saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Kellyam
Kellyam is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default 2002 SL-2 5spd won't start

I bought this car used about a month ago. It has been fantastic except:
for the first few weeks occasionally (usually on very hot/humid days) it wouldn't start right off so had to try a few times
then on sunday, after driving it several times that day, wouldn't start, wouldn't turn over, didn't make any noise whatsoever that I could hear, but lights came on and the alarm if I didn't wear my seat belt
a nice guy at the store where I was stuck helped me jump start in 2nd by pushing it for about 20-30ft then it kicked right on
on monday, same thing, started fine all day, then when I went to leave work, no dice. coworker jump started.
tuesday, same deal
tuesday night, my friends came over and tightened up one of the bolts on the battery just a hair
wednesday no issues
yesterday, back to not starting only this time, it only started in the morning, then the rest of the day I had to jump start it (twice)
today, started right up in the morning, then had to jump start it.

I know it needs a tune-up- have a friend who will do it for me. Wondering where to go from here. I've read that the starter is hard to get to. How do you know if the starter really needs to be replaced? How do you know if it's the alternator? The battery?

I'm a relative novice when it comes to cars but I know some stuff.

Also- I had only driven it around town, maybe 10-20 miles a day up until last Thursday night when I drove down to NH which was about 100 miles, then around there for a bit, then back up on Saturday. No issues whatsoever during that timeframe. I had just had an oil change and a new oil filter put in the weekend before.

Any help is really truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Kellyam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: 2002 SL-2 5spd won't start

If you have a voltmeter, there is a process for checking the status of the alternator/battery. There is also a way to check the starter. It does sound like you could have a faulty connection OR a bad starter. Mine went less than a year ago and I have the same car you have. If you have the original starter, I would just have it replaced (I purchased my car new from the dealership). Since you don't have much history on your car, you may be better of doing the tests. Starter can be done by a novice, but it is hard to get to - with car on ramps, you have to lay on your back and 'feel' for the upper bolt which can not be seen. There is a good video on youtube if you search for richpin6a (or something close to that) and Saturn starter replacement. You could also take it to an Autozone/Advanced Auto and have them test your battery/alternator for free, but their tests are only as good as their tools and the person operating it.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Kellyam

2002 SL

I've been searching the forum all week, and have seen similar issues. I'm wondering about the oil change I had done at Prompto (hides face in shame). I'm a struggling single mom who works full-time with too many bills! Now I'm afraid that they did something there, is that possible? If it was slow corrosion from oil leaking in the wrong place?

Also I forgot to mention in my original post that my car has $97,300 miles on it.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyam View Post
Now I'm afraid that they did something there, is that possible? If it was slow corrosion from oil leaking in the wrong place?
Highly unlikely. Most of the 'experts' here will tell you to do your own oil changes because shops don't care about your car and will screw something up. I suppose this is possible, but I've owned my own cars for 27 years (5 different cars) and have never experienced a problem by allowing someone else change my oil (I've never changed my own oil). If the shop you took it to had a terrible reputation, you wouldn't have taken it there to begin with?

Edit: Starters will work/fail when they are on their last legs. One way to determine if it is the starter is to lightly hit it with a piece of lumber and then try to start the car. If it works, it is usually the starter that is going out.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

93k miles? If this car was used for frequent short trips it's most likely a worn out starter but you can check the battery and alternator in one test by using a multimeter to measure battery/alternator voltage. Measure voltage with engine off - voltage must be greater than 12 volts otherwise have the battery tested at your favorite auto store where you're likely to buy a replacement. With battery voltage greater than 12v, start the engine and measure voltage again - the alternator takes over and battery voltage should be greater than 13.3 volts and more likely around 14+ volts to indicate good alternator output. Battery and alternator good leaves either loose wiring to the starter or the starter. An original starter is most likely worn out.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Might be a quick & easy fix if the battery connections are corroded (sounds likely as moving the bolt helped). Should be an 8mm head on the battery cable bolt at the battery, and then brush it off with a wire brush (looks like a toothbrush but with steel or brass bristles). Start with the negative (black) side and leave it off when doing the positive (red) side.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Kellyam

2002 SL

Is the starter difficult to get to, i.e. does it need to be on a lift? I can ask my friend who knows a sh**t-ton about cars to do your lumber test. Sounds pretty wacky but I will definitely try it!

As for whether it's an original starter, is there a way I can find out? I can get in touch with the previous owner, but it wasn't his car for the duration, it was his uncle's who had passed away this spring. Def won't hurt to ask though.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Kellyam

2002 SL

Most likely my mechanic friend as a multimeter. I will talk to him as well. I'm hoping he can look at it tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Kellyam

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Might be a quick & easy fix if the battery connections are corroded (sounds likely as moving the bolt helped). Should be an 8mm head on the battery cable bolt at the battery, and then brush it off with a wire brush (looks like a toothbrush but with steel or brass bristles). Start with the negative (black) side and leave it off when doing the positive (red) side.
Crossing fingers!!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Is the starter difficult to get to, i.e. does it need to be on a lift?
You can put it on ramps and lay on your back and reach it, but it isn't easy - not for me. I gave up after 30 minutes and my mom advising (nagging) me to take it to a shop.

Quote:
I can ask my friend who knows a sh**t-ton about cars to do your lumber test. Sounds pretty wacky but I will definitely try it!
I thought the same thing when I first heard it.

Quote:
As for whether it's an original starter, is there a way I can find out? I can get in touch with the previous owner, but it wasn't his car for the duration, it was his uncle's who had passed away this spring. Def won't hurt to ask though.
If you had purchased the car from me, it would have a complete maintenance log in the glove box. But, I'm a little weird.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Kellyam

2002 SL

[QUOTE=TXSaturn02;2078421]You can put it on ramps and lay on your back and reach it, but it isn't easy - not for me. I gave up after 30 minutes and my mom advising (nagging) me to take it to a shop.

Is there a way to tap it with lumber without doing that? I'm confused
Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Is there a way to tap it with lumber without doing that? I'm confused
Pop the hood. You should be able to see it. It is near the firewall (thing seperating the passenger compartment from the engine compartment). It sort of looks like an oil filter in shape, just a bit bigger. If you find it, you just have to find an object long enough to reach it.

You have to change it from below, but you can tap it from above - if that is the source of your confusion.

Last edited by TXSaturn02; 07-11-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Welcome to Saturn ownership, and to saturnfans
Quote:
Is the starter difficult to get to, i.e. does it need to be on a lift? I can ask my friend who knows a sh**t-ton about cars to do your lumber test. Sounds pretty wacky but I will definitely try it!
If you ever want to know where something is on a car, put in your favorite search engine the following:

richpin06a video Saturn <put the part mame>

so, put in: richpin06a video Saturn starter

And you'll get a match like this video, that shows where the starter is and how to replace it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6awyslXkeI

as you can see, it's located on the backside of the engine, above the oil pan... so low and hard to reach, unless you are under the car.

The other thing I would check is the resistance of the positive battery lead. You can do a quick test by holding the red wire and slightly flexing it. If it feels 'crunchy,' it may need to be replaced.

One thing you don't mention, how long between the "no start" and the time you get a jump? Quite often, a dying starter will have symptoms only when it is hot/warm. This doesn't sound like what is happening, but I can't tell for sure from what you are saying. If you do need a starter, DB electrical is a good source
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...-19-liter.aspx

They also sell on ebay.

edit: some starter pics on this How To thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107573

and you can see it on the bottom left of this pic,
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...ine041asy0.jpg

And this picture shows the engine upside down, but another view of the starter
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...ine055oil2.jpg
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Kellyam

2002 SL

"One thing you don't mention, how long between the "no start" and the time you get a jump? Quite often, a dying starter will have symptoms only when it is hot/warm. This doesn't sound like what is happening, but I can't tell for sure from what you are saying. If you do need a starter, DB electrical is a good source..."

I will check the red cable, thank you so much!

The time between "no start" and getting it jump started varies. I've been trying all week to find a pattern, like on Sunday the engine had been through 3 or 4 rotations when it wouldn't start. Then later that night (about 6 hours later) it started fine. Started fine the next morning, then a couple times on Monday, then no dice. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't run it for long enough and then tried to start it back up within only 5 minutes of it being off. But on Wednesday night, I was sure that it wouldn't start up after I'd only driven it for like 2 minutes, then was in the grocery store for about 10-15. Started up. Then Thursday, worst it's been, and same today. Started this morning after not being driven since around 6pm the night before. I read someone's comment on a prior thread that the alternator was draining the battery overnight. Have you heard of that?

Thanks again to all of you! Keep it coming

I will report back once we've tried these things!!

I love my Saturn, was so excited to find it and got a great deal (I think). We used to have a Saturn that shortly after we got it all fixed up it was totaled. It was a huge bummer. Right before Xmas too. Oh well. Then we had (my ex and I) a Hyundai Santa Fe that **** the bed around 1.5yrs in, and a Saturn Forester which has a weeping head gasket, among other issues. I said screw this, my neighbor took over the payments and that thing is out of my driveway!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Also, some reading for new Saturn owners:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

Biggest thing is to check your oil frequently while the car is new to you. Get an idea of how much oil it is using, and never let it drop lower than 1/4 or so down on the hatch marks on the oil dipstick

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
The time between "no start" and getting it jump started varies. I've been trying all week to find a pattern,
While it was more likely NOT to start when the engine was warm, this was not always the case for me. I could not find a pattern either. You can't rely on the 'only when warm' theory.

fdryer suspected from the start (no pun intended) that it was my starter that was the issue, as he is doing now.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
Kellyam

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Biggest thing is to check your oil frequently while the car is new to you. Get an idea of how much oil it is using, and never let it drop lower than 1/4 or so down on the hatch marks on the oil dipstick
Is it weird that the Prompto guy was commenting on how "clear" the oil looked. He showed me the dipstick and it was, like so clear you could barely see the oil on it. I have checked it since and same thing. I got used to the Subaru having much darker oil LOL

Now that I think about it we used to be on this forum, and you guys helped us replace the e-brake components. We went to a junk yard, took the plastic pieces, and used somebody's video on youtube to replace! I did it myself actually and was very proud
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
The time between "no start" and getting it jump started varies. I've been trying all week to find a pattern, like on Sunday the engine had been through 3 or 4 rotations when it wouldn't start.
sorry, I wasn't clear... what I'm trying to figure out is, did the starter have time to cool off before the car started again? When my starter was dying, it would take 20~40 minutes to cool off, then it would start fine again. Started perfectly every morning when it was cold. Would start fine after really short trip, because it never heated up.

Not sure what you mean by "3 or 4 rotations" - you mean the engine would crank 3 or 4 times but not start?
Quote:
Then later that night (about 6 hours later) it started fine. Started fine the next morning,
These are both "cold starts" - starter is cool.

Quote:
then a couple times on Monday then no dice. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't run it for long enough and then tried to start it back up within only 5 minutes of it being off.
Sounds like you tried to start it with the engine/starter still hot? and it did not start?

Quote:
But on Wednesday night, I was sure that it wouldn't start up after I'd only driven it for like 2 minutes, then was in the grocery store for about 10-15. Started up.
short drive, cooled off for 10-15 minutes, then started fine

Quote:
Then Thursday, worst it's been, and same today.
engine was hot or warm when it failed to start?

Quote:
Started this morning after not being driven since around 6pm the night before
cold start, starter worked fine.

It's starting to sound like the starter is failing, won't start when engine is hot or warm. If you have to wait 15 minutes or so for someone to jumpstart the car, and it starts after being jumped, it might lead you to think it's an electrical (battery/alternator) issue.

But while you are waiting for the jump, the starter is also cooling. So the starting up and jumping might not be related.

Quote:
I read someone's comment on a prior thread that the alternator was draining the battery overnight.
If something were draining the battery overnight, your car would not start in the morning, or start very slowly (dying battery)

Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Is it weird that the Prompto guy was commenting on how "clear" the oil looked. He showed me the dipstick and it was, like so clear you could barely see the oil on it. I have checked it since and same thing. I got used to the Subaru having much darker oil LOL
they are probably used to people who don't get their oil changed until it's waaay overdue

the biggest killer of the engines in these cars is running them low on oil, because most of them burn oil. I check weekly and add about 6~9 ounces each Saturday. The number of people who have more than 400k miles on their cars in this forum is pretty amazing.

You may have lucked out and gotten a non-oil burner. Then again, some people will change the oil right before putting their car up for sale, so that if a buyer checks, they will see nice clean oil at the FULL level on the dipstick.

Quote:
Now that I think about it we used to be on this forum, and you guys helped us replace the e-brake components. We went to a junk yard, took the plastic pieces, and used somebody's video on youtube to replace! I did it myself actually and was very proud
Great job on the DIY repair, saves yourself hundreds of dollars over having a shop do it.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Kellyam

2002 SL

Ugh sorry I wasn't being clear either

Today and yesterday it has been sitting parked in my work parking lot for atleast 4 if not 6 hours before I try to start it after the morning start and it won't. Granted, it has been hot and humid the past few days and this is kind of the first time it's been like this so far this summer (it's been raining A TON). I live in Maine btw. So. Not sure about the hot/cold start thing. When I say it's been jump started, I mean, parked on a hill or someone pushed it for 30ft while I'm in 2nd with the clutch in and the key turned, then I release the clutch at the right moment and the engine roars to life. Drives fine. If I turn it off, then try to start it back up again whether 5 minutes or 6 hours later, no dice. But next morning, sure. Have to see what happens tomorrow.

Also it makes a quiet almost like a breath exhalation "put-put" sometimes and the engine shimmies, and this has been this way (not consistently of course) since I bought it. It does this that I know of while at a standstill, idling in 1st usually. She's trying to tell me something but I can't figure it out!