SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
My1999Saturn
My1999Saturn is on a distinguished road

Default Removing an engine immobilizer from a 1999 SC2

I'm having trouble finding information regarding removing an engine immobilizer from my 1999 SC2. It's failing, so it's time for it to be removed.

When I purchased the car way back in 1999, the Saturn dealer installed the immobilizer. It uses an RF tag that's passed over the area below and right of the steering column. The tags themselves say "GM Accessories", so the immobilizer (presumably) is a GM product.

If anyone has wiring information for this, I'd appreciate getting it. I'm not concerned about doing the wiring myself, provided I know what connects to where. Presumably it's a matter of finding the original wires and reconnecting the matching colors, but I'm hoping to find a bit more information before moving ahead.

Thanks!
My1999Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Removing an engine immobilizer from a 1999 SC2

Can you take snapshots and post them? Beware of image size restrictions (without notice when using attachments feature). All cellphones and digital cameras create very large multiple megabyte image files - a result of demands for high res images rarely anyone displays on large screen tv displays. Image handlers like Windows Paint or similar Apple software can easily reduce file size to any amount, preferably less than a megabyte in jpeg, to attach in posts.

The factory uses the remote keyless entry (RKE) as a basic alarm system with horn and flashing lights between '96-'99 S-series. Pressing Lock on your remote simultaneously locks all doors and disables the starting circuit (via a relay) to prevent the starter from operating. Unlocking from the remote unlocks doors and enables the starting circuit relay, closing a set of contacts to allow the starting circuit to operate when starting the engine. Any dealer options are usually not factory options and customized by the dealer and local vehicle security shop. Disabling this aftermarket immobilizer may be easy or difficult depending on circuitry.

Taking snapshots of the dash area and in back of it to reveal wiring details may help in determining how easy or difficult to disable it.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
Default Re: Removing an engine immobilizer from a 1999 SC2

I worked for Firestone for years, and I was the electronics guy in my district.

A common thing to happen when people buy used cars is that the car has an alarm system installed by the previous owner.

Well, the $%$& dealer throws ALL the remotes in a box in the back room and doesn't include them with the car when they resell it. It's their way of getting you for a couple hundred bucks EXTRA, by making you buy remotes while telling you they didn't get them from the previous owner.

With the aftermarket stuff installed, you might not have any idea that a system is even installed. And you probably wont know until the battery goes dead and the aftermarket system reboots in the "alarm set" mode when you jump the battery or install a new battery. And if you haul it back to the dealer, they get another chance to hit for MORE money.

Simply put, the alarm is triggered and the car wont start until it times out and resets AGAIN.

Something that I saw quite often was a car towed in that was disabled by the aftermarket system. And the customer doesn't have a remote, and they want that system removed from the car.

Inevitably, the aftermarket system is wired into the wires going to the ignition switch. Often, the aftermarket system is just spliced to the wires to the ignition switch, but in the case of starter disable, there's a cut wire with a relay wired across the cut. Of course there may be wires running to door lock relays and dome and parking lights and horns and or a siren. But the one that keeps the car from starting is the cut wire with the relay across the break.

I even saw radio controlled ignition-disable circuits installed by by-here-pay-here dealers so they could disable your car if they didn't get their payment on time. Same deal: you pay the car off, and you're not even aware it exists until your battery dies and you jump or replace it, and THEN your car wont start.

I have 3 LARGE shopping bags of control units from nearly every manufacturer of aftermarket alarm/security/keyless entry/remote start systems that I've removed from customer's cars. And I don't have a single remote/working remote for any of them.

Those aftermarket installers often butcher the factory wiring under the dash.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote