals are the inputs to the amp. When the port connections don't reconnect after a plug it's removed, sounds are lost as if the radio amp failed. The aux contacts aren't reconnecting. The simplest solution is to plug in the mp3 player or exercise the aux port by connecting and disconnecting a plug several times to see if sounds returns. Plugging in an mp3 player with sounds returning verifies the aux port is the problem.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

No aux port in any factory Astra radio (sadly).
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I had problems early on with the volume knob not working right, and losing sound intermittently. I was able to adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls (which you don't have if you have the XE version). That's the only thing I can think of.

I'd offer you my OEM radio, since I replaced mine with an aftermarket Eonon, but the cost to install it back in the car, get a dealer to use a tech 2 "divorce it" from the screen, etc, would make it not worth the time and money (stupid anti-theft features).

If you plan on keeping the car and can find one cheap, the Parrot MKi9200 is a nice upgrade (you need a wiring harness too). I hardly use my radio anymore and just play everything over my phone through the Parrot system.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The wiring that runs down the drivers side sill panel and in the doors is usually the problem for this. It is a design flaw, there is not enough slack and every time you open the rear drivers side door if itís too wide you can fray and damage the wires going into the door inside the gromet there.

Take them out and take a look. Chances are you have damaged wires.

Quick and easy repair and itís a known issue in this car.

That would be the first place I would look. Good luck!
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valikir433 View Post
I drive a 2008 Astra and have just recently came across the problem of my radio not outputting sound. I say outputting sound because the display still is lit and I can switch between the CD and the radio just fine and it displays radio station information and CD track number like usual. The board computer functions (avg. fuel consumption, avg. speed, etc.) work fine I just can't hear anything no matter what the input source is for the radio. My first thought was maybe a fuse so I went and pulled the fuse for the radio and it was fine so I replaced it and when I started up the car the radio was working again but this only lasted for about 2 days. Has anyone else had a similar problem or even a way I can troubleshoot this further? I thought after it did a reset (like what happened when I pulled the fuse) that it might be okay for quite a while but I'd rather not have to pull the fuse every couple of days.
Thanks in advance
I have had the same problem in my XE. The radio sound usually comes back on after a couple of days or weeks. It is not worth the trouble to track down the problem, for me anyways, with intermittent things such as these.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
No aux port in any factory Astra radio (sadly).
Not completely accurate. The one in mine was sourced from the UK and it does have the factory aux port.

For those who want to keep the stock look and feel it's an option.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote