SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Rudy160
Rudy160 is on a distinguished road

Sad 2006 Vue Severe Misfire

Last year my Vue started misfiring. It made it a little difficult to get though inspection but the car ran fine. No rough idle, no lack in power, nothing.
A year later the misfire is severe. Severe engine shake, idle jumps from 500rpm to 1100rpm with no in-between, if I put my foot down it feels like only half there cylinders are working.
I've replaced all the sparkplugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, o2 bank 2 upstream front sensor (the rest where fine), tested the map sensor, throttle body and fuel pump and couldn't find any problems. I'm fresh out of ideas.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2006 Vue AWD, 3.5L V6, 240,000 miles
Rudy160 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Vue Severe Misfire

At 240k miles, your Vue has given above average service.......until now. With greater mileage comes age related issues not discussed. While replacing "sparkplugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, o2 bank 2 upstream front sensor (the rest were fine), tested the map sensor, throttle body and fuel pump", some things should have been tested; compression and fuel pressure. Borrowing compression and fuel pressure gauges from Autozone, Advance Auto or other auto stores can help determine overall engine health. In addition to advanced diagnostics, you might consider possible catalytic converter damage, disintegration and partial to severe blockage of normal exhaust flow. A constipated engine can sometimes be difficult to diagnose when most of us suspect the engine as the fault.

A muffler shop with experience may be able to determine if catcons are choking off exhaust flow by connecting a low pressure gauge on the O2 sensor fittings. Exhaust pressure should be less than 3 psi. Diy home tests without a pressure gauge using an alternate method can be just as effective; removing the upstream O2 sensors before the catcons. The alternate exhaust paths will be loud but if engine power suddenly returns with a brief drive around the block then you've found the problem(s).

All catcons are made of a solid porous ceramic substrate to allow exhaust gases to flow into this sponge as catalytic reaction converts exhaust into harmless gases and water vapor. Damaged disintegrating catcons sometimes rattle like marbles with engine running or by banging it by hand and listening for loose cat guts. There shouldn't be any loose cat guts. Google for images of new and damaged catcons.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

At 240k miles if the valve clearances have never been adjusted they should be.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy160 View Post
Last year my Vue started misfiring. It made it a little difficult to get though inspection but the car ran fine. No rough idle, no lack in power, nothing.
A year later the misfire is severe. Severe engine shake, idle jumps from 500rpm to 1100rpm with no in-between, if I put my foot down it feels like only half there cylinders are working.
I've replaced all the sparkplugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, o2 bank 2 upstream front sensor (the rest where fine), tested the map sensor, throttle body and fuel pump and couldn't find any problems. I'm fresh out of ideas.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2006 Vue AWD, 3.5L V6, 240,000 miles
I believe that a compression test is advisable here. Any cylinder which falls below minimum specs. for compression will result in a permanent engine misfire. BTW, did the SES or Engine Tell-Tale light appear or not? An engine miss as described by you should've caused it to be illuminated and set a trouble code in the ECM.

Lastly, when was the timing belt last replaced? Honda recommends an interval of 105K miles, or 7 years -whichever comes first - for that service.
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
At 240k miles if the valve clearances have never been adjusted they should be.
^---- This. And hopefully you didn't burn any valves in the meantime.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
. In addition to advanced diagnostics, you might consider possible catalytic converter damage, disintegration and partial to severe blockage of normal exhaust flow. A constipated engine can sometimes be difficult to diagnose when most of us suspect the engine as the fault.

A muffler shop with experience may be able to determine if catcons are choking off exhaust flow by connecting a low pressure gauge on the O2 sensor fittings.
You can buy the gauges inexpensively. I think I paid around $20 for mine. But just as good of a test is to remove the O2 sensor and run the car and see if the problem goes away with the O2 hole open.

I would start more basic though. Valve clearance need to be done either way if not done so that's a good start. Otherwise codes and compression test.
-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote