saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
dohman.tesla
dohman.tesla is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Dizzy 2000 Saturn SL1

goof evening everyone and salutations!
-This is my first time posting as i have been reading previous forums and postings learning as such <3 much help.

I have a 2000 saturn sl1 with almso 127,300 miles on the car i dubbed thee gregory. so if i refer to greg we are talking about my car.

I have replaced the following
Spark Plugs
Water Pump
Starter
Serpentine Belt
Valve Gasket
Tires
Headlights
Motor Mounts
Throttle Postioning Sensor
Tempature Coolant Sensor
O2 bank1 sensor 1 Sensor

Things i have cleaned
Throttle Body
IAC Valve
EGR Valve

So im having problems with my car not Starting before hand it was no crank no start now i have all the parts needed for start up but my car wont do the final hoorah. i have purchased a new crankshaft positioning sensor which is being installed tomorrow. i unhooked the battery cables and let it sit for 3 days hoping it would reset itself but have had no luck. all my lights come on and accessories but i noticed when i put my car in accessory my gauges wont read or needles wont move but everything turns on. i get oil changes religiously and take very good care of my car verus the previous idiots. funny thing is i was just driving perfectly fine prior before hand and it randomly wouldnt do the thing when you turn the key. also we=hen i connect my obd reader to it it says no link. ? i have fuel pressure i hear the pump activating i checked the pressure release valve but no luck. i dont want to purchase the wrong thing and it not be the part i need. Battery cables? battery? fuses? im at a cross roads. please help saturn family.
dohman.tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL1

Welcome to the Forum !

With all the other stuff you have already done, what about the battery?
How old it the battery, have you verified the battery connections are free of corrosion and tight, verified that there is at least 12.5 volts DC across the terminals with engine OFF?
Might be needing a new battery or placed on a battery charger at a 10amp charge.

Also, what sparkplugs did you use, these cars prefer the plain old copper conductor plugs.
You mentioned the gauges aren't working, and there is no fuel at the rail, so, are you sure there is gasoline in the tank?

Last edited by toggenburg; 01-13-2021 at 11:19 PM.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
dohman.tesla

2000 SL1
Cool Re: 2000 Saturn SL1

i never let my tank get below a half especially in the winter. i have checked the fuel rail and i do have pressure. as far as the battery i spoke to the last owner before my friend sold it to me and they never replaced the battery so i assume its old old. replacing that and the crank sensor along with new cables tomorrow i have put more than 400 dollars to give up now
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #4
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

Have you checked for spark? sure you can find a topic on the forum how to check

No spark?
Do the coil packs appear to be really corroded where they meet the block?
(oil those bolts ahead of time if you attempt to pull them btw)

Have spark?
how old is the gas have you tried putting some in a jar and see if there is water?

check compression too..
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'd check the cig lighter fuse first for the OBD-II reader thing, then wiggle/jiggle the heck out of the key in run to see if the gauges respond. I'm suspecting a bad ignition switch based on the symptoms.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:12 AM   #6
dohman.tesla

2000 SL1
Happy Re: 2000 Saturn SL1

evidently and its highly suspect but my fuse was missing but it was working completely fine prior before hand and i dont touch those because im clueless on the electrical side. my mechanic literally just came right over and pop. i have experienced the car not starting before hand tho but got a new start but have seen the car be prone to these mishaps how can i prevent? GREGORY IS ALIVE <3
Old 01-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Get fuel pressure checked with a gauge. Hearing the pump tells you nothing about pressure, and seeing a spurt from the rail is nearly as useless. Also, fuel pressure testing has to be done at several places in the fuel system if pressure at the rail is improper.

Agreed, first step is to check for spark; "yes" or "no" on that can tell us a lot (and save you from throwing more parts at Greg).
billr is offline   Reply With Quote