SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Luthin
Luthin is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Archive of this Forum

I got to thinking today, and as the saying goes, all good things shall come to pass.

I am still fairly young, and I intend to keep my Saturn on the road for as long as parts and gasoline are available for it. I figure by now just about every possible problem with a Saturn has already occurred, and been discussed on this site. A few months ago I used a post written by ShawnV from ~12 years ago to help replace my fuel pump.

Alas, 20 years from now, Saturnfans.com may not exist anymore. I would like to download the contents of this forum (specifically the S-Series related threads). Does anyone know how/if this can be accomplished? I don't care if it's a terabyte of data, although I suspect since most of it is just text it's probably not that large. I realize it would be a snapshot in time, but my interest is in the archive of historical problems and their solutions.
Luthin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Archive of this Forum

I' m waiting for the movie to come out....

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

Like this?...

6E617684-7B46-425B-A912-257A67DA2A95.jpeg

...except for Saturns

..and digital
1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

Last edited by dummo; 08-19-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Thought better
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Wayback Machine does this, though not often as it could for full site backups.

I use HTTrack for other sites but it's a tricky piece of software to use. Settings slightly wrong in one direction? Only get 1-2 layers deep and miss 3/4 of the site. Wrong in the other direction? Suddenly you're literally downloading the entire internet
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

I too would love to have an archive of this entire forum. For personal use only of course. In fact i would even pay for an useable searchable archive (hint hint).
- Cris Thomas
https://cristhomas.com/cars/
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Nothing a couple dot matric tractor feed printers and a couple years couldn't take care of!
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Nothing a couple dot matric tractor feed printers and a couple years couldn't take care of!
I remember when dot matrix printers were state of the art....

Damn...

I'm old!
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SL2
Old 08-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post

Damn...

I'm old!
Then again - I had to pass 18 wpm morse code to graduate USCG Radio School....

Old?

Fossilized
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SL2
Old 08-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:

Damn...

I'm old!
I had a color dot matrix printer. Cutting edge stuff!

We have a friend who wrote a couple books. He had to submit them in print. I forget the exacts, but he scheduled several days to print them, along with a calculation of paper and ribbons to keep the printer running.

Quote:
Then again - I had to pass 18 wpm morse code to graduate USCG Radio School....

Old?

Fossilized
I never had to do morse code, but some of my original communications training in the Marines involved teletype machines. Nothing like ticker tape to keep all the info flowing.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I had a color dot matrix printer. Cutting edge stuff!

We have a friend who wrote a couple books. He had to submit them in print. I forget the exacts, but he scheduled several days to print them, along with a calculation of paper and ribbons to keep the printer running.

I never had to do morse code, but some of my original communications training in the Marines involved teletype machines. Nothing like ticker tape to keep all the info flowing.

Yup.. We used the ASR-28 TTY for both secure and unsecure landline and radio TTY.comms. At one point I could actually read the perf tape by the chads - a handy skill if the ink tape died for the co- printing on the tape...

It blew my instructors mind when I got out and was taking introductory NC machining classes that used the ASR-28 to run programs...

Ahhh G code programming....
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SL2
Old 08-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1995 SC2

I've been saving posts that are important to me as PDFs, but I know it's only a matter of time before data gets lost. We've already lost the photo forum, and as a major example of this it's important to note that there were or still are tapes of the data from the Apollo 11 moon landing, and the tapes exist, but the knowledge and the way to retrieve the data is long gone since the hardware is kaput and anybody who wrote code or designed hardware for it is also long gone. There is a book called "The Age of Missing Information" that details some of this, I have not read it, but mention it for those who may be curious.

I wrote a few lines of BASIC on an Apple II in high school, played Oregon Trail via MEEC Timeshare, and wrote Basic 09 on an Okidata just after high school, so I know about what some of those older systems were like.

The pictures of my dad from WW2 were thrown into the garbage by my former sister in law, who subsequently divorced my brother for greener pastures. I will never understand the reasoning behind some woman throwing into the garbage important historical family memories, theoretically she is a narcissist, but those pictures are gone forever.
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 167K, rebuilt engine, Garage Queen. Still squeaks and rattles but goes like hell.
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #12
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Archive of this Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthin View Post
I got to thinking today, and as the saying goes, all good things shall come to pass.

I am still fairly young, and I intend to keep my Saturn on the road for as long as parts and gasoline are available for it. I figure by now just about every possible problem with a Saturn has already occurred, and been discussed on this site. A few months ago I used a post written by ShawnV from ~12 years ago to help replace my fuel pump.

Alas, 20 years from now, Saturnfans.com may not exist anymore. I would like to download the contents of this forum (specifically the S-Series related threads). Does anyone know how/if this can be accomplished? I don't care if it's a terabyte of data, although I suspect since most of it is just text it's probably not that large. I realize it would be a snapshot in time, but my interest is in the archive of historical problems and their solutions.
No worries, there aren't any plans to take down SaturnFans.com! This fall I'm hoping to have time to start adding new content again to the main page. The Photos section is offline while I work to update some of the code -- due to the company that wrote the software is no longer around -- but I'm committed to eventually getting the photos back online one way or another.

Stay tuned!

Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
Luthin
Luthin is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
No worries, there aren't any plans to take down SaturnFans.com! This fall I'm hoping to have time to start adding new content again to the main page. The Photos section is offline while I work to update some of the code -- due to the company that wrote the software is no longer around -- but I'm committed to eventually getting the photos back online one way or another.

Stay tuned!

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, that's reassuring to know you're still committed to maintaining the site. I, and I'm sure everyone else here, greatly appreciate your ongoing efforts at maintaining this historical archive. I'd be lost without it - the Haynes manual just doesn't cut it.

I initially forgot to subscribe to this thread, which explains the delay in my response. I'm now subscribed for immediate notifications. If the time comes where this site is scheduled to be decommissioned I hope someone will remember this thread and submit a post. I'm not worried about losing the ability to read the files in the future; PDFs and Word Docs are too ubiquitous these days and I'm confident I'll be able to open them somehow for the remainder of my lifetime.
Luthin is offline   Reply With Quote