SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1
Question best invesment on tuning a saturn

What are the best parts to buy if i want to start tuning my saturn? so far i have a 6" round magnaflow muffler and plan on an AEM cold air intake, but what else?
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: best invesment on tuning a saturn

The First Step for Improving Handling: TIRES
http://www.spswebpage.com/tech/index...rticleID=tires
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Psyco88
Psyco88 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1994 SC2

get the bomz intake if you got sri. also get a bored TB (u can do this yourself), lighter rims, weight reduction, depending on the year/modle of the car, dohc & 91-92 header, thats a start, im sure others will pipe up soon
SC2 94: RIP
SC2 02: Needs love
Mods: Radiator Hoses Exhaust Intake AEM WB02 Apexi Safc II Hood Strut, STB

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt
Psyco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Best investments.

Tires and N2O or turbo.

Going N/A can be fun, but it is not the best bang for the buck. Don't expect a Saturn to be fast, especially a SOHC, unless you do something drastic.
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

91-92 header won't do him any good. It's a single. Not a twin.
DON'T buy a short ram intake. Waste of money. You want the same thing for less? Go to the local parts store , get an APC (imitation K&N) air filter and an exhaust adapter to adapt the filter to the stock intake tube. There you go. Cheap short ram intake. The decide where to put your air intake temp sensor.
AM I to assume the 6" round muffler is a fart can?
Better tires do help a lot. Get good tires though. Not kumho or hankook. They are JUNK! They are cheap. And I mean cheap in all aspects of the word.
Boring the TB is a waste of time unless it is bored out with a larger throttle plate. Grinding down the bar that the throttle plate sits in will help though since it truely opens up the area where air goes in.
Non adjustable front strut tower brace.
Those are good inexpensive starts.
Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_saturn View Post
What are the best parts to buy if i want to start tuning my saturn? so far i have a 6" round magnaflow muffler and plan on an AEM cold air intake, but what else?
BEST ADVICE?
DON'T
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
WaNabe
WaNabe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
BEST ADVICE?
DON'T
i agree. no offense but save up your money and swap your engine for a DOHC 5speed. Besides, they don't make an AEM cold air intake for the SOHC.

As for a muffler, doesn't do anything for tuning (unless you're talking about the musical kind) cuz it only changes the sound. Intakes don't do much of anything without an easier way of getting that extra air you're pulling in out faster too. So, while you can do up the SOHC, it's not going to get you much. Good wheels, great tires, and good brakes. Those are a first step.

Is your car a 5spd or auto tranny? If it's an auto you're def SOL.

on the other hand, you can totally pimp your interior and sound system. Keep your exterior in good condition. Not that I should talk, but conservative is better than over-the-top. LIke that stupid wing that WAS on my car...gone.
1997 SC2
CAI/Magnflw/BigB TB/MSDCoils/NologyWires/Eibach/19"Axis/ToyoProxes4/Sh- Shift/Sparco/3rdGenCFHood&Lamps/SCROTH/SSBCBigBrakes/Shaved
Coming Soon:
Paint/Exhaust/Evo5Kit/Blue92header/Rebuild
WaNabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Tatusmi
Advanced Member
Tatusmi is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
Get good tires though. Not kumho or hankook. They are JUNK!
I beg to differ.

Also, don't waste your time modding an SOHC... the best performance upgrade you can do to that car is swap in a DOHC... or sell it.

- Tatusmi
Tatusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I see kumho and hankook tires wear poorly , wear prematurely and go out of round due to broken belts and poor quality all the time. Nothing korean should be allowed in the US. It's all junk.
STOP the single cam hating here.
They DO make a CAI for the single cam form 95 up I believe. WHen they went to multiport in 95 and then sequential injection in 96+. The intake sits in the same place as the it does on the twin. All the pipes will route the same.
The CAI on a single certainly can't hurt. I say you just save some money and do the cheap short ram like I have on all of my cars and my blazer. The stock intake tube is just fine to reuse. Want cheap airflow for exhaust? Get a cheap turbo muffler.
I noticed a difference in my sl1 with the muffler and air filter. The air box and filter are slightly restrictive and the stock pumpkin muffler is very restrictive.
Not all of us can afford to do a TCS and have the knowledge to do so. Lets be nice to the new DIY kind of people here. DOn't say TCS like a crop of parrots trained to say it all the time. You can get more power form a single cam. Just not as much a s a twin but who cares. Sawing off your old muffler and clamping a new one in place or installeg a short ram intake. Most people could do that. So lets be a little nicer and helpful to them please.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I see kumho and hankook tires wear poorly , wear prematurely and go out of round due to broken belts and poor quality all the time. Nothing korean should be allowed in the US. It's all junk.
STOP the single cam hating here.
They DO make a CAI for the single cam form 95 up I believe. WHen they went to multiport in 95 and then sequential injection in 96+. The intake sits in the same place as the it does on the twin. All the pipes will route the same.
The CAI on a single certainly can't hurt. I say you just save some money and do the cheap short ram like I have on all of my cars and my blazer. The stock intake tube is just fine to reuse. Want cheap airflow for exhaust? Get a cheap turbo muffler.
I noticed a difference in my sl1 with the muffler and air filter. The air box and filter are slightly restrictive and the stock pumpkin muffler is very restrictive.
Not all of us can afford to do a TCS and have the knowledge to do so. Lets be nice to the new DIY kind of people here. DOn't say TCS like a crop of parrots trained to say it all the time. You can get more power form a single cam. Just not as much a s a twin but who cares. Sawing off your old muffler and clamping a new one in place or installeg a short ram intake. Most people could do that. So lets be a little nicer and helpful to them please.
u get on people for bashing sohc, but u bash the entire country of south korea?

yes the sohc saturns from 95-02 use the same intakes as 91-99 dohc. the problem is that a sohc has half the valves of a dohc so while breathing mods do help, they dont help as much as they do on the already more powerfull dohc.

the fact remains that anything done to a sohc would be better served on a dohc and that anyone tries to mod a sohc eventually gives up and drops in a dohc. however u could also argue the point that the best mod for a dohc saturn would be a blue top sr20det (fwd sr20 in the jdm pulsar), or some other high output fwd engine. then u could go even farther and say the best mod is a ls7 and rwd conversion...

whats the best investment on tuning a saturn? imo, to get started, and not spend alot of $$$...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-00...QQcmdZViewItem
3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Actually, I've heard that the SOHC handles nitrous better than the DOHC. Not saying it's true as MY own DOHC handles nitrous quite well and constantly amazes me. I know I haven't been on here in a long time, but the previous record that car ran was 13.82, a couple years ago. Last season, we got her down to 13.67, in the 1/4 mile. Not only that, my recently aquired Satty, a 1997 SC2 (belonged to Jamin Cummings) is the 2003 OLOA class winner and it ran on nitrous. Anyway, I wouldn't "diss" the SOHC just yet. There are options, but Nitrous is the best bang for the buck, IMO.
~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner
MydnightMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #12
WaNabe
WaNabe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60 View Post
blue top sr20det (fwd sr20 in the jdm pulsar), or some other high output fwd engine. then u could go even farther and say the best mod is a ls7 and rwd conversion...
Can you put an sr20 into a saturn? i thought they were all rwd. anyway, I'm pretty sure the transmission in the sohc sticks out too far toward the front and ends up rubbing the downpipe on CAI, unless you custom make it to fit. the AEM rubs anyway.
1997 SC2
CAI/Magnflw/BigB TB/MSDCoils/NologyWires/Eibach/19"Axis/ToyoProxes4/Sh- Shift/Sparco/3rdGenCFHood&Lamps/SCROTH/SSBCBigBrakes/Shaved
Coming Soon:
Paint/Exhaust/Evo5Kit/Blue92header/Rebuild
WaNabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

the best thing to do at this point... leave what you have on the car now, do not get anything else, and save up for an engine swap. thats it right there. most of us have been there... where you are.
i myself had the sohc and i tried to make it move. i thought i was doing great till i put a dohc engine in. holly cow what a difference. all the bolt-on's could not equil the power from the motor swap.
BAM +24hp right there...
BAM another 1500RPM's to play with
BAM a faster car.
goet the dohc THEN get the goodies.
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I am not trying to bash south korea. I just see the crap they send over here is of poor quality. But it is cheap. SO you get what you pay for. CHeap in all aspects of the word. Bow if it wree expensive and junk then I would be ripping on korean stuff.
And why pollute a good car with a foreign engine? Thats a waste of a good car. If you want the sr20det then just get the whole car the engien cam in.
Now onto the strut tower brace you posted a link to Xup360. Thats awfully cheap. I heard those aluminum ones flex too much though. Is that true? I make mine out of steel and I can support the engine and trans off of it with no problem.
The single has potential. Just not as much as the twin. I can't argue that. Not all of us can do a TCS. So we try to get what we can out of what we have. My short ram and turbo muffler cost me less than $60 for everything and I noticed a difference. ALso grinding down the shaft around the throttle plate will help. ANd it's free if you do it yourself.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

mine is a SOHC and they do makecold air intakes for SOHC. My car is a 5spd. I heard that SOHC do handle NO2 as good as DOHC, i have BF goodrich tires...i'm due for another set in about 10,000 miles and i have aluminum rims so my wheels are already light. everyone here suggested alot of things, but i'm still confused, because everyone is differntiating from the other
2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
The First Step for Improving Handling: TIRES
http://www.spswebpage.com/tech/index...rticleID=tires
second step: learn how to drive better...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #17
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Just remember when everybody else says "twin cam swap". Ignore them until you are VERY sure you are going to keep the car for a long time. ANd feel confident enough to do so.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
SaturnR
SaturnR is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I have a 96 sl1 and i love it!! Now i cant say the people who advised a swap are wrong i just cant afford it...Till then i will keep modding my lil old (sohc). I just recently got hot shot headers! I am currently saving for an intricate performance module stage 3....Id say take advise from those who know alot about saturns but you dont necessarily have to do it. We all love saturns here its good to support sohc-dohc alike!
I wanna see what my lil sohc can do!
SaturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #19
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnR View Post
I just recently got hot shot headers! I am currently saving for an intricate performance module stage 3....Id say take advise from those who know alot about saturns but you dont necessarily have to do it.
So someone else doesn't rip on you for it, our cars use one header.

Like everyone said in your other post, the intricate performance modules are a scam. If you want to waste your money on it, at least do a dyno run before and after. Most likely this will just prove those are junk. But then when someone says they're gonna get one, we can show them the graph and hopefully they will change their mind.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #20
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Which model Kumho and Hankook tire? I've used Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 and V700 and Hankook R-S2 tires and haven't had any problems. No one's mentioned any problems with the Kumho V700 and Hankook R-S2 tires that I sold when I changed classes and got new wheels.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote