SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 07-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Johnmonte
Johnmonte is on a distinguished road

Default Ion broken timing chain questions with pics

Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well. I have an 03 Saturn Ion and was experiencing a ticking sound coming from the cam shaft cover a few weeks back. It would come and go, sometimes no sound and then would come back. It was like that for a couple of weeks. Thought it was low on oil but oil was fine. The sound got louder and when I was listening to it I was revving the engine and when the idle came down it stoped. I took off the overhead cover and the timing chain is loose. I added on some pics. I did find a piece of broken plastic that looks like one of the chain guides. In the pic if you look at the left side you can see the broken plastic in the pic.

I'm trying to budget myself with this and wanted to know if there are any good videos to DIY fix this? Is there a way for myself to find out if there is any damage to the pistons and valves? Is there any good info on DIY valve job? Does anyone recommend a Chiltons manual over Haynes? I have weeks to do this and in no rush and thinking of doing it little by little each day. Please help if you can and I greatly appreciate your time and any info. Thank you, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn 3.jpg (86.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg saturn 1.jpg (193.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg saturn 2.jpg (217.8 KB, 10 views)
Johnmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
goaliemo
goaliemo will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Ion broken timing chain questions with pics

Cloyes has a really good video on YouTube about doing the timing on these
I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

And I shouldve read the entire post.

Was the car running when it jumped? Or is it still functional and you realized its at the end of its lifespan?

It is possible to do it yourself. It seems intimidating. But once you get in there it's not bad. Hardest part for me now is breaking the balancer bolt
Old 07-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #4
Johnmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmonte View Post
Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well. I have an 03 Saturn Ion and was experiencing a ticking sound coming from the cam shaft cover a few weeks back. It would come and go, sometimes no sound and then would come back. It was like that for a couple of weeks. Thought it was low on oil but oil was fine. The sound got louder and when I was listening to it I was revving the engine and when the idle came down it stoped. I took off the overhead cover and the timing chain is loose. I added on some pics. I did find a piece of broken plastic that looks like one of the chain guides. In the pic if you look at the left side you can see the broken plastic in the pic.

I'm trying to budget myself with this and wanted to know if there are any good videos to DIY fix this? Is there a way for myself to find out if there is any damage to the pistons and valves? Is there any good info on DIY valve job? Does anyone recommend a Chiltons manual over Haynes? I have weeks to do this and in no rush and thinking of doing it little by little each day. Please help if you can and I greatly appreciate your time and any info. Thank you, John
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
And I shouldve read the entire post.

Was the car running when it jumped? Or is it still functional and you realized its at the end of its lifespan?

It is possible to do it yourself. It seems intimidating. But once you get in there it's not bad. Hardest part for me now is breaking the balancer bolt
Thanks for getting back.The car was running and while it was running I was stepping on the gas and revving the engine. The week before when I first heard the ticking coming from the engine I gave it a little gas and the sound went away. The day it stopped the sound was a bit louder. I know I can do the job but my biggest concern it the valves. The car does have over 200k. The plastic was broken in a few pieces and thats what it sounded like when it stopped.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #5
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

If it didn't jump while you were driving valves are more than likely good to go.
Not saying it can't happen, but really the only time ive seen ecos needing head work is when it jumped going down the highway at 50+ mph

The 04 I just bought has almost 400k and still on the original chain. Ticking time bomb for sure.

The tensioner is the weak point. Oil changes are pretty much done every 2500 miles on my car for this reason since it goes off oil pressure.

Its not a difficult job. Just get everything new, and make sure you get the upgraded tensioner with the kit. It will have a hump on the head of the bolt.

Also make sure to use a drop of red loctite on the bolts for the guides as the top one has a tendency to back out.

Ottp sells upgraded bolts if you have the extra money. Doorman also makes a top bolt fix that uses the hex bolt for the top guide bolt to replace the tiny bolt.

If you need part numbers or more references if youre interested in the extra stuff just let me know. Not 100% necessary. But ive done it on all my ecos. I'm pretty hard on them though.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Johnmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
If it didn't jump while you were driving valves are more than likely good to go.
Not saying it can't happen, but really the only time ive seen ecos needing head work is when it jumped going down the highway at 50+ mph

The 04 I just bought has almost 400k and still on the original chain. Ticking time bomb for sure.

The tensioner is the weak point. Oil changes are pretty much done every 2500 miles on my car for this reason since it goes off oil pressure.

Its not a difficult job. Just get everything new, and make sure you get the upgraded tensioner with the kit. It will have a hump on the head of the bolt.

Also make sure to use a drop of red loctite on the bolts for the guides as the top one has a tendency to back out.

Ottp sells upgraded bolts if you have the extra money. Doorman also makes a top bolt fix that uses the hex bolt for the top guide bolt to replace the tiny bolt.

If you need part numbers or more references if youre interested in the extra stuff just let me know. Not 100% necessary. But ive done it on all my ecos. I'm pretty hard on them though.
Thank you for getting back. Iím going to give it a go. Thanks for telling me about the cloyes video. It was very easy. If I have any questions Iíll ask. The few videos that are on YouTube along with cloyes gives all the torque numbers. Thanks for your time and be safe brother. John
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Yea its not bad at all.
Im pretty frequent on all the saturn groups so ask away man