saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1
Default SOHC Intake Manifold Removal *Quick help needed!*

Hoping for a quick response so I can get this mess back together.
2001 SL-1 SOHC Automatic

Looking for direction on REMOVING the Intake Manifold. Obviously there are lots of good write ups and videos on replacing the gasket, but I can find nothing on actually taking the manifold out of the car. Gasket failed, and I would really like to get the manifold out to give it and the head a more proper cleaning before installing the new one.

I am assuming I need to try to shift the engine forward a little. I currently have the upper frowny mount off, but that is only giving me a little up and down movement. Will removing the dog bones give me enough front to back to clear the firewall?

Biggest question is, am I going to get enough clearance just removing the mounts? I really do not want to separate the engine and trans. Already deeper into this than I wanted to be, and I need the car back together today.

As always ... thanks in advance
1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"
1998 SL2 FrankenSaturn's Body Donor
2004 Vue "What was I thinking?"
2001 SL1 100k Mile Baby Blue Beauty
1999 SL2 Thank You Tiger!
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: SOHC Intake Manifold Removal *Quick help needed!*

You'll get some, not much, rocking room with the upper mount and dog bones removed, the trans mount will block a lot of it if you don't remove the rear most bolt and loosen the forward bolt a bit.

Going to be a ton of work, the fuel line has to be disconnected as well as all the connectors going to the IM.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You'll get some, not much, rocking room with the upper mount and dog bones removed, the trans mount will block a lot of it if you don't remove the rear most bolt and loosen the forward bolt a bit.

Going to be a ton of work, the fuel line has to be disconnected as well as all the connectors going to the IM.
I was afraid of that. Biggest problem I have is, I have painted myself into a corner. Car is on jack stands, with my jack supporting the engine from the bottom, and my hoist hooked up on top. Basically, can't get under the car at this point without moving everything.

Gonna try pulling the bones and see. Already have everything other than the main coolant hose disconnected, and the intake is already slid back. I just can get my hands in there to clean the crud off to put the new gasket on.
1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"
Old 05-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I gotta ask, for my own curiosity/education:

How is the gen3 SOHC that much different from my gen1 DOHCs? On mine, the intake comes out easily without moving the engine at all. The only nuisance is the brace from the intake to the back of the block.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I gotta ask, for my own curiosity/education:

How is the gen3 SOHC that much different from my gen1 DOHCs? On mine, the intake comes out easily without moving the engine at all. The only nuisance is the brace from the intake to the back of the block.
I don't know what they were thinking. I would be interested to see what the FSM shows for the procedure. There is literally no way to properly prep the surface to replace the gasket. I don't know if they intended for the studs to be removed (something I am not about to attempt on 20 year old studs), or for the cradle to be dropped.

It just physically will not clear the firewall to come out. If I had to guess, I would say if I can shift the engine forward an inch, it would make it.
1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"
Old 05-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Some people have taken the hood off of their cars to make it easier to replace the intake manifold gasket. I didn't do that when I replaced my intake manifold gasket, but if you choose to remove the hood, I believe all that it requires is the removal of some 10mm bolts.
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

There is also a 10mm bolt in the top right front passenger side of the car which is torqued to something like 55 ft-lbs which, when loosened, enables the engine to move forward. Wolfman advised against using the torque specification, but tightening by feel and, "not too much," is too imprecise.
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

SOLVED! (and bad news, but first the solution)

OK, so it actually turned out to be much easier than I was thinking. Rather than give a full write up, I'll just list the steps, since every individual step is already covered by richpin videos and numerous full guides.

Start with following your choice of guide or video on replacing the intake manifold gasket. Basically, remove power steering pump, disconnect fuel rail, disconnect electrical connections from EGR, TPS, and MAF. Remove throttle cable.

**Go ahead and disconnect the coolant hose on the driver side rear, and disconnect electrical connectors to the fuel injectors.

In a nutshell ... remove anything attached to the intake manifold.

Next, support the engine on a jack with a wood block, and remove the upper engine mount. Again, richpin has a full video on removing this mount, so just follow his instruction.

Then, you need to remove the firewall side bolt (small end) of the driver side dog-bone mount (below battery box). Follow richpin video on how to get to this mount).

Loosen the other bolt, but no need to remove it. Swing the mount out of the way, and the engine will now easily rotate forward giving you plenty of clearance to remove the intake.

All in all, I would say this maybe added an extra hour to the job, but it gives you a chance to both clean your intake manifold if you want, or at least properly clean and prep the gasket surfaces.

*** FYI, if you have not replaced your upper starter bolt with a stud, now is the time since it is easily accessible with the intake off.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone in the future.

And, now for the bad news. Problem was not the gasket, it is a cracked head.
1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"