SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Gsk1500
Gsk1500 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 sl2 starting on its own

I replaced the ignition cylinder in my 2000 SL2. In the process of trying to remove the old one the car started by itself when the old cylinder was removed. In hopes of putting the new one in it would fix the problem, it did not. What can I do to solve this issue?
Gsk1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2000 sl2 starting on its own

Hello, welcome to the Forums!

The only thing common to both starter and ignition is the ignition switch.
I'd say, the wires for the battery terminal on the ignition switch is swapped (or wire jacket skinned) making contact with the starting terminal on the ignition switch and is causing your starter to engage.
The car is an automatic I presume?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are two parts to the ignition system. The key fits into the mechanical lock cylinder to unlock the steering wheel. The lock cylinder is keyed to fit into the ignition switch that controls the electrical system that powers up EFI and provides 12v to the starting circuit to power the starter.

Which one was replaced? Lock cylinder or ignition switch?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

I would guess that the double "D" actuator post that the ignition lock cylinder slides onto in it's bore is slightly twisted relative to where it's supposed to be.

You can try loosening the 3 screws that hold the ignition switch to the opposite end of that actuator post, and rotating the switch to bring it back to it's proper position.

There also might be an issue where the steering wheel is torque-locked against the ignition cylinder's security lock causing a bind in the column, thus not allowing the ignition lock actuator post to relax back into position. Try turning the wheel away from where it's jammed and see if things relax.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote