SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #481
lrbraner
Member
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 375

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKastning View Post
Quick Update:

Morning fellas!

I took the Saturn for a quick "spin" (idle morning love).

Found out 2 things.

When I accelerated today; I held it at 2000 RPM's. This proved two things. a) At those RPM's; it seems to be generating fast enough (the engine) not to chugg out. I only idle'd for a short time; so I don't know 100% and b) The smoke from the video a long time ago; along with the oil smelling while running. I have discovered the cause of this finally. It was the protection hose (rubber weathering tubing - automotive) for my 4 AWG aux. cable. A bow was right on top of what I believe is the catylac converter? The metal horse (the part you sit; minus the gear), the unit the o2 sensors are plugged into.

This seemed to be getting hot quickly and burning the plastic. It was fumigating the inside of the car too and I didn't know until I fixed it today; propping it up appropriately with zip ties from any hot.

The only other thing I am up against (pre-repair attempt #2) is I get a small smell of fuel while I am sitting on the block or when the engine runs for a short bit; or even when it's off it still smells a bit like fuel.

Could anything that I have done with the fuel filter backwards have caused any problems that I maybe should be looking into as a repair on my negligence?

Looking forward to this up and coming repair; lines still got me iffy. I will invest in some plastic at the dollar store for catch material for fluids in case the lines spray me good. Hopefully it can be part to part swap and not have too much problem after a single fuel pressure decompress perhaps.

Today idling at 2000 RPM's truly gave me hope today!
Brandon;

First off I dont think your fuel filter is causing any major issue.
Secondly most fuel filters have an arrow indicating direction of flow.
Its there for a reason.
Going back to your original confusion as to proper installation, the photo of the Pro Select filter clearly has an arrow.
The indicated direction of flow supersedes any photo in a generic repair manual. Bottom line the photo is wrong.
Both my L series Saturns have the filter installed opposite of what the Haynes manual shows.
One of them is factory original. Again I dont think this is causing any major issue.
lrbraner is offline  
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #482
lrbraner
Member
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 375

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
In all these posts, I mentioned your fuel test valve as a possible source of leaks. I know this may seem inconsequential but I know from personal experience. No rhyme or reason as I used my fuel pressure gauge on occasion some years ago without issues until a leak occurred. The faint smell of fuel came wafting into the car and I tried my best to determine where the smell emanated from. After giving up, the smell would come and go until it returned when I tried looking under the hood again (dumb luck) - a small puddle of fuel directly under the fuel test valve. No matter how tight I tightened the cap, fuel leaked out. Fuel wasn't leaking from the fuel filter or anywhere in the rear tank. How can fuel fumes enter the interior while moving forward? Yes, air movement isn't smooth under our vehicles and can allow fuel fumes into the car. I simply ruled it out for the time until the smell returned and finally saw raw fuel coming from the test valve. Why me? A search for a replacement fuel rated valve stem was difficult but ordered. A temporary (not recommended except for emergency purposes) was using a new ac valve stem to seal off the test valve.

To use a phrase from an old infomercial, "I'm not only the president of Hair Club for Men, I'm also a client". My personal experience from actual failure and passing it on; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223568
Interesting thread. I had the same problem a couple of years ago.Took out the original valve to try and find a replacement. No luck.
Put it back in, got lucky,it stopped leaking.
Now I know where to look.
Thanks fdryer
lrbraner is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #483
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 671

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

A couple of things...

1) If you don't address i.e. fix the oil leaks... you and your passengers had better where a ventilator while driving.

2) Get a fire extinguisher that can work on oil fires!

You keep wiping up and cleaning oil spill and you fail to face the issue... the engine is puking oil and no matter how many times you clean up the oil messes... it is going to continue to puke out the gaskets. Do the oil cap test... so if pressure is building up while engine is running and if you remove the oil cap it will make a noise as it released the pressure. And, No, you can't drive the car without an oil cap.

You are preparing to drive a fire hazard down the road. If not for yourself... consider the other human lives you are putting at risk by avoiding the oil leak problems! It doesn't matter if the engine runs... It won't run for long if it is puking oil down the road.

Stop avoiding the inevitability of fix the oil leaks! If you are going to take off the runners and the plenum and the upper intake... replace the value cover gaskets which you have already proved are leaking badly! i.e. spark plug wells were filled with oil.

Do you really believe wiping the outside of the engine clean is good enough? Com'on man... get real! You are putting other people at risk if you drive that car as is!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #484
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
A couple of things...

1) If you don't address i.e. fix the oil leaks... you and your passengers had better where a ventilator while driving.

2) Get a fire extinguisher that can work on oil fires!

You keep wiping up and cleaning oil spill and you fail to face the issue... the engine is puking oil and no matter how many times you clean up the oil messes... it is going to continue to puke out the gaskets. Do the oil cap test... so if pressure is building up while engine is running and if you remove the oil cap it will make a noise as it released the pressure. And, No, you can't drive the car without an oil cap.

You are preparing to drive a fire hazard down the road. If not for yourself... consider the other human lives you are putting at risk by avoiding the oil leak problems! It doesn't matter if the engine runs... It won't run for long if it is puking oil down the road.

Stop avoiding the inevitability of fix the oil leaks! If you are going to take off the runners and the plenum and the upper intake... replace the value cover gaskets which you have already proved are leaking badly! i.e. spark plug wells were filled with oil.

Do you really believe wiping the outside of the engine clean is good enough? Com'on man... get real! You are putting other people at risk if you drive that car as is!
Rj,

LOL! Now I am a hazard? Nobody has confirmed gasket leaks; I most certainly haven't. And who's cleaning up leaking oil over and over? Not me... my engine doesn't "leak" oil. I don't have to clean any oil up. (Everything I am dealing with is previous owner & my over fill right after the car broke). -- Which is currently sitting in 2 spots.

a) It was the alternator as the main point of car failure

b) it was the engine that was the problem as the main point of car failure due to clogged crankshaft, hoses, housing, etc.

Where is this leaking oil besides what has been pictured?

Come back with positive feedback! Fire hazard for me and my passenger. Aren't you funny!
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #485
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
Brandon;

First off I dont think your fuel filter is causing any major issue.
Secondly most fuel filters have an arrow indicating direction of flow.
Its there for a reason.
Going back to your original confusion as to proper installation, the photo of the Pro Select filter clearly has an arrow.
The indicated direction of flow supersedes any photo in a generic repair manual. Bottom line the photo is wrong.
Both my L series Saturns have the filter installed opposite of what the Haynes manual shows.
One of them is factory original. Again I dont think this is causing any major issue.
That's good to know lbraner!

It's working better since I re-installed it and changed it the other way. the "bullet" end aimed towards the engine block and flat end out the back of the vehicle. (Is the current configuration that is working).
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #486
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
Interesting thread. I had the same problem a couple of years ago.Took out the original valve to try and find a replacement. No luck.
Put it back in, got lucky,it stopped leaking.
Now I know where to look.
Thanks fdryer
fdryer,

Inspecting my fuel lines a little more today showed me some things I want to share. I will post in the next batch.

The two lines that go across the engine block on the rails; seem as if one of them had it's metal teeth upside down / backwards. (Wasn't spun around).

The one in the back (the rear one) -- was very easy to spin the metal piece around (Very easy to move, jiggle, etc) -- even still.

The one in the front (the front one) -- was upside down -- was much tighter of a fit -- and had to use some finger force to spin it upwards like the other one behind it.

Now they look the same (Just still different) ... and the back hose appears as if it's been hit with a single "crimp". -- i.e -- the metal seems to be bent just slightly to give it that look.
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #487
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Update:

Fuel Lines (Crooked)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_cropped_20200424_180032.jpg (203.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2_cropped_20200424_180043.jpg (62.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3_cropped_20200424_180049.jpg (62.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4_cropped_20200424_180108.jpg (70.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5_cropped_20200424_180112.jpg (62.8 KB, 5 views)
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #488
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Update:

Fuel Lines (Manually Rotated Front Line)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_cropped_20200424_180841.jpg (171.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2_cropped_20200424_180850.jpg (61.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3_cropped_20200424_180855.jpg (59.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4_cropped_20200424_180900.jpg (55.7 KB, 3 views)
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #489
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Update:

I came across this device and am not sure what it is... Is this required? Does anybody know off the top of their heads what it is? Should a hose be connected to this device I wonder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_cropped_20200424_182320.jpg (82.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2_cropped_20200424_182331.jpg (197.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3_cropped_20200424_182359.jpg (76.2 KB, 4 views)
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #490
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold
 
02 LW300's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 747
 

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

That is an air conditioning port, the other is near the air cleaner. No hose but it originally had a cap on it. It is fine without the cap.
...
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #491
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
That is an air conditioning port, the other is near the air cleaner. No hose but it originally had a cap on it. It is fine without the cap.
02 LW300,

Awesome! Thank you for the knowledge!

I will keep an eye out for a cap replacement at the junkyard.
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #492
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 671

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKastning View Post
Rj,

LOL! Now I am a hazard? Nobody has confirmed gasket leaks; I most certainly haven't. And who's cleaning up leaking oil over and over? Not me... my engine doesn't "leak" oil. I don't have to clean any oil up. (Everything I am dealing with is previous owner & my over fill right after the car broke). -- Which is currently sitting in 2 spots.

a) It was the alternator as the main point of car failure

b) it was the engine that was the problem as the main point of car failure due to clogged crankshaft, hoses, housing, etc.

Where is this leaking oil besides what has been pictured?

Come back with positive feedback! Fire hazard for me and my passenger. Aren't you funny!
I am a reasonable man and when I know there is a reason to speak up... I do. I don't have to be right every time, but I'll be damn if I purposely ignore the obvious! It's a vehicle nothing personal.

I'm not going to waste time searching through your videos or your comments for evidence you made that prove you have a problem with crankcase pressure i.e. oil leaks. The evidence is overwhelming!

1) Alternator was covering in oil and likely over heated. When you commented the alternator was bad because it was covered in oil, I said, oil can't hurt an alternator. However, I didn't know it was covered as thick as an chocoholic covered ice cream cone! The oil came from somewhere?

2) In your videos, a massive amount of smoke rising like a BBQ from burning oil. The oil came from somewhere!

3) You stated you were losing a quart of oil a week. The oil had to go somewhere!

4) The plugged PCV hose, on the intake side of the plastic PCV bridge, was completely plugged. The crankcase pressure had been pushing oil a long ways to fill the end of the route. The oil had to come from somewhere and there is certainly more upstream!

5) The photos of the spark plug wells full of oil and you cleaning them out. The oil has to be leaking through the valve cover gaskets to be found inside the spark plug wells. Oil is leaking and rarely does it only leak in one direction.

6) Your comment about the burning off oil you mentioned is rising and you hope it is left over oil that you didn't completely clean up. If you haven't cleaned up leaked oil... why did you mention smelling oil? This means you were and have been cleaning up leaking oil that came from somewhere.

7) All the photos which indicate long time grim build up from oil leaking which actually pointed toward a plugged PCV hose which turned out to actually be completely plugged.

All these and more insure you have oil leaking problems. You're in complete denial if you don't think your engine in it's current condition isn't a fire hazard and dangerous to drive! When the engine compartment bursts into flames as you are driving... are you going to react calming and is everyone around you going to act calming, "Look dear, the car in front of me is on fire"... Wife, "That's nice dear". I don't think that's how it happens!

Every single problem thus far has been due to excess crankcase oil and oil leaks. Electrical component i.e. alternator, require cooling. The massive coating of oil all over the alternator was effectively equivalent to wrapping it up in a heating blanket and expecting it to not over heat and fail.

The bottom line here is you don't want me to be right. I got news for you... I am right and you need to address the elephant in the room and fix the oil leaks or don't drive that vehicle because it is at risk of starting on fire which puts everyone at risk that drives around you!

Now you mention you smell gas under the hood! All you need is a spark and that car will be vaporized and I pray you DON't hurt someone! Stop being so bullheaded! You have spent a ton of money shotgunning part after part replacing items that were of no consequence with the exception of the oil coated alternator. I got news for you... There is not ONE PROBLEM with your vehicle unless you agree it is oil leaks! Every issue thus far is from OIL LEAKS i.e. excess crankcase pressure! The PCV vent hose was completely plugged which you cleaned out with pipe cleaners. Now it's healed? I don't think so! You haven't fixed anything other than symptoms! Now you want to get some material to shield the leaking oil from the exhaust pipe? For God's sake don't drive the vehicle unless you Find/Fix the gas and oil leaks!

I don't know how to say it any clearer. Com'on Moses go to the mountain!

I for one will not be responsible IF anyone gets hurt. I did what I could to wake up Brandon and I am bit concerned that others on this forum are ignoring the obvious. A forum is to help others. Safety should be in high regard. If others don't speak up here... I plan to leave this forum because I will have no part in encouraging anyone to pursue ignore hazardous potential situations. Brandon's vehicle is a death trap unless he fixes the gas and oil leaks! Helping him skirt around the obvious clear and present dangers are risky. Brandon has confessed he is not a mechanic and knows very little about fixing cars. He admits there is a learning curve. Please stop telling him his car is fixed when it clearly is not save to drive while leaking oil and gas! It is not!

I am right about this situation. I am sorry I tend to more right than wrong, but I strive to be excellent because there is no point in life being wrong and ignoring the obvious.

ps I have been in a car fire so I know how dangerous they can be! Fox the leaks or don't drive it!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #493
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
I am a reasonable man and when I know there is a reason to speak up... I do. I don't have to be right every time, but I'll be damn if I purposely ignore the obvious! It's a vehicle nothing personal.

I'm not going to waste time searching through your videos or your comments for evidence you made that prove you have a problem with crankcase pressure i.e. oil leaks. The evidence is overwhelming!

1) Alternator was covering in oil and likely over heated. When you commented the alternator was bad because it was covered in oil, I said, oil can't hurt an alternator. However, I didn't know it was covered as thick as an chocoholic covered ice cream cone! The oil came from somewhere?

2) In your videos, a massive amount of smoke rising like a BBQ from burning oil. The oil came from somewhere!

3) You stated you were losing a quart of oil a week. The oil had to go somewhere!

4) The plugged PCV hose, on the intake side of the plastic PCV bridge, was completely plugged. The crankcase pressure had been pushing oil a long ways to fill the end of the route. The oil had to come from somewhere and there is certainly more upstream!

5) The photos of the spark plug wells full of oil and you cleaning them out. The oil has to be leaking through the valve cover gaskets to be found inside the spark plug wells. Oil is leaking and rarely does it only leak in one direction.

6) Your comment about the burning off oil you mentioned is rising and you hope it is left over oil that you didn't completely clean up. If you haven't cleaned up leaked oil... why did you mention smelling oil? This means you were and have been cleaning up leaking oil that came from somewhere.

7) All the photos which indicate long time grim build up from oil leaking which actually pointed toward a plugged PCV hose which turned out to actually be completely plugged.

All these and more insure you have oil leaking problems. You're in complete denial if you don't think your engine in it's current condition isn't a fire hazard and dangerous to drive! When the engine compartment bursts into flames as you are driving... are you going to react calming and is everyone around you going to act calming, "Look dear, the car in front of me is on fire"... Wife, "That's nice dear". I don't think that's how it happens!

Every single problem thus far has been due to excess crankcase oil and oil leaks. Electrical component i.e. alternator, require cooling. The massive coating of oil all over the alternator was effectively equivalent to wrapping it up in a heating blanket and expecting it to not over heat and fail.

The bottom line here is you don't want me to be right. I got news for you... I am right and you need to address the elephant in the room and fix the oil leaks or don't drive that vehicle because it is at risk of starting on fire which puts everyone at risk that drives around you!

Now you mention you smell gas under the hood! All you need is a spark and that car will be vaporized and I pray you DON't hurt someone! Stop being so bullheaded! You have spent a ton of money shotgunning part after part replacing items that were of no consequence with the exception of the oil coated alternator. I got news for you... There is not ONE PROBLEM with your vehicle unless you agree it is oil leaks! Every issue thus far is from OIL LEAKS i.e. excess crankcase pressure! The PCV vent hose was completely plugged which you cleaned out with pipe cleaners. Now it's healed? I don't think so! You haven't fixed anything other than symptoms! Now you want to get some material to shield the leaking oil from the exhaust pipe? For God's sake don't drive the vehicle unless you Find/Fix the gas and oil leaks!

I don't know how to say it any clearer. Com'on Moses go to the mountain!

I for one will not be responsible IF anyone gets hurt. I did what I could to wake up Brandon and I am bit concerned that others on this forum are ignoring the obvious. A forum is to help others. Safety should be in high regard. If others don't speak up here... I plan to leave this forum because I will have no part in encouraging anyone to pursue ignore hazardous potential situations. Brandon's vehicle is a death trap unless he fixes the gas and oil leaks! Helping him skirt around the obvious clear and present dangers are risky. Brandon has confessed he is not a mechanic and knows very little about fixing cars. He admits there is a learning curve. Please stop telling him his car is fixed when it clearly is not save to drive while leaking oil and gas! It is not!

I am right about this situation. I am sorry I tend to more right than wrong, but I strive to be excellent because there is no point in life being wrong and ignoring the obvious.

ps I have been in a car fire so I know how dangerous they can be! Fox the leaks or don't drive it!
Rj,

This is a "DO IT YOURSELF" forum! This is not a charge $2000-3000 for an engine rebuild that would better fit in buying a new VIN.

Your post is unexceptable for a DIY Saturn Forum and I will highly argue with you that this thread is extremely useful as I personally have learned so much from so many here. Not to mention the furthering in getting this car back on the road. This does not mean to abandon a vehicle or expect a DIY person to invest more than they are able to in order to make RJ happy.

This is your second time threatening to leave the forum because of me and my opening post.

I will refrain from posting on your post (I did post in efforts to assist you back). However going on and on about (Try this or that) and then saying all my efforts are wasted.

Also in regards to responsibility; I have not driven the vehicle on the road and I still do not believe there is a fire hazard. Once the vehicle is safely driveable with insurance I will be taking it to get engine degreased and get all the previous owner oil from under the vehicle and under the hood.

This will allow me to monitor correctly any leaks and one day I may be able to afford a head gasket engine replacement since Rj is convinced; this is my problem and DIY Saturn Fans is useless.

And there wasn't oil burning... You don't seem to read when you attack a topic of interest on a thread. The oil (which I thought was oil) was only plastic burning. Protective plastic from a 4 AWG cable) -- again -- your concerns -- extreme.

I much prefer talking to people who aren't discouraging me from learning to fix my own vehicle. It's too bad there are people discouraging people from DIY here and the only person doing so on this thread is Rj.
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #494
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 45,243
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKastning View Post
Update:

I came across this device and am not sure what it is... Is this required? Does anybody know off the top of their heads what it is? Should a hose be connected to this device I wonder?
As 02 LW300 stated, it's one of two ac service ports, normally capped to keep dirt out and provide a second seal against refrigerant leaks. Inside this low pressure port is threaded for a plastic cap. A schrader valve resides inside. R134a quick couplers connect to these ports similar to pneumatic tools connecting to air hoses. The high pressure service port should be behind the passenger side headlight with a cap on it. Both service ports are sized differently to prevent incorrect ac hose coupling.

If your ac works, get a cap on it. If ac is dead, ac repairs are as complicated as turbocharging but can be serviced with knowledge, tools and ac equipment. Ac repairs is more than store refill cans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac port.jpg (153.6 KB, 2 views)
...
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 04-25-2020 at 11:15 AM.
fdryer is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #495
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As 02 LW300 stated, it's one of two ac service ports, normally capped to keep dirt out and provide a second seal against refrigerant leaks. Inside this low pressure port is threaded for a plastic cap. A schrader valve resides inside. R134a quick couplers connect to these ports similar to pneumatic tools connecting to air hoses. The high pressure service port should be behind the passenger side headlight with a cap on it. Both service ports are sized differently to prevent incorrect ac hose coupling.

If your ac works, get a cap on it. If ac is dead, ac repairs are as complicated as turbocharging but can be serviced with knowledge, tools and ac equipment. Ac repairs is more than store refill cans.
fdryer,

Thanks for the additional information on the ac pressure port. Luckily I think my AC does work. (Unless it's impossible with the connector piece) under the car connected to that little box / wheel unplugged. Then I have never experienced actual ac (maybe just cold air on the selector).
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #496
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 45,243
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Click image for info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ff.jpg (171.7 KB, 5 views)
...
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #497
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Click image for info.
fdryer,

Thank you for this! Do you think it's normal for one to be loose and the other to be very very tight? I didn't think it lying on it's side was the right way. I made them both the same like the one on the back.
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #498
BrandonKastning
Senior Member
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough
 
BrandonKastning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,497

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

I want to share this YouTube video I found on engine treatment using SeaFoam and Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

I hope this helps others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ
...
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #499
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 671

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

Brandon, you are going to hurt some one with your intentional ignorance! This entire thread is filled with your ignorance. DIY doesn't mean you intentionally ignore safety or quit investigating an oil leak after you wipe down the outside of the engine! ACE mechanics don't ignore safety and even a DIY forums don't ignore safety! There are risks any time you drive sharing the road with others! If you are the mechanic, DIY or NOT, You are responsible for all repairs you ignore to perform!

Is it a safe vehicle or a flaming chariot... the liability to decide is on you alone!
Good Luck Baghdad Bob!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #500
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 671

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Won't stay running after a breakdown and bad...

To ADMIN: Five Hundred posts of nonsense and unbelievable intentional ignorance! It's like a bad Saturday Night skit meets Ground Hog Day! If I were admin, I would delete this mess! Nobody will ever read this book nor will they get any value from this massively chaotic thread! : dizzy:
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
2001 l300, fuel, l300


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 Saturn won't stay running bankshot S-Series General 20 05-07-2015 04:09 PM
98 Saturn SL won't stay running bankshot General Saturn Discussion 1 04-09-2015 09:55 PM
94 Saturn SL2 will not stay running moresaturn S-Series Tech 22 05-23-2013 09:59 PM
Headlights stay on - 2001 l300 atomicsink L-Series Tech 2 12-20-2010 12:23 PM
02 L300 fuel pump/car won't stay running problem MustangKatie L-Series Tech 2 08-11-2005 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.